Diablo Multiplayer or single
Post here
This really should have been posted on the Diablo forum instead of the Lounge. But to answer your question, I think I would look at it this way:

For the first time you play the game, single player is probably better. You can save the game and reload it right where you left off, which is nice for the first run through. The game is a bit easier in single player mode. There are a lot more quests in single player, some of which are kind of cool.

Once you have "beaten the game" with that first single player character, there really isn't much left to do with single player mode. At that point, it's best to start a new, multiplayer character. Multiplayer allows you to play with other people (duh), but also generally gives the game more staying power. The most obvious things are the presence of nightmare and hell difficulty, and the ability to enter any section at the start of a new game instead of having to start on dungeon level one. So while a single player character is really fun for one run through, a multiplayer character is fun forever (until they get so powerful that it just becomes pointless).
Ah, but which Diablo is he talking about?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
This one, silly. :rolleyes:

[Image: diablo.jpg]
Definately better singleplayer :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
...if only because you can only fit one person in there. :ph34r:
Hi,

If you like to play alone, single player is better in D1 because of the quests and in D2 because of /players 8. If you prefer the spirit of fellowship that you get by playing with others, then, of course, multiplayer is the only choice.

So, tell us what you like and we'll tell you what you'll like.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

What is this, an early new year's resolution? Of all the people NOT to flame... :) I was so looking forward to your response! :D
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hi,

Guess I'm getting soft. Or too subtle. Actually, the last line of my post should be read with extreme sarcasm. But I haven't found the right font for that, yet. ;)

--Pete

Quote:So, tell us what you like and we'll tell you what you'll like.

LOL :)

Mind if I quote you on that and add it to my sig? (To replace... something..)
Why not just play online, but play alone, so if you ever get the urge to play with someone else, you can, whereas if you play offline, you'll not have that option.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Nov 8 2003, 01:15 AM] Why not just play online, but play alone, so if you ever get the urge to play with someone else, you can, whereas if you play offline, you'll not have that option.
That would be lag. And the spammers out in the channels. And the necessity of being online to play.

I have broadband, and I could play online if I wanted to. But my connection still isn't so great. I've spent a grand total of... maybe five hours of play online, over the past three years. And it was the lag, the spammers, and the excessive power-gamers that turned me off of it. Not to mention that I happen to attract every moron that can somehow learn to use a computer, but can't learn how to do arcane things like 'speaking English', or 'using the shift key'.

Really. A place where the most common phrase is "hehehehe i mak u di stfu nub!!!1" is not a place I want to be. It is in fact a place that I want to destroy.
> a tear wells up in my eye <

I think that is the saddest thing I've heard today. 200,000 players on Battle.net at any given point -- and we opt to play on-line and alone.

Oh, well. I've done it too. :)

To answer the original poster. I'd say it depends. But, more on your bandwidth and whether you can find someone you can tolerate to play with online. In open realm games I just got tired of never getting to pick up any of the good loot, potions, or gold. I always end up funding the resurrection of my merc and repair of my gear out of pocket, and somehow leave the experience poorer, but richer in experience. But, if you can find some mature folks who will actually act decent and share with you (like the folks at AB), then it is more worthwhile than single player.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Mind if I quote you on that and add it to my sig? (To replace... something..)

It's all yours :)

--Pete

Bob the Beholder,Nov 8 2003, 03:06 AM Wrote:That would be lag.&nbsp; And the spammers out in the channels.&nbsp; And the necessity of being online to play.

I have broadband, and I could play online if I wanted to.&nbsp; But my connection still isn't so great.&nbsp; I've spent a grand total of... maybe five hours of play online, over the past three years.&nbsp; And it was the lag, the spammers, and the excessive power-gamers that turned me off of it.&nbsp; Not to mention that I happen to attract every moron that can somehow learn to use a computer, but can't learn how to do arcane things like 'speaking English', or 'using the shift key'.&nbsp;

Really.&nbsp; A place where the most common phrase is "hehehehe i mak u di stfu nub!!!1" is not a place I want to be.&nbsp; It is in fact a place that I want to destroy.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I too feel physical pain in the face of 7133-speakers, and feel the unrepressable urge to do some real violence to these people whenever they rear their ugly faces.

However, if you play alone online, you won't be bothered by these people. With 1.10 you never have to enter the chat before a game, and you can password your games each time you play, so you'll play alone.

If you have broadband, you really shouldn't experience lag, but if you do, who am I to say it shouldn't happen? What speed is your connection?

edit: .. and if you have broadband, aren't you online constantly?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Nov 8 2003, 10:36 AM]
Bob the Beholder,Nov 8 2003, 03:06 AM Wrote:That would be lag.  And the spammers out in the channels.  And the necessity of being online to play.

I have broadband, and I could play online if I wanted to.  But my connection still isn't so great.  I've spent a grand total of... maybe five hours of play online, over the past three years.  And it was the lag, the spammers, and the excessive power-gamers that turned me off of it.  Not to mention that I happen to attract every moron that can somehow learn to use a computer, but can't learn how to do arcane things like 'speaking English', or 'using the shift key'. 

Really.  A place where the most common phrase is "hehehehe i mak u di stfu nub!!!1" is not a place I want to be.  It is in fact a place that I want to destroy.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I too feel physical pain in the face of 7133-speakers, and feel the unrepressable urge to do some real violence to these people whenever they rear their ugly faces.

However, if you play alone online, you won't be bothered by these people. With 1.10 you never have to enter the chat before a game, and you can password your games each time you play, so you'll play alone.

If you have broadband, you really shouldn't experience lag, but if you do, who am I to say it shouldn't happen? What speed is your connection?

edit: .. and if you have broadband, aren't you online constantly?
Yes, I'm online constantly. But I'm connected through a rather crappy wireless LAN. It's not as fast as a LAN should be, and it suddenly loses signal at the most innoportune times.

I did play online some, though. If I remember correctly, I mainly just started a public game, which no one ever joined, and there was lag like crazy. Well, lag like crazy compared to single player, at least. There were black walls, and I ended up whacking monsters over and over and over, when I had already killed them (they just hadn't figured it out yet, apparently). And it took several seconds for the vendors' shops to load.

It wasn't too bad, though. A level 84 paladin gave me his entire set of equipment because he wanted to start over without twinking. :) Too bad I couldn't use any of it for a very long time, and really didn't want to play that long.