Magic Find Exploit?
I was doing a self tweek through act 2 in normal. I am sure you all know the trick. You create a game with the character you want past act 2. Then wait five minutes so the game “sticks” and switch to a more powerful character. Go kill Duriel. Switch back to your first character. Go back down and talk with Tyrael and you get the quest.

What I notices when I did this was that Duriel dropped nothing but rares (Plus the default town portal scroll.) Now I know that the magic find for the “first drop” when you kill a boss is bumped up a lot. This has got me wondering if Duriel runes might actually be a new trend.

Have a character in act 2 that you want to lvl up. Go do an arcane run. By the time you are done the game will be sticky. Switch to a more powerful character and do kill Duriel. Now because the first character will not have completed the quest you can do this over and over and over as many times as you want to.

From the small about of testing I have done so far, it looks like Duriel is the only boss this works on. Naturaly this all depends on exactly how much higher the first drop of a boss is and how quickly you can kill.
Andariel and Duriel have their dropps bugged in manner that you will be able to continually get teh "first time quest reward drop" instead of their reverting to drops that have a lower chance of rares, sets and uniques. It is possible to force this lower quality drop to happen, but you have to jump through hoops to have it happen and would not normally ever do this in normal play (no point in doing so either ;) ).
Your last sentence is a bit confusing, you mean that there is no point to forcing the lower chance drops? You might mean that there is little point to doing this in normal difficulty? You probably don't mean that this feature is unuseful?

My looking over d2data on occaison has never revealed Duriel in the top 30 listings. Andy is certainly popular, but there one must remember to talk to the townsfolk after killing Andy, not in the next game.
It's like this:

When you just play normally and run him normally, you get the good, always-rare-or-better, special quest drop.

If you specifically jump some hoops and work extra hard at avoiding something, you can manage to get the bad, boring, plain, non-quest drop.
Two friends of mine were exploiting this bug on the Realms.

One, the one without quest done, created the game. The other would kill meph. (I think this is how they did it.) Different CD keys, by the way.

As result, meph would always do the quest drop.

I didn't complain 'cos they offered me the unix ogre axe for my babster. (Which is the only way he can kill some monsters lol.)
Whereagles: They said later that this was fixed so it doesn't work anymore. :)
I kindof use something similiar to this in that I create hell games with my brb who has never done the countess and then leave and let my sorc do countess runs.

I always get the chest to drop for me , even if sometimes nothing much drops - it still makes countess runs a little more profitable.

I'm ashamed that I never thought to exploit this matter further...
Since it takes forever to reach Duriel, he won't be the new Meph. :P Unless I want town portals too.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Andariel and Duriel have their dropps bugged in manner that you will be able to continually get teh "first time quest reward drop" instead of their reverting to drops that have a lower chance of rares, sets and uniques.

Is this bug only present in v1.10? In all game types -- single-player/open and B.Net/closed games?
dta,Dec 9 2003, 07:51 AM Wrote:Is this bug only present in v1.10? In all game types -- single-player/open and B.Net/closed games?
In the 1.10 game, yes. The realms and an unmodded game (SP/LAN/open games), yes. If it is an open game that the host is using a modded verison of, they may have change to the settings for this though.

The switches for this quest vs. non-quest drop are in the monstats.txt file of the patch_d2.mpq file.