Writing-spasm/cramps
(this is not helping)
------

I'm currently writing some notes on the PC based on my lecture notes so that I can better prepare for my exam in modern European history. As I progress, it becomes more and more difficult to write without having to correct spelling errors. I also seem to be experiencing some sort of light cramp, where it feels like my hands are sweating. In addition to this, my wrists feel constrained and writing becomes more and more painful. (as I said, writing this isn't helping.)

I've tried doing the right things:
* Sit up straigth
* Elbows and knees in a 90 degree angle.
* Try to relax
* Sit on a comfortable chair.
* Line of sight to the computer screen is more or less completely level.

But it's not helping. I tried holding my right arm (the one hurting the most) under cold water for about a minute, and although it helped with the sweating, it didn't cure the aching. Besides, having written this thread, the sweat is back.

Any advice on how to fix this? I'm considering taking a break for a few hours and continue tonight. But if it's not better, I'm in a worse position then than I am now.

(My exam is Tuesday afternoon.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
You don't mention it in your post, but are you using any wrist support? I've had pretty good results from something like this.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I bought myself an ergonomic mousepad when I was in England this summer. I tried it a couple of times when I got home, and it acted like a catalyst for the same symptoms I'm experiencing now.
Here are three things I believe might help:

1. Get lots of rest. Fatigue makes strain much more common.
2. Stretch out your body before you start. Even athletes suffer strains and pulls if they don't stretch out.
3. Invest in a Koosh Ball, or some sort of tension reliever. If you do enough work on a computer, Carpal Tunnel becomes a reality.
Hi,

That sounds serious.

For the short term, try an ice pack on the inside of the wrist, elastic bandages to help support the wrist, your favorite form of anti-inflammation (e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.).

As soon as possible (like in the next couple of days), get checked out for carpel tunnel syndrome or any similar repetitive stress injury. Meanwhile, avoid using the computer for anything not completely necessary. Since repetitive stress injuries are self re-enforcing, the sooner you stop the irritation by stopping the motions that lead to it, the less time it will take to heal and the better the chance of complete recovery. A few extra days can put you in the position of having to spend months without the use your hands.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Took a break for a few hours, and the pain went away, but as I started writing it came crawling back.

I've noticed similar behaviour in my hand when I play Diablo II for several hours without rest. Even if I go all Saturday night and rest my hand till Sunday, it'll flare up again within the first half hour or so.

I suppose it's just a matter of limiting my exposure.

That's not easy when I'm posting on (*counting*) 6 different message boards. (And writing 30 pages of exam notes in 2 days.)

But I'd still rather suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome, than use Internet-abbreviations ;)
The regular keyboard is not adjusted to the natural shape of the hand (for example: the hand naturally angles downward instead of upward) and it could cause trouble, especially if you use the keyboard A LOT, if this is a serious thing you should try buying one of the more hands friendly keyboards, even though it'll be quite hard at the start to get used to it at the end it'll be a lot better.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I've noticed similar behaviour in my hand when I play Diablo II for several hours without rest. Even if I go all Saturday night and rest my hand till Sunday, it'll flare up again within the first half hour or so.

Diablo II can be really really bad for your right hand, although not quite as bad as Diablo with the rapid clicking.

Whatever steps you take, you really should consider taking a break from the gaming and websurfing for a few days (no seriously, stop laughing!). As Pete said, once this starts to get bad you can make it a lot worse. It can become much more than just a nuissance.

Besides, it's sometimes nice to step away from the computer. Who knows what great things you could do with all that time? Although if you are like me, you would probably have withdrawal symptoms and spend the whole time watching TV. Still less stress on your hands and wrists though.
And don't forget to rest. I had a similar problem whilst taking graphic design, and my instructor told me fatigue played a major role in this type of problem. Sure enough, she was right. As soon as I took some time away, things got a lot better.
Often my hands cramp up into an involuntary fist. My feet would too, but they don't bend that far. Not for lack of trying. I have at least one herniated muscle in my right ankle. To help with this I take quinine sulfate. The method of action is similar to curare. May be overkill for your condition, but it usually works after about an hour.

Try thinking of those little fellows in act 3.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Nystul,Dec 1 2003, 04:01 AM Wrote:I've noticed similar behaviour in my hand when I play Diablo II for several hours without rest. Even if I go all Saturday night and rest my hand till Sunday, it'll flare up again within the first half hour or so.

Diablo II can be really really bad for your right hand, although not quite as bad as Diablo with the rapid clicking.

Whatever steps you take, you really should consider taking a break from the gaming and websurfing for a few days (no seriously, stop laughing!).  As Pete said, once this starts to get bad you can make it a lot worse.  It can become much more than just a nuissance.

Besides, it's sometimes nice to step away from the computer.  Who knows what great things you could do with all that time?  Although if you are like me, you would probably have withdrawal symptoms and spend the whole time watching TV.  Still less stress on your hands and wrists though.
Sound advice I'm sure.

I'll try to take breaks whenever the cramps come back. Thank God I don't notice any pain while playing Resident Evil Zero on my Gamecube ;)

I also have some (*ehem*) tv-series on my PC I can watch, which doesn't require the use of my hand.

Also, with Christmas coming up, snow can't be far away. We all know what that means. Calvin & Hobbes-type snowmen-display on our front lawn :lol:
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 1 2003, 04:16 AM]
Sound advice I'm sure.

I'll try to take breaks whenever the cramps come back. Thank God I don't notice any pain while playing Resident Evil Zero on my Gamecube ;)
Sound advice indeed, and I don't think you are really taking in what Pete and Nystul have told you.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is very debilitating and it doesn't 'just go away' with breaks. Give yourself some preventative medicine and stop the gaming for a while, to make sure you don't do this to yourself.

Do seek some professional help - now. My husband keeps a sign in his office waiting room that might be germane here: "Five Dangerous Words - Maybe It Will Go Away."
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

For me , and would guess many of us, the daily use of a keyboard has become a reality we cannot avoid. But, even when I need to hammer in 10,000 lines of code day after grueling day, I try to remember to step away from the keyboard periodically, and stop typing occasionally to stretch, let the blood flow in different ways.

You need to heal, so do what is neccesary to let your body heal.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I do do some stretching exercises every once in a while for a minute or two, but it's easy to forget while concentrating on something else.
What about some text-to-speech software? I've seen mixed reports about their results for english-speaking people, but it might be worth a try. Also, voice-activated commands for windows might work too (haven't used those since my Windows 3.1 days, so I'm not up to date).

I'm a native Spanish speaker, so my experiences with both won't help you much, YMMV ;)
[wcip]Angel:

I would suggest you get examined for repetitive stress injuries and try a rigid support device like this. I purchased one from my local CVS pharmacy a few months back and I suspect I will end up getting hemorrhoids before a sore wrist, if that's any comfort to you. :lol: Together with some behavioral changes, namely using the mouse with my left hand unless I'm playing games, I don't think I will be developing capal tunnel syndrome in the near future. The good thing about such a device that is attached directly to your wrist is that you can use it with both your keyboard and mouse, plus while you sleep. I'm not making up that last point either; it was a suggestion from my friend who does research on work injuries. He will now be the doctor who was a friend of a stranger you met on the internet, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it. ;)
I can't really help you out much, but from what [wcip]Angel describes, the first thing I thought of was carpal tunnel syndrome.

I would suggest you to go to the doctor and get yourself checked out.

Now, as a med student is in third year who has found 2 carpal tunnels syndrome, I ll describe it (somehow) to you:

-In your wrists, besides your muscle fibers and nerves, you have tissue that helps support and maintain the tendons (spelling?) in their place. It is really common that in a person that uses his hands a lot (such as using a computer), those fibers can change size and become bigger, thus compressing the nerves and causing the problems you seem to have now.

I suggest you go to the doctor...

Do you sometimes feel like your arm has walking ants on it? (somehow like a tickling)?

Do you sometimes stop feeling your arm (as if it was anesthezised (spelling again :()?

It really ain't much of a problem.

I'm not really sure if it can be treated with drugs, but the surgical procedure is pretty simple. They enter your arm and cut the fibers; that's it.

Hope that helps :)
Raz
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 1 2003, 08:23 AM] But I'd still rather suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome, than use Internet-abbreviations ;)
ROFL!

er... I mean, jolly good tie in with the other thread, my dear Lurker.

Perhaps you could go the low-tech route, and get someone to type for you (the only essential thing you listed). If you can't find a volunteer, I'm sure you could hire some kid as an afterschool job for cheap. Perhaps check out the local school for typing students?