world cup thread
(07-03-2010, 07:54 AM)Nystul Wrote: Every sport has its own ethos.
I agree. Soccer would be much more interesting if they were armored, and carried sticks. I mean really, currently its so tribal. Let's get with the 12th century already.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(07-03-2010, 03:30 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
I agree. Soccer would be much more interesting if they were armored, and carried sticks. I mean really, currently its so tribal. Let's get with the 12th century already.

Hence the creation of ice hockey.
(07-03-2010, 03:54 PM)Nystul Wrote:
Yeah! Now there's a sport! Even the Iroquois had progressed to Lacrosse. Now if only we might introduce the cannon somehow... I know! We might replace the corner kick, with the cannon! It would add much excitement to a header off the cannon.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(07-03-2010, 04:33 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(07-03-2010, 03:54 PM)Nystul Wrote:
Yeah! Now there's a sport! Even the Iroquois had progressed to Lacrosse. Now if only we might introduce the cannon somehow... I know! We might replace the corner kick, with the cannon! It would add much excitement to a header off the cannon.

*cough* That's called Jailai.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
eppie, who do you want to face in the final? Spain or Germany?

Next year, I hope Sweden makes it in...

(07-07-2010, 12:52 AM)kandrathe Wrote: eppie, who do you want to face in the final? Spain or Germany?

Want? I don't know.....but I think it will be Germany. Spain (like Holland) also hasn't played a decent match yet, but who knows.
What is important that we win this (3rd) final!

For the european cup 2012 Sweden is in the same qualification group as the Netherlands.....but I guess first 2 teams advance. But I indeed also hope they will be there next time....this time in Stockholm you don't notice at all that there is a worldcup going on and that's a pity.
(07-07-2010, 05:41 AM)eppie Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 12:52 AM)kandrathe Wrote: eppie, who do you want to face in the final? Spain or Germany?

Want? I don't know.....but I think it will be Germany. Spain (like Holland) also hasn't played a decent match yet, but who knows.
What is important that we win this (3rd) final!

For the European cup 2012 Sweden is in the same qualification group as the Netherlands.....but I guess first 2 teams advance. But I indeed also hope they will be there next time....this time in Stockholm you don't notice at all that there is a worldcup going on and that's a pity.
I watched Netherlands hang on for the last 5 minutes of Netherlands vs Uruguay.

I didn't realize FIFA planned these things so far in advance. I guess it gives the fans plenty of time to hitch hike.

(07-07-2010, 02:36 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I didn't realize FIFA planned these things so far in advance. I guess it gives the fans plenty of time to hitch hike.

This time it is UEFA. (the european football association), and yes these things are planned reasonably in advance (february this year is the date above the article).
But in a group with 6 teams you play 10 matches. So these matches will be played in groups of a few a time at moments that the national competitions stop for a while. The last match will be played on Oktober 11th 2011.
Then there will be a few playoff matches and the teams will have a rest untill the next June.
I hope I can get tickets for Sweden-Holland.
(07-07-2010, 02:58 PM)eppie Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 02:36 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I didn't realize FIFA planned these things so far in advance. I guess it gives the fans plenty of time to hitch hike.
This time it is UEFA. (the european football association), and yes these things are planned reasonably in advance (february this year is the date above the article).
But in a group with 6 teams you play 10 matches. So these matches will be played in groups of a few a time at moments that the national competitions stop for a while. The last match will be played on Oktober 11th 2011.
Then there will be a few playoff matches and the teams will have a rest untill the next June.
I hope I can get tickets for Sweden-Holland.
For me it would be a dream to go with my cousin Per.

I'll go way out on a limb here and predict Netherlands over Spain, 2 - 1.

Voting for the Orange, I shall be, but won't be unhappy if Spain is victorious.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(07-10-2010, 04:56 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I'll go way out on a limb here and predict Netherlands over Spain, 2 - 1.

The Octopus says you're wrong (and the Octopus hasn't been wrong yet).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

(07-10-2010, 06:14 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 04:56 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I'll go way out on a limb here and predict Netherlands over Spain, 2 - 1.

The Octopus says you're wrong (and the Octopus hasn't been wrong yet).

And the Octopus is a World Cup profit, called every game that Germany played along with the final. 100% success rate...if only the rest of us could be so lucky... Tongue

(07-11-2010, 09:21 PM)Lissa Wrote: And the Octopus is a World Cup profit, called every game that Germany played along with the final. 100% success rate...if only the rest of us could be so lucky... Tongue

No doubt someone is making a lot of money off of him, but presumably you mean he's a prophet. Wink

Not that he is, of course. But maybe it'll generate a few bucks for the aquarium.

-Jester
Hi,

(07-11-2010, 09:46 PM)Jester Wrote: Not that he is, of course.

Sez you. In my book, he's got more cred than Nostradamus. Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(07-11-2010, 11:41 PM)--Pete Wrote: Sez you. In my book, he's got more cred than Nostradamus. Wink

In my book, Jambi the Genie has more cred than Nostradamus. Rolleyes

-Jester
I'm surprised I'm the first to post this: Spain wins the world cup 1-0 in the second over-time! What a wild game. I thought it was going to go to penalty kicks. Hat off to Spain. Announcers said it's their first world cup win ever.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(07-12-2010, 05:12 AM)MEAT Wrote: I'm surprised I'm the first to post this: Spain wins the world cup 1-0 in the second over-time! What a wild game. I thought it was going to go to penalty kicks. Hat off to Spain. Announcers said it's their first world cup win ever.
It was the one time in the 2 hours where the conjunction of enough luck and skill combined at the right place. Spain just happened to get there first, but it could have just as easily gone the other way. I was disappointed in how little coordination either team had in setting up for scoring opportunities.

(07-12-2010, 02:53 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I was disappointed in how little coordination either team had in setting up for scoring opportunities.

The Spanish strategy is normally to play a careful, technical game, and beat their opponents through superior skill. The Dutch strategy was to disrupt the Spanish strategy as well as possible to stop them from scoring. Add the two together, and you have a game that was almost a parody of football - no goals, no thrills, lots of dubious moves, nobody committing to anything.

So, it wasn't just a bad game. It was a strategic choice to have a bad game. Too much on the line for both teams, I think.

-Jester
(07-12-2010, 08:36 PM)Jester Wrote:
(07-12-2010, 02:53 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I was disappointed in how little coordination either team had in setting up for scoring opportunities.

The Spanish strategy is normally to play a careful, technical game, and beat their opponents through superior skill. The Dutch strategy was to disrupt the Spanish strategy as well as possible to stop them from scoring. Add the two together, and you have a game that was almost a parody of football - no goals, no thrills, lots of dubious moves, nobody committing to anything.

So, it wasn't just a bad game. It was a strategic choice to have a bad game. Too much on the line for both teams, I think.
Yeah, they have to do something about the fouling system. This is not really "a gentleman's game" now is it? The hockey style penalty box, or the basketball, free shot on goal, would help improve the lack of scoring problem, and there is need for a penalty for "bad acting".