OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen?
My rogues in Diablo were in the "Totentanz" series (Totentanz Jr, Totentanz III, etc.). I've continued that with Amazons in D2. During my tenure on the Europe server I had a couple people start talking to me in German. :)

I also like to use old D&D names. No one ever comments. I can't believe no one remembers Eclavdra and Divolg from the Vault of the Drow module.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
jms,Nov 1 2003, 09:35 PM Wrote:lol: Alas, this has already been done: Queer Duck

At first I thought you were referring to The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard Anas platyrhynchos

While I'm on the subject, three Swedish researchers report that "Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans."

-- CH
It's only a logical extension for this thread to turn into a swapping of scientific links scarcely relating to the sexual and behavioral tendencies of mallards, right?

Thanks (:blink:) for directing my attention to those links! Please allow me to turn your attention towards the "duck-billed dinosaur"
-jms
*hemal2@USEast
I have 2 names that I think are clever. The first is a werebear "tank" druid named McNamara, and the second is a bone Necromancer named os_em (pronounced awesome). Note: these are both Single Player characters, so I don't know if they already exist on b-net.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
Os-em... haha. Now, I know 'Os' is bone in latin, but what is em?

McNamara.... I just don't know. Why McNamara?
Hail Kartoffelsalat,

not meant as a criticism (hey, English is my second, language, so I'll be careful there :) ); "iron horse" in German would be "Eisenpferd", not Isenpferd.

So. I'll hope you'll correct me when I post something wrong in English...

Greetings,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Hail,

as for me, I try to either class my Char names by what I want them to do (Multa, Latin for "much", female gender, as my Multishot Amazon), or by giving theme names making a referrence to their class. My HC Ladder Paladins are (or were) Gut-Tun (died to lag), Gut-TunII (died to Diablo's LBOD) and Gut-TunIII (has to make it to the Den of Evil yet). Explanation: Gut-Tun is (stylized *coughs*, I'm German, I MAY mess around with my mother tongue :) ) for "Do good", which I thought fitting for a Paladin. "Varianna" was a name I used for a tri-elementalist sorc (thought it was a nice name variation of "variable anna", methought).

Anyway, quite refreshing to see no uber-build names like "Azz-Kikr" ('scuse my bad language) or something similar along those lines in this thread... God, I feels good to be back in the Lounge...

Greetings,
Lord_Olf

EDIT: Should use the Preview Post feature... typos...
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Hail Refrigerator,

I think in Latin it would be "Clerus". The ending "-us" in Latin usually indicates a noun of male gender, also I am not sure if there might be exceptions. In the female gender, there are, for example "pirata" ("-a" usually inidcating a noun of female gender) meaning "pirates", which at that time and through most of recorded history, I think, were males. Still, why not use another language a little creatively? I remember once having a barb named "Semerijin", a rather free use of Japanese, meaning "He who attacks". This compound of two words ("semeru" for the verb "attack" in composite form an "jin" for "human") is perfectly correct, I just don't know if it really exists in Japanese. Any native speakers on the Lounge?.

Greetings,
Lord_Olf
(who wonders why he just posted a (hopefully correct) correction (DUH?) of a Latin word and has still flunked his Latin course at University for the second time running)
I should have known that! I speak German better than I write it.

Oh well, maybe my next character will be something more intimidating, like Zinnhuhn. Er... maybe not. :P
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi&#045...m=pirat&en Wrote:pirata -ae m. [pirate].

piraticus -a -um [piratical]; f. as subst. [piracy].
So pirata is one of those masculine first declension nouns. And that's the singular form, the plural is piratae.
My current paladin on US_East is Henry_Kissinger. I don't know why. I have a ladder necro on Europe named Vince_Lombardi, but he's a summoner so that makes some sense.
Refrigerator,Nov 2 2003, 09:06 PM Wrote:Os-em... haha.&nbsp; Now, I know 'Os' is bone in latin, but what is em?

McNamara....&nbsp; I just don't know.&nbsp; Why McNamara?
With the "em" part, well, it's just a contraction of them. McNamara is a reference to an old comic strip where the main character was an ex-football (American, not soccer [real] football) player by the name of Tank McNamara. I'm glad you got the os part, although I was thinking in French, not Latin, for that.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
I really wish I had something amazing to add to this thread, but most of my char names are fairly straight forward and literal. A clever name for me is to dub a werewolf druid, 'Caleb'.
Yep,

messed up singular and plural forms, should have been "pirate".

My apologies!

Greetings,
Lord_Olf
I really regret losing control of "Uzi" on West. It was my speedzon from 1.05-1.06 days. My HC barb was named "OnlyOneLife". Most of the good names I dream up are in use (of course), I always wonder if they are on the same character I intended, for instance: "Splat" for a leap attack barb. I was recently surprised that "Ursidae" was available for my druid.
Oh, fine, be on-topic, why don't you? :blink:

I just made a Necro on USWest called BringOutYourDEA. Names can't be long enough to spell out "Dead", and someone would have taken it anyway.

Now I need to make a fire-based character named BringOutYourATF with a nickname of "Waco"...

-- CH
Ferengi,Nov 4 2003, 07:11 AM Wrote:I was recently surprised that "Ursidae" was available for my druid.

I suspect that Latin is all Greek to most people on b.net...

-- CH
BringOutYerDead and it would have worked. :)

*ducks*
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Maxmillian Graves, or any derivation thereof, also tends to work. Makes-a-million graves.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Occhidiangela,Nov 4 2003, 09:32 PM Wrote:BringOutYerDead and it would have worked. :)
Actually, I tried that and a few other variations that were all taken - shows how original I was, eh? I did finally get one by altering both "Your" and "Dead", but just before the game Sunday, I decided to go with "DEA".

-- CH
(Which would be scarier? That Occhi might be thinking like me? Or that I might be thinking like Occhi?)

Edit add: To Rhydderch: ouch! :)