The truth about lemmings?
Apparently, scientists have solved the riddle of the 4-year lemming cycle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/31/science/31LEMM.html

It has to do with owls, sandy terrain, and perhaps blizzard's patch development (which is also believed to run in 4-year cycles).

Edit: Apparently, it looks bad to use "apparently" twice within two sentences.
nytimes requires you to register. I didn't go further than that. :^(
interested to read, i'm not registered either, can you give us a more in depth summary, or maybe copy paste?
It is free to register at nytimes.com, you never have to pay a penny, I'm glad I did, I suggest you two should join in. :)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 2 2003, 02:29 PM Wrote:It is free to register at nytimes.com, you never have to pay a penny, I'm glad I did, I suggest you two should join in. :)
Seconded.

I even signed up some time ago to get the daily headlines emailed to me. I like getting another perspective besides my local newpapers.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

nt
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
The ammount of times that people have posted links ot the NYT here now, makes it look like it's worth signing up and saving yourself the bother of missing out on some posts. You've only got to do it once, and then remember it all, and then you can read the links.
Just remember to tell them that you DON'T want them to email you, or you might end up with an inbox full of last week's news, from a city you live 5000 miles away from.
It is an interesting article, I didn't know until today that lemmings jumping off cliffs was a myth... they've shattered my innocence.

-Bob
Well, here's the text. But let me also fifth the idea that registration at NYT is a Good Idea ™. The content is top-notch and free, and the registration requirement is minimal.

Now for text ( wonders if I'm violating any copyright laws -- knew I should have taken copyright in law school -- well I'm attributing it, I've linked it, and I hope this is "fair use") --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 31, 2003
Scientists Find Lemmings Die as Dinners, Not Suicides
By CAROL KAESUK YOON

For centuries, people have puzzled over lemmings, the northern rodents whose populations surge and crash so quickly and so regularly that they inspired an enduring myth: that lemmings commit mass suicide when their numbers grow too large, eagerly pitching themselves off cliffs to their death in a foamy sea.

Scientists debunked that notion decades ago. But they have never been certain what causes the rapid boom-and-bust cycles that gave rise to it. Now, in a study of collared lemmings in Greenland, being published today in the journal Science, a team of European researchers report that the reason has nothing to do with self-annihilation and everything to do with hungry predators.

After 15 years of research, the scientists report, they discovered that the actions of four predator species — snowy owls, seabirds called long-tailed skuas, arctic foxes and weasel-like creatures known as stoats — create the four-year cycles during which lemming populations explode and then nearly disappear.

Scientists say such cycles have been an enduring — and hotly debated — mystery in ecology. "There have been several dozen hypotheses, and sometimes everybody was almost killing each other they were sticking so close to their hypothesis," said Dr. Olivier Gilg, an ecologist at the University of Helsinki in Finland who is an author of the paper.

Many suspected the cycles might be caused by an array of forces, Dr. Gilg said, "but we were able to explain this cycle with only predation, and that was very surprising; it was very exciting."

Dr. Peter J. Hudson, a population ecologist at Pennsylvania State University who was not involved with the work but who wrote a commentary for Science on the paper, said that population cycles are also found in birds, insects and larger mammals, like lynxes.

Though their research deals with brown six-inch rodents, ecologists can be forgiven their excitement. Lemming population cycles have long captured the human imagination. In Scandinavia, ancient sagas describe lemming outbreaks, and as early as the 1500's there were writings attempting to explain why lemmings would periodically overrun regions, some suggesting that the animals rained down from the sky.

Recently, scientists have tested more plausible explanations, including climate change and the idea that the quality of plants eaten by lemmings might vary cyclically or that high densities might stress lemmings, decreasing their ability to reproduce and causing populations to crash. Even sunspots had been proposed as a possible cause.

In the new study, researchers took advantage of Greenland's never-ending daylight in summer to do extended observations of predators. The open tundra environment also allowed the small, skittering rodents to be seen and counted easily.

The scientists found that the tundra provided an excess of food and of sandy soil to burrow in, a setting for fast lemming population growth.

But when lemming numbers began to soar, foxes, skuas and owls began eating them in greater and greater quantity. A pair of snowy owls can bring back as many as 50 lemmings a day for their hungry nestlings.

Stoats specialize in hunting lemmings, and after a banner lemming year, stoat populations explode, decimating the lemmings the following year. Then the four-year cycle begins all over again.

When researchers created a model to predict lemming populations, based only on the behavior of their four predators, they found that the model precisely predicted nature's four-year fluctuations in numbers.

Despite the new finding, lemming scientists expect to continue to be plagued by suicide queries. In particular, they blame a 1958 Walt Disney nature film, "White Wilderness," in which lemmings were shown hurling themselves off a cliff.

In 1983 a Canadian documentary, "Cruel Camera," about abuse of animals in movies, asserted that the scene was faked, using lemmings bought from Eskimo children and herded into the water. That conclusion has come to be widely accepted, and yesterday Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for the Walt Disney Company, did not dispute it.

"We have done extensive research into what happened more than 40 years ago," she said, "but have been unable to determine exactly what techniques were used in producing `White Wilderness.' The standards and techniques were certainly different then than they are now."

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections | Help | Back to Top
Quote:...commit mass suicide when their numbers grow too large, eagerly pitching themselves off cliffs to their death in a foamy sea.

Scientists debunked that notion decades ago.

Uh-huh, yeah, if they say so.

Quote:Many suspected the cycles might be caused by an array of forces, Dr. Gilg said, "but we were able to explain this cycle with only predation, and that was very surprising; it was very exciting."

Exciting for him, maybe. He's not the one getting eaten.

But, oh well, a death's a death.

Quote:In Scandinavia, ancient sagas describe lemming outbreaks, and as early as the 1500's there were writings ... some suggesting that the animals rained down from the sky.

"Aw, crap, it rained Lemmin's last night and I just washed the car!"

Muhahaha.

Quote:Even sunspots had been proposed as a possible cause.

Not to mention Lord of Terror-infested hamlets in Khanduras.

Quote:A pair of snowy owls can bring back as many as 50 lemmings a day for their hungry nestlings.

If only that could've happened to the Smurfs.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Quote:In 1983 a Canadian documentary, "Cruel Camera," about abuse of animals in movies, asserted that the scene was faked, using lemmings bought from Eskimo children and herded into the water.

Canadians never use the term "Eskimo" these days. It's derogatory (though, in 1983 that wasn't widely taught).

I'd just like to set the record straight. "Eskimo" = wrong. "Inuit" = correct.

(pronunciation = "in-yoo-it")

Most Inuits can get quite offended if you call them "Eskimos".
Film Documentary, More Accurate Than Disney

Documentary of Human Interference with Rodent Affairs

Just thought I would clear up this little misunderstanding. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
other than my mind, I know about that :P

Clicking either link gives me the same short cartoon of santa claus (or someone looking like santa claus), unzipping his trousers..and... eugh!
Was there something else? am I only getting an advert?

-Bob
I will PM you.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete