shameless exploit
I just started baby ladder characters last week. What I found last night is that the savage polearm recipe works with the free staves that come with baby sorceresses! One could simply start a throw-away character and have her drop her staff into the game. Thus a free staff, a cracked sash, a chipped diamond, and a kris are all one really needs. Everything but the chip (or I believe any grade of diamond) can be purchased from Fara and Charsi for a total cost of less than 1100 gold.

On my first try I got a Savage Halberd of Readiness, with which I was quite pleased.

And I am exceedingly pleased that the lurker lounge is back! Thanks, Bolty and everyone!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
You could raise that gold by making a new character, selling the 4 healing pots, 2 scrolls, weapon and shield for 8 gold and then repeating. Before the end of the day you could easily have 1100 :lol:
I'm still trying to see the "shameless exploit" in this. A clvl 1 char is not going to raise 1100 gps very fast, and you can buy some plain staffs for less than that. So you are depending on a higher level char for the gold (and finding that chipped diamond), in which case buying a staff is trivial (any higher level that cannot afford a plain staff probably cannot obtain chipped diamonds either). While finding the chipped diamond, you'll probably find the remaining materials too.

A clvl one can produce the uber cruel swords when given the right stuff, this is not that much different. If you could immediately equip that savage halberd, then.....

As an aside, I've always wondered why items had lvl requirements, most players are counting on playing into the 60s, which is above the majority of the lvl requirements. I always thought if one could figure out a way to use an uber item and still manage to live long enough to benefit from it, that you deserved it. I suppose it is another feature that the mindless hordes demanded.
I just want to say that this recipe is really good. I started a leaping polearm barb on ladder, and as soon as I got my cube I was hooked. So far the only decent ones I've gotten are a 66% savage battle scythe of the locust and a 73% savage partizan. Right now my barb is level ~20, so for a while I get to sit there and look at them in my stash. The only bad side of this recipe is that it's terribly addicting and that I no longer ever have any diamonds (any type works). :)

I'm still holding out for an 80% savage partizan of evisceration.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Quote:I'm still holding out for an 80% savage partizan of evisceration.

Since that's impossible, you'd better set your sights a bit lower ;).

The output ilvl is 50. Partizans are qlvl 35. That means the alvl will be 33. Evisceration needs alvl 45. The best max damage suffix you could get is "of Slaughter" (+15-20).
Quote:Since that's impossible, you'd better set your sights a bit lower .

The output ilvl is 50. Partizans are qlvl 35. That means the alvl will be 33. Evisceration needs alvl 45. The best max damage suffix you could get is "of Slaughter" (+15-20).

Hey, I'd be happy with that!

I never really understood the ilvl, qlvl, alvl stuff anyhoo, so I guess now would be a good time to ask. Which is determined by the level of the monster that drops? Is alvl the one shown on the AS next to the suffixes? What the heck do alvl, ilvl, and qlvl mean? I figured you would be the one to know. :)

Thanks for help!
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Because I've been explaining this so often recently, I'll just recommend reading Ruvanal's alvl information. That should explain everything nicely. If you have further questions, just ask.

As for the AS, I wouldn't trust anything that's listed on the prefix/suffix pages. There are some pages that are very accurate and useful, and those aren't part of them. However, I do think the number in parentheses is supposed to be the required alvl for those affixes.
It'll cost me $6.95/month to subscribe, and I have to do that to download.

Do you have any other places with that information?

NOTE: The stuff I wrote here sounds kind of whiny, but I couldn't get what I was trying to say out without sounding that way. I appreciate what you're doing here and always do. Really. :)
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Kartoffelsalat,Nov 27 2003, 03:30 PM Wrote:I just want to say that this recipe is really good.  I started a leaping polearm barb on ladder, and as soon as I got my cube I was hooked.  So far the only decent ones I've gotten are a 66% savage battle scythe of the locust and a 73% savage partizan.
On my third try I got a Savage (71%) Partizan of Readiness. At the moment Leharas (my hireling) is using Malice in a superior brandistock. Duriel was a lot more trouble than I had expected. Fortunately the countess has been kind to us.
Kartoffelsalat,Nov 28 2003, 03:12 AM Wrote:It'll cost me $6.95/month to subscribe, and I have to do that to download.
No, there are also free download servers on fileplanet below the "high speed" servers for subscribers.
Though sometimes you have to wait a litte until your download starts
Thanks! Got it downloaded and it answered my questions. Thanks, Ruvanal, Adeyke, Lazydog.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Brista,Nov 27 2003, 04:42 AM Wrote:You could raise that gold by making a new character, selling the 4 healing pots, 2 scrolls, weapon and shield for 8 gold and then repeating. Before the end of the day you could easily have 1100  :lol:
Actually I used to do this in Wasteland. It made me a little sad to have to get rid of all those poor people to take their possessions, but it worked. I also mined silver all day with a baby character, only to turn around and be killed by a cave viper.

(Sorry if slightly off topic.)

Edit: can't spell, as usual.
This used to be pretty standard

Bard's Tale in the 80s gave me a character called Snorri, who promptly started what a friend called "Snorri's Tours"

With 5 starting characters, the genial Snorri would invite them to Pool Gold and then lead them into a nearby alley to get murdered

The now reasonably wealthy Snorri would then invite 4 more tourists to view the backstreets, having first pooled their gold with their reputable host

I think you got about 250 gold per character in that game. Snorri usually started off in earnest with at least 10K

With hindsight I would have done better to actually just get on with it and play but then that wouldn't have been so memorable :lol:
Now That brings up memories, Bard's Tale... the only other game I've possibly spent more hours on than Diablo(I,II&LOD).
Quote:With 5 starting characters, the genial Snorri would invite them to Pool Gold and then lead them into a nearby alley to get murdered

This reminds me of one of the might and magic games I've played(maybe it was 3):

There was a place in town that you could go to have your characters work for a week for 100 gold. There was also a bank in town with a fixed % interest per week(maybe about 5% IIRC). I would work for well, years of game time, and acumulate millions of gold in the bank from interest, then start my adventure.

The only problem is that when your characters are 250 years old(they get increased int/wis, but decreased physical stats), They die every time you rest :lol:

Fortunately, you can fire all of your elderly adventurers, and rehire strapping young ones to replace them. I like to think of it as the hard working grand parents leaving all their money to their do nothing adventurer children.