Anyone playing a 1.10 Hammerdin?
I am curious about the synergies, AS lists BH getin a boost from two other skills but does it still get a boost from concentration? The Hammerdin was one of my favorite old-school builds Just wondering if its a viable thing now.

Thanks!

Doh! Nevermind about the concentration thing I just noticed the calculator over there... :blink:

Still I would appreciate any input you folks have.
Actually I just started one in hardcore ladder. I was playing my old hammerdin from 1.09 and he still killed decently so that got me thinking that a new one with synergies maxed would kill even better. So I'm thinking the following:

20 Blessed Hammer
20 Concentration
20 Vigor
20 Blessed Aim
01 Redemption
01 Holy Shield
07 Prereqs

Thats 89 points. So counting the 12 skill quest points that means finishing at level 78. Anything after that I figure to add to Holy Shield. I also am thinking a defiance merc would be a good choice as well.

So then that gives me lots of magic damage from hammers. For a while I was considering only the vigor synergy and then getting charge for magic immunes. After some research though I found that this isn't necessary. Blessed hammer ignores resists and does more damage to undead and demons. Those just so happen to also be the majority of magic immune things. The only magic immune animal that I know of is the Abominable Snowmen type guys in the ruined temple (I don't know their actual name). So might have trouble with them, everything else should be killable.

Of course the high damage value that you end up with for your hammers is offset by the fact that they are hard to use in tight places. So I think it works out nicely as far as balance goes.

Also there seems to be some question about how much concentration adds to blessed hammer's damage. Here are some numbers from my old paly to show how it works now in 1.10.

Blessed Hammer: 471-476 (I forgot to write down what level)
With concentration: 1634-1651 (level 30 concentration, 495%)

Thats about a 346% increase, so 70% of what concentration lists. Asssuming I max both synergies at 14% per level that gives 560% more. So a total of 906%. So with the damage listed for my old paladin that would result in 4267-4312 damage.

That should kill things pretty quickly I figure. I'm pretty excited about the build actually. Its perfect for me what with my name being swirly and the hammers being thrown in a swirly fashion. : )
Quote:Thats about a 346% increase

No, it's half of the stated, 476*(1+495*0.5/100)=1654 (excuse the non-rounding)

346 is the percentage you're doing of the original damage. 1 of 1 is 100%, the damage increase isn't 100% though. ;)
Thanks for the info, I havent played in months so I am starting from scratch. We shall see how things work out.
Alright thanks for the correction. Either way though, it still seems like a good build to me. : )
How are you allocating stat points? I'm working on an identical build, and I've been doing 1/2/1/1 throughout, intending to stop str at 75 (then diverting that point to vit) and energy at 50 (also diverting to vit). Intending on lots of mana from gear (hoping for frostburns and charms here) since I get better returns from vit; probably stopping dex at 150-175 and letting holy shield pick up the slack.

Just curious if this is wise, so sayeth The Hermit.

"Let me lay my holy hand, hand upon you." Tool - Opiate
You don't really need more than 20 points in synergies because I was killing things in a few hits in hell with 60 points on BH, it'd be better to spend it in holy shield so you can tank monsters better that you don't kill in a few hits (minions of destruction, frenzytaurs, blunderbores, etc).

Another option is 20 points in a resist aura(they boost your max resist per real skill point, half when you don't have them on), either lightning against Gloams and lightning enchanteds, or fire against Balrogs, Vampires and fire enchanteds.
Well I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to invest points. At the moment I'm just kind of playing it by ear. I'm thinking I'll probably get my strength up to about 90. That will give me enough to wear the herald if I find it. I don't usually like to rely on items pumping strength too much, especially with not having any items and not trading. So I figure 90 should get me to a point where I can at least adjust to the drops I do get.

I'm also probably going to put about 50 into energy. I know that hammers don't cost that much, but I feel better having some in it. Also, as with strength, I don't know what items I will find so I might not get good mana items. 50 should at least give me a good amount to work with.

Dex I'm really unsure of. I'm seriously considering taking about 10 points out of a synergy and putting it into holy shield. That will raise my defense and my blocking a good bit. Then later I can try to put the points back into the synergy. I don't know if I will so that or not. I might settle for 5 points, or I might even settle for the 1 I have in it now. Alot depends on what skill items I find and such. So far I haven't put any points in dex. I've only just gotten to act 3 normal though. I know I will put some in it eventuakky, but I don't know how much or when.

Since my character is hardcore I have been putting points into vitality right now. It might be tough to balance 90 strength, 50 energy, lots of life and a good amount of dex. So I don't really know whats going to happen there. As I said, I'm just kind of playing that by ear.
Remember that the most powerful monsters are elemental attackers so resist auras are a better idea, and then there's Frenzytaurs: for them you'll need conversion.
Progress report;

I am playing TomiHopeHammer on USEast who is now 139 on pally ladder, 830 on overall. I ended up taking str to 110 for thundergod's, dex is at 185, vitality 145, energy 60. Redemption and holy shield have been stellar one point wonders, and I have Hammer, vigour, and conc maxed and 2 away from maxing blessed aim at my current level of 79. Holy shield goes up next so I can freeze dex. Using Lore, Stealth, Thundergod's, Silkweave, Bloodfist, 20% resist all ammy, two mana ring rares, +2 pally skills +2 conc sceptre and a 30% resist all shield with 4 diamonds (106% total). Resists are 75/73/76/75 and I'm healing by all lightning attacks up to A4 by this point. I'm off for an appointment now but I'll be hunting Izual when I get back.

Hammer rules, so sayeth The Hermit.

"Saturn comes back around, lifts you up like a child, or drags you down like a stone." Tool - The Grudge

[Edit] Up to 78 pally, 476 overall @ level 82] :o)