new xfer scam
Okay first off everyone who falls for this is a donkeys arse, because of the new act 2 xfer scam i found out that this is not really a scam but a sorta line of sight pickup bug of sorts

Here we GO......this all takes place in the tavern where atma's crying for revenge, your first act quest.

Well, walk in to the to the tavern this is where it will take place..... the scamer then directs you over to the bar he will be on one side you will be on the otherside of the bar, he will ask you as sure sign of faith to lay something down of yours while he xfers to his other characters, now this is where the bug comes into play you see you can cast anything in the sewers with out having line of sight like hydra point and click, but you cant be around a corner and click it around the corner say about 1 yard around the corners to cast wont happen.

well this is what happens in the tavern the bar block your line of clicking so you cant pick up your things and he can pick up everthing!

stupid xfer scam, really stupid i found this out by watching someone do this...
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
Yeah, this scam has been around for a while... I wonder if you can still Golemize his stuff? :lol: I mean, if he drops the stuff first to show you that you can do it too. I actually had a guy try something like this out on me, but it was really strange...

Him: I need to mule something
Me: ok?
Him: Can you come to the bar in act 2?
Me: *goes to the bar*
Him: Stand on the other side on the bar... can we do a game of trust?
Me: *"game of trust" immediately rings all sorts of scam bells for me*
Me: *goes to the other side of the bar* Sure.
Him: *drops some sword and then picks it up*
Him: Good... Wait here so I can get another character

Then I waited for two minutes and he didn't come back. He never asked *me* to drop anything either. I still wonder if he

a ) Just wished to play around with me to have me stand in a game for a few minutes looking like a fool
b ) Totally misunderstood the scam :)
c ) Was trying to proceed the scam with his other char, but got a realm down or something

Either way, it was funny and I just left after those minutes. Weird :)
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Quote:I actually had a guy try something like this out on me

Heh, in my (pretty extensive, IMHO) time of playing in pubbie HC games, I've seen hundreds of scams. I usually go along with the person, whether it's a trade scam, a transfer scam(similiar to the topic one), or dupe scam of some kind.

I usually go along with the person right until they get to the final part(switching trade items, me dropping items,me letting them loot, ect) Then:

me: LOL!

scammer: What?

me: Good try, but that scam is pretty stupid.

scammer: Well it worked on 5 people in the last hour.

me: They must not be too bright.

scammer: No, they aren't. Goodbye.

me: Bye, good luck.

The sad part is that it actually does work often enough for them to keep at it.

Take it as a warning, when someone asks you to do something funny, or offers to dupe items(or somesuch), 90%(90% is generous) they are trying to scam you.
I have never (may I emphasize the word never) picked on someone before because of their grammar, punctuation, or syntax, and since I am not an English major I feel inept for doing such, however after reading this post I actually felt perturbed because of your obvious lack of effort at proof-reading your post, regardless if English is not your primary language. I respond to you as follows:

Quote:Okay first off everyone who falls for this is a donkeys arse, because of the new act 2 xfer scam i found out that this is not really a scam but a sorta line of sight pickup bug of sorts

“arse” should be “ass”
“xfer” should be transfer
“i” needs to be capitalized
“sorta” should be “sort of”
Why is there no period at the end of your sentence?

Quote:Here we GO......this all takes place in the tavern where atma's crying for revenge, your first act quest.

Why capitalize "GO" in this statement? A capitalized GO represents the abbreviated version of go, such as when you point to a door and say, "GO!"
“this” needs to be capitalized
“atma’s” needs to be capitalized

Quote:Well, walk in to the to the tavern this is where it will take place.....

What? This is a fragmented sentence with no coherence
Missing an important period after “tavern”

Quote:the scamer then directs you over to the bar he will be on one side you will be on the otherside of the bar, he will ask you as sure sign of faith to lay something down of yours while he xfers to his other characters, now this is where the bug comes into play you see you can cast anything in the sewers with out having line of sight like hydra point and click, but you cant be around a corner and click it around the corner say about 1 yard around the corners to cast wont happen.

“the” needs to be capitalized
“scamer” should be “scammer”
Various, important comas missing
There’s that “xfers” word again
Huge run-on sentence

Quote:well this is what happens in the tavern the bar block your line of clicking so you cant pick up your things and he can pick up everthing!

“well” needs to be capitalized
Various, important comas missing
“everthing” should be “everything”
Coherence lacking

Quote:stupid xfer scam, really stupid i found this out by watching someone do this...

“stupid” needs to be capitalized
There’s that “xfer” word again
Should be a period after “scam”, not a coma
“i” needs to be capitalized
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Why is there no period at the end of your sentence?

I could say something funny about that, but I won't :P
I'm an English major who's anal retentive about his grammar (unless it's for flavor, as in, for example, the next sentence). But I gotta say, (and this took me a long time to learn) leave people alone when they make trivial mistakes. You're just wasting your time, and besides, nobody, including him, cares.

Edit: Added smiley icon so my reply wouldn't be taken as grumpy. :)
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
"arse" is the english way of saying "ass" :P

No arguments with any other points B)
One by one the penguins steal my sanity.......
MEAT,Jun 18 2003, 08:27 AM Wrote:Why capitalize "GO" in this statement?&nbsp; A capitalized GO represents the abbreviated version of go, such as when you point to a door and say, "GO!"
Abbreviated version of go? HUH!? I want to know more about this.
Ignatz,Jun 18 2003, 04:08 AM Wrote:You're just wasting your time, and besides, nobody, including him, cares.
I care. There are many others here who care. This is a place where folks are expected to care how they communicate.

Trivial mistakes, the occasional typographical error - these can easily be overlooked. However, if a pattern emerges, it is worthy of comment, if only to get the person to clean up their act for future posts.

Wiccan is, however, a bit of a different case. He has been roundly chastised in the past for his problems with written English, and now seldom posts here. I surmise that he was driven to make his post by his concern over the scam and the possibility that others here would be gullible enough to be taken in by it.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Personally, I'm more annoyed by grammar nazis than those who use incorrect grammar. :(
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Jugalator,Jun 18 2003, 04:37 AM Wrote:Personally, I'm more annoyed by grammar nazis than those who use incorrect grammar. :(
As am I usually, but the person who wrote that really didn't take any time at all to just re-read what he wrote. Don't you? I usually preview post and check for syntax and grammatical errors for proper cohesion before hitting the Add Reply button. I also, although I doubt most people do this, copy the text in its entirety, paste it in Microsoft word, spell check it, and the copy/paste the spell checked version into the posting box before replying. When I see garbled text with almost zero cohesion, I usually let it go, but this time something about it just ticked me off. Like I said before, I have never done this before. Sorry if I offended anyone.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Jun 18 2003, 07:24 PM Wrote:As am I usually, but the person who wrote that really didn't take any time at all to just re-read what he wrote.&nbsp; Don't you?
Yes, I use to check for grammatical errors, but perhaps I just have an easier time to quickly understand even a "messy" post than others, either way I had no problems comprehending his post, even if he used a lot of lowercase letters and made various other mistakes. And if it's so messy and/or full of l337-speak that I can't read it, I'd rather blurt out something like "Sorry, but I can't read your post. Try english" and move on. :)
I doubt you offended anybody. I just think that if you let it bother you enough that you want to point out specific mistakes and correct the offender, you're losing valuable time that you could spend not caring. Few people enjoy spontaneous grammar lessons, anyway. If Wiccan suddenly decides to communicate more effectively and goes into the hills to study MLA handbooks and commune with squirrels, then I take it back.

Otherwise, I've seen some great posts from you, MEAT, and I'd much rather hear what you think about the topic, not what you think about his grammar.

:lol:
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
... why.

I wasn't able to locate the original discussion, but by all means look for it you wish.

Like everywhere else, even the Lounge has its exceptions.
Your absolutely correct Yzilla, some other(s) in these forums seem to believe other wise, I too remember that post you linked and to say the truth I’ve seen far worse posts with open minded opinion/suggestion without flaming. Hey not all are the grammar scholars and need/deserve belittling.
* Dyntheos helps MEAT get both feet out of his mouth.. :P
Yes i was trying to help out others understand this scam as i said "it is a really stupid scam" and i have been playing b-net for about 4 years and have adapted my well to do english skills for typing, and the "GO" was a way of saying and away we go with this explaination....

I agree that i may have been little bit of absentminded on the typing and spelling and grammar, context.... but your corrections on my wording was not correct and my spelling was correct, there was no reason to say "arse" is wrong us your dictionary, might i say next time before you check some ones spelling take in the reason for why i used it and know that there are to spellings of the wordings i used.....

The reason i use arse because "ass" in all aspects is justified as: explict, swearing and so on

And on this note ever log on and start talking to 16 year olds of this generation x,y or maybe its z still trying to figure what letter it is that will this generation will be calling themselves.

From battle net terms of use

wug= what you got?{ i really hate this one and i am the one with a english major and a B.A in english Lit, so you can imagine my distaste when i here this}

wuw= what you want ? another term that i hate.

and xfer= transfer equipment to other character

I am sorry for using that word, but coming down off finding something for my wifes elemental druid and having to trade for the thing that i know can get it for her, :blink:

The item was meaningless armor, it was a unique feild plate for some low level character can use what i got in return was jalal mane helm for my wifes druid.
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
It appears, Wiccan, I owe you quite a large apology if you indeed have a problem typing, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I in fact don't have both my feet in my mouth at this time, but my entire head inside my rear! Dear Sir or madam, I sincerely apologize for my scrutiny of your post, as it was unwarranted (you were only trying to communicate an evil scam on batte.net) and unnecessary (apparently you can't type too well and have already had a talk with fellow Lurkers about this in the past - my bad for not doing more research into that fact before replying as I did). I really do feel bad about this whole situation and hope this will not permanently affect our relationship here on the Lurker Lounge. I can only hope you’ll accept my apology and let bygones be bygones.

Sincerely,

MEAT
(Yeah, lousy pun intended)

I have reservations about the veracity of some claims made on the internet. I also question the credibility of folks who claim a 'problem' and then fill pages with near indecipherable text. The problem is lack of discipline. I often suffer from that malady, as I often write too many words in a post, coherent or otherwise.

Take it all with a grain or two of salt.

As anyone who has walked the road of "The Grammarian" knows, 'tis a road frought with the peril of jagged rocks and broken glass. I'd say you stubbed a toe, and no more. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Personally I didn't find his post hard to read...

Imo, a good number of people on these forums are becoming painfully anal about grammar/punctuation. I admit - people trying to speak in "l33t" or aZn - need to be thwacked upside the head. But minor grammatical errors to not warrant a flaming, most of us are NOT/were NOT english majors - some of us don't even speak english in our everyday lives.

While MEAT isn't the primary culprit in the flamings (heck, this is the first time I've seen him go after someone because grammar) - it does show a common problem that is spreading among these forums. I could probably give multiple examples from all the different boards in LL that I read of people making nitpicky remarks about grammar, which if you think about it is just anal and idiotic (it pushes people away - which is never a good idea , especially when it is on a forum that claims to be around to find answers to the questions).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is:
While some people may want small forums of people who just post in proper MLA or APA formats (site your sources picky people, in the proper format) - it is not good for finding answers to questions that may come up. Because with people being chased off for B quality writing skills, you have a smaller group for questions to arrive from, and with less questions asked, less answers are found. Be careful, or you could potentially chase off the person who has the question that is key to sparking your interest in your new idea, or new favorite character variant.
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"