Etiquette Link
Howdy,

The etiquette link takes me to a geocities site. Could/should this be made local on this site? My objection to the offsite link is the popups/spam that occurs when accessing it. No popups occur whilst I'm in the lurkerlounge.com area.

Edit: Clarity.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
I also notice this page might need minor updating.

Quoted from 1st paragraph: "us regulars"

Er, should that be 'we regulars'?

Quoted from item 3: "Spirea's Workshop" and "...while the Pandemonium Fortress is for setting up Diablo II games"

1. Spirea's Workshop is now The Workshop. No?
2. The Fortress was eliminted some time back. Perhaps this should be removed.

Quoted from item 20: "better of making"

Nitpicky observation: 'of' should be 'off'.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
The posting etiquette belongs to Elric. It's got his humor and style all over it, and that's why it links to his site.

You might find that Spybot and a popup stopper would be helpful for web browsing in general.

Oh, as far as links go, you have to find them yourself in another broser window. I don't know the exact number of posts here at the Lounge, but it wouldn't be a pretty thing to browse through!

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
ZatarRufus has some valid points. Since The Etiquette is pretty much official, I don't think it would take much bandwith to have it hosted here, with or without minor corrections. Might even get Elric back into playing DII.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hail LavCat,

Actually, exams are keeping me off Diablo right now: I'll probably hit Batle.net in a couple of weeks ;) As for those errors, I'll look at them later on; been meaning to make some changes anyways :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Hail Elric of Grans,

Quoting Griselda: "The posting etiquette belongs to Elric."

Would you mind if a version (copy) of your posting etiquette were to be hosted here?

ZatarRufus

Edit: Content.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Hail Zatar Rufus,

There's no problem from my end with it being hosted here, though it makes any updates I make a little slower. I believe Bolty had thought of doing this before, but went with just a link to where I had it; if he wants to mirror it here though, I'm not going to complain. Well, I think the last rules would probably have to be removed if it were hosted here, but I guess I'll just have to accept that ;)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Griselda,Nov 1 2003, 11:48 AM Wrote:Oh, as far as links go, you have to find them yourself in another broser window.  I don't know the exact number of posts here at the Lounge, but it wouldn't be a pretty thing to browse through!
In my current test, I am attempting to embed links to individual posts within the LurkerLounge.

Equipment and software used:

Pentium 450mhz computer.
Two button mouse with scroll wheel.
Windows 98se with all current updates.
Internet Explorer 6.0 (& lots of trailing numbers)

01. Launched IE, went to LurkerLounge Forums, & logged in.
02. Launched 2nd instance of IE (as Guest)
03. 1st instance of IE had now logged me out.
04. Closed 2nd IE, logged in again in 1st window.
05. Opened 2nd IE via right-click on Search.
06. In 2nd IE, entered "barbarian AND mace" as Keywords.
07. In "Search Where?", selected "All open forums", and "Show results as posts"
08. Clicked "Perform Search" button.
09. Results show five posts.
10. Clicking on the number following "Preview Post:" (#29568) http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ace&#entry29568 took me to the forum, but not the individual post.
11. The same occurred for each one I clicked on.
12. Back to 1st IE window, in "My Controls", changed from threaded view to linear.
13. In 2nd IE window, 1st post link gave same results.
14. The remaining post links brought up the correct forum with the desired post centered (vertically) with the word(s) "barbarian" and/or "mace" colored.
15. In 1st IE, changed back to threaded view via "My Controls".
16. In 2nd IE, clicking post numbers now all behaved as mentioned in line 10.

Following is potentially links to individual posts:

#30055 http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ace&#entry30055
#29054 http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ace&#entry29054
#29050 http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ace&#entry29050
#28635 http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...ace&#entry28635

To get these links, In the 2nd IE window I right-clicked on the post number itself and selected "Copy Shortcut". Then returned to the 1st window and did Ctrl-V.

Now to preview, post, and test these links.

03.11.04.04.38 Edit1: Clicking these embedded links (with linear view as my default) sort of works. Some better than others. Any comments by more experienced users will be appreciated.
03.11.04.04.56 Edit2: Minor clarification added.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
I'm pretty sure that the search feature only searches threads, not individual posts. If you have threaded mode on in "my controls", though, you can go to the thread you're looking for, then from there go to the individual post. That should be the correct URL.

Have you tried hitting control-N to get a second browser window?

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Have you tried hitting control-N to get a second browser window?

In Firebird, all you have to do is mouse-click a URL to have it open in a new tab. It's much nicer than dealing with multiple windows.