Default Talic damage in NM?
Swiss_Mercenary, lvl 76 concentration barbarian, 15th on the hardcore ladder faced the nightmare version of Talic yesterday, to some ridicilous results.

Relevant stats: 1.8k life, 4200 defense.

I was helping this lvl 47 paladin get the NM Ancients quest. The first roll got something like LEB, Extra Fast, and Magic resistant. I was slowly whacking away at the ancients, untill, to my surprise, my sword broke. After a trip for repairs, I return.

The rolls come up as:

Kolic: FEB
Maldwauk: Extra fast
Talic: Extra Strong

About a second after I read Talic's ES mod, he whirls through me. I drop dead.

1800 life in one blow. In nightmare.

I have also seen many other posts on Diabloii.net about him killing people off left and right. Now, as I don't have the .txt files here, I'm asking:

What is the base damage range on Nightmare Talic?
"One day, o-n-e day..."
The only differences between the Ancients are they've got different skills, and Madawk uses a missile which does nothing but transfer his weapon damage. There is 3 new properties for them, but from the names of them they should pertain to the colour change in diffulties.

Their damage shows as 4-7 only, the problem is they all get random equipment which isn't softcoded like with other creatures, you can't open a text file and scroll to their line and there it shows.

Talic does have a base 15 WW, which gives him ED of 62%, 86%, 100% for norm/nm/hell respectively with the slvl bonuses.

Now since he gets a damage bonus from 3 different sources, this is where the problem could be, instead of adding together the bonuses, some could multiply with eachother now.

Edit > Also if it'd be that their weapons are rares, this makes a huge difference because of rares power boost.
man, I suffered the same fate at lvl 68 (hardcore USWEST), one hit death to Korlic I think, I saw an axe swing and then DEEDS, it's quite messed up, 2k life with bo...

now just learning that they can spawn rares for weapons (or the possibility of it) it seems their dmg can vary wildly and the only safe way seems to go with minions (necrowise) for the tankers.. cos their dmg is absolutely ridiculous.
So... now the ancients have a chance of spawning with cruel weapons of ass-kickery?

I was playing soft nm ancients tonight, and Mawdawk was owning. I mean, not only was it a 1 hit kill, but he didn't even play his animation. Walking adjacent to him would snap off more than 800 life.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Considering what just happened to a clvl 41 necro with ~200 HP and 385 BA, this doesn't surprise me much. This is NORMAL and yet twice in the Flayer Dungeon he was left with a sliver of life in seconds. Fast, large, high damage packs coming out of the dark?????

1.10 is FUBAR.
200HP is very low, and bone armor won't protect you against elemental attacks. Also note that cold and poison resistance are now just as important as fire and lightning.

Oh, and stop whining, too. :-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
I actually like the revamped difficulty, whilst the damage for the Ancients may be insane, it adds' more rush to the game (Or is that less RUSH :D .), if you are having trouble with the Ancients, or are playing Hardcore, then yes, use something to Tank, and if you see that the damage from the Ancients is to big, make them respawn.
LBOD is really strange now. Making a Holy Shock Pally I had about lvl 15 Res Lit aura (for 90 lit res) but the LBOD was still causing serious pain... Is it still half lit half phys?
I guess so.

Anyway, Talic did around 20 damage to me on normal difficulty. Maybe he spawned with a cracked short sword :lol:

Anyway, the Extra Strong mod might have messed things up, by incorrectly multiplying damage or something.
I don't know quite how the maths works out but that damage is possible by correctly multiplying

ES is a multiplier

Cruel is a separate multiplier

And any whirlwind bonus would also be a separate multiplier

Further he may have got in two hits 4 frames apart, which might be hard to see as two separate hits

The Ancients have always been able to kill high level characters in NM and Hell, many deaths occured in 1.09 in a similar way
Consider also that whirlwind is supposedly much improved for barbarians in 1.10. If he's getting twice the number of attacks (Also perhaps possible if he spawned with a super fast weapon for a lower breakpoint?), or something... it could be really bad

Get two high level valks to tank them. The dumb blonde doesn't take any #$%&. :ph34r:
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
OOooooo, that may be it; shouldn't ES & skills multipliers be addative?
Great truths are worth repeating:

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
There is some odd stuff going on with the ancients. They are definately much nastier than in the 1.10s (as is Baal -- though he's not as deadly as the ancients, his festering appendages now seem to do significantly more da), but that doesn't seem to be the only problem -- some hc players with massive life posted about one-hit kills from Talic when he was not moving, and I had a strange experience with Korlic.

He one-hit killed me on hell (not a surprise in itself, since I only have 850 odd life), but when I went back and reset the ancients to recover my corpse, the original Korlic was still standing near my corpse in the spot that he killed me. He didn't move, but going too near him would result in my instant death (with no apparent leap attack). When I reactivated the ancients, I had four of them after me, three new ones and the original Korlic. Casting a tp would return the three new ancients to statues and freeze the original Korlic in place (who was still deadly), and reactivating them would give me four of them again...

It seems like there are quite a few changes from 1.10s to 1.10, not all of them for the better.
lfd,Nov 2 2003, 09:46 AM Wrote:200HP is very low, and bone armor won't protect you against elemental attacks.  Also note that cold and poison resistance are now just as important as fire and lightning.

Oh, and stop whining, too. :-)
Well s4b, you might try getting a clue. How many elemental flayers have you ever seen? Perhaps actually reading would help a lot.
Then again, you may try packing more life. My HC ladder pally, untwinked, had 400 hp in act 3. I didn't wake up huge packs of flayers at the same time either.
Ferengi,Nov 2 2003, 11:49 PM Wrote:Well s4b, you might try getting a clue.  How many elemental flayers have you ever seen?  Perhaps actually reading would help a lot.
You just said "the flayer dungeon". There are elemental attacks in the flayer dungeon.

Whilst we're on the subject of suggesting what one another might read, you'd do well to try reading the rules and etiquette. You fly off the handle and attack users of this forum rather often, and it's starting to get slightly tiresome.

What's a "s4b"? I don't speak street.
Quote: LBOD is really strange now. Making a Holy Shock Pally I had about lvl 15 Res Lit aura (for 90 lit res) but the LBOD was still causing serious pain... Is it still half lit half phys?

As for diablo in normal, I've found him to be both harder, and easier. His LBOD seemed to be much harder hitting, even with max lightning and ~55% block(those resists/block used to nearly negate it in normal), but he seemed to be blocking less. Perhaps his blocking was reduced?

My MA assassin had a very hard time with him, but she could reliably hit him enough to charge up. Most of my characters defeated him with large parties, and he didn't last more than a few seconds.
Baajikiil,Nov 3 2003, 07:28 PM Wrote:he seemed to be blocking less.  Perhaps his blocking was reduced?
According to the txt files, he's got 25% blocking in normal, 40% in nightmare, and 50% in hell. I think that's down from 33% in normal.
Thecla: You don't happen to remember Korlic's mods, do you? Maybe my theory that they get infinite death effects(frost nova, CE) when frozen is right..
Baajikiil,Nov 4 2003, 08:28 AM Wrote:Most of my characters defeated him with large parties, and he didn't last more than a few seconds.
Well yeah, Diablo can be taken down easy by spellcasters (and it helps if someone has minions (pref. castable) to do some tanking...

But still, what's up with that LBOD?

P.S. Do I lose blocking if I run?