fire absorb circa rising sun: mechanics?
I recently found a rising sun ammy and I am playing a lvl 76 enchantress who uses a glimmershred to deal her damage.

I was wondering if anyone could explain the mechanics behind the absorb.

I have max hell resists for fire and when equiped this ammy gives me 55 absorb, but it just doesnt seem to mathmaticaly click for me...

example:

I go and stand toe to toe with hell diablo and let him flame me.

I resist 75% of the damage and the remainder of this goes on to hurt me(normaly).

I absorb 55 points, which would seem to mean that 55 points of this damage doesnt hurt me but instead turns around and heals me for 55 points - a net total of 110 points dam avoided.

My question is: If this is the way it works, how much fire damage does hell diablo do?

It would seem to be a very small amount, but we know better than that - so what gives?
MDR, IIRC, is calculated after resists now, and my sorc with 25 MDR and 75% resist all is not affected by Hell Council Hydras at all... Did you check for MDR on your equipment? I think it would change your results greatly.
I can only answer for the 1.09 case (which happens to match your conjecture). My polearm weredruid had max resists against Hell Diablo and still took enough fire damage to force pot drinking (he had around 800 HP). Once I got a Rising Sun, fire damage was easily replaced by life leech.

Lacking a similar druid in 1.10, I cannot say, but I can say that d2data has all the numbers you seek.
Edit: Now Tommi throws me into doubt. Gah! :blink:

Direct absorb eh? *Another test appears on the "to do" list*
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Rising sun gives direct absorb not the percentage one. For damage reduction mechanics, see:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Corect me if I am wrong, but isnt Diablos fire-breath atack half fire and half physical?
WarBlade,Dec 4 2003, 11:18 AM Wrote:. . . Now I can only hope that 1.10 Absorption works the same as it did in 1.09, otherwise I'm just waffling pointlessly.
It's capped at 40% now. :P

------------------

Edit > (Re)moved to other thread.
Really? Is this a 1.10 thing?
Damn. The things you miss when LL goes down. :(
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
No. His breath is lightning. Not sure if there is a physical component. His flame circle and fire wall are fire.
Lightning Breath of Death is about 30-50% physical, 50-70% lightning:
Tommi on January 8 2001 Wrote:Normal Diablo:
- Physical: 6-7 (6.5)
- Lightning: 8-20 (14), vs 75% lr: 2-5 (3.5) lightning
= 31.7 % physical, 68.3% lightning

Nightmare Diablo:
- Physical: 21-22 (21.5)
- Lightning: 23-35 (29), vs. 75% lr: 5.75-8.75 (7.25)
= 42.6% physical, 57.4% lightning

Hell Diablo:
- Physical: 41-42 (41.5)
- Lightning: 43-55 (49), vs. 75% lr: 10.75-13.75 (12.25)
= 45.9% physical, 54.1% lightning
It has been probably changed since, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
i ment firewall, sry.

It so looks like hes breathing it on you though, doesnt it? lol

anyways, I'm sure you all got the point of what I was trying to say - I guess I just need to be more careful with my wording in a technical discussion forum.

Thank you all for the info, though I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is going on... if anyone knows what line of code from the mpq is involved here, I would appreciate a little direction as I've been hunting it down for days now.
Actually, I was referring to twentythree. :)