Unkillable Lurkers
My first 1.10 softcore Ladder character is a Leaf-equipped sorc, with whom I've been exploring the Fire Bolt / Fire Ball synergy. She's currently level 25, and has had little difficulty killing anything-- except Leapers.

Even many Leapers are killed quickly, but some of them just refuse to die. When their life bar is down to a small sliver, Fire Balls don't affect them, and neither does Blizzard.

After first noticing this phenomenon in Act II, I switched to a direct attack, and was able in one or two instances to kill the Leaper. However, this has not worked with Act III Tree Lurkers or Act IV Cave Lurkers. I can freeze them (with Glacial Spike, Blizzard, or cold armor), but I can't make them take any more damage once the life bar is down to a small sliver.

Both the sorc and the merc (Act I Fire Arrow Rogue) continue to take damage from the Leaper, though. In fact, the merc doesn't even "see" the Leaper; she just stands there without responding until I intervene.

I've only observed this problem while playing solo in private games. When a friend joined me on a Paladin with Conviction aura, the problem did not occur. Apparently the aura allowed the sorc to do enough damage with the inital Fire Ball or Blizzard strike that the "small sliver of life bar" condition was never met.

My conjecture is that after the Leaper / Lurker takes X damage, parts of the game consider the critter dead, while other parts do not.
Zyr

Unlikely, as this would be a precise figure, so it would happen very rarely, not as what is happening with you. I would try re installing the game and hope that fixes it, but that means your char may have to be deleted too. Dunno, thats only thing i can think of <_<

Kier
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
This does seem to be a bug with the leaper-class monsters in 1.10.

At least four times today, in two different singleplayer games, I've encountered elementally-invulnerable leapers in Act 2. Here's the information I have so far:

1. Leaper ran up to my sorceress and was frozen in mid-attack by her Frozen Armor.
2. Sorceress attempted to harm frozen leaper with Frost Nova / Ice Blast / Glacial Spike
3. Leaper appeared to take no damage. (This happens seemingly at random, sometimes producing elementally-immune leapers and sometimes not.)
4. Leaper thawed and had thin, ~1 HP life bar. Sometimes a death animation will occur, followed by the leaper magically rising up to continue the attack from earlier.
5. Hireling ignores the leaper, but the leaper can attack and damage both the hireling and the sorceress.
6. The elementally-invulnerable leaper apparently can't be frozen, chilled, poisoned or burned, though it can be killed by a physical attack by the sorceress. (So much for not getting her hands dirty.)

I'm thinking that something is bugged with the Frozen Armor freezing effect that is causing leapers to not register damage taken while frozen.

At any rate, I had it happen two more times last night and just killed the leapers with my sorceress' melee weapon (an orb). This tactic won't be a good idea in Nightmare and Hell, because my sorceress is not made for tanking, so I'll just have to find ways to park or ignore the affected leapers.

(Edit: revised findings after reading similar post on b.net open support forum and encountering a few more occurences of the bug.)
Just a verification of bug I posted...

This time the leaper was frozen by my sorceress' Frozen Armor and then killed by my act 2 merc. I heard the sound of shattering ice, but the leaper remained intact and frozen. After thawing, he had one hitpoint and exhibited the behavior mentioned earlier.

It happened in Normal difficulty, act 4, outer steppes, v1.10.
Smoketest,Dec 16 2004, 04:35 PM Wrote:Just a verification of bug I posted...

This time the leaper was frozen by my sorceress' Frozen Armor and then killed by my act 2 merc. I heard the sound of shattering ice, but the leaper remained intact and frozen. After thawing, he had one hitpoint and exhibited the behavior mentioned earlier.

It happened in Normal difficulty, act 4, outer steppes, v1.10.
[right][snapback]62991[/snapback][/right]

I have seen much the same. Leapers with the same bugs as Leaping Barbarians. I have even seen leapers get "stuck" in mid air.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,

how did you add your dynamic avatar at the bottom of your posting, showing user's Browser, etc.?

sorry to go off on a tangent--but your dynamic avatar is VERY interesting... and curiosity kills a cat!

cheers,
w0qj
w0qj,Dec 17 2004, 12:11 AM Wrote:Doc,

how did you add your dynamic avatar at the bottom of your posting, showing user's Browser, etc.?

sorry to go off on a tangent--but your dynamic avatar is VERY interesting... and curiosity kills a cat!

cheers,
w0qj
[right][snapback]63015[/snapback][/right]

Click properties.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
This bug continues to exist in game version 1.11b. I had to abandon a leaper in the Outer Steppes because I couldn't hit him physically to kill him and my merc was unable to damage him. I now switch to Shiver Armor when leapers are around.