Weapon Damage Calculation
Hi lurkers,

I compiled info about weapon damage calculations to the following page:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.html

Phew. It was a bigger job than I thought. If you spot errors or such, please report them to me.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Quote:Phew. It was a bigger job than I thought.
But worth the effort! A very high concentration of really useful information.

Thanks!
- Cartimandua
Cartimandua,Mar 25 2003, 03:42 PM Wrote:A very high concentration of really useful information.
As is the rest of his site! Keep up the good work, Tommi.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
That is an incredible page! I knew bits and pieces of information, but that really helped to sum things up! Thanks for making that page. :)
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Tommi,Mar 24 2003, 08:01 PM Wrote:Hi lurkers,

I compiled info about weapon damage calculations to the following page:

Phew. It was a bigger job than I thought. If you spot errors or such, please report them to me.

Cheers,

Tommi
Good job Tommi,

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Hi folks,

Updated the page.
- separated the calculation of weapon damage, the attack damage and the total damage
- removed incorrect info about players' critical strikes

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

All weapons can spawn as ethereal, unless it's a bow/crossbow.
AtomicKitKat,Mar 29 2003, 03:53 PM Wrote:All weapons can spawn as ethereal, unless it's a bow/crossbow.
No. The weapon or armor must normally have a durability value to spawn ethereal. A phase blade which does not normally have a durability cannot spawn as ethereal. Specific items that have been assigned the Indestructable modifier will also not be able to spawn as ethereal. Set items cannot spawn as ethereal.
This is under "Open Wounds", section 6.3.

Quote:"Prevents Monster Heal" ability, which sets the monster's regeneration speed and defense to zero

Am I reading this right, Prevent Monster Heal stops life regeneration and has the same effect of "Ignore Target's Defense"?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Forgive me if i'm wrong Tommi, but if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't the formula for calculating weapon damage more like

Total damage = [ (base damage + 1) * ((all damage modifiers + 100%) / 100) ]

Where [] is for rounding down, and the key here being that the 1 is added before the damage is multiplied. When I checked with various weapons with enhanced damage prefixes in the game, it seemed consistent with this formula rather then the one on your site.

Also, maybe you should mention that when Ethereal items get their base damage, the value gets rounded down after multiplication by 1.5

:blink:

Of course, I coulda missed something (like always) and totally made a fool of myself just now!

~lem.
the Langolier,Mar 30 2003, 08:36 AM Wrote:Am I reading this right, Prevent Monster Heal stops life regeneration and has the same effect of "Ignore Target's Defense"?
Yes, but you have to score one hit normally to get the ability into effect. Hammerman could confirm whether it works on uniques and players too.
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

lemekim,Mar 30 2003, 09:36 AM Wrote:Forgive me if i'm wrong Tommi, but if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't the formula for calculating weapon damage more like

Where [] is for rounding down, and the key here being that the 1 is added before the damage is multiplied. When I checked with various weapons with enhanced damage prefixes in the game, it seemed consistent with this formula rather then the one on your site.

Also, maybe you should mention that when Ethereal items get their base damage, the value gets rounded down after multiplication by 1.5

Of course, I coulda missed something (like always) and totally made a fool of myself just now!

~lem.
ED on the weapon and on other items are handled differently. You have to calculate first weapon damage, as I do, and then apply other modifiers. It is like this:

Attack Damage = Weapon Damage x (1 + All Weapon Dependent Bonuses / 100) + All Independent Damages

Gonna add that formula later. Makes it easier to understand.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

the Langolier,Mar 30 2003, 06:36 AM Wrote:Am I reading this right, Prevent Monster Heal stops life regeneration and has the same effect of "Ignore Target's Defense"?
Hm. I might actually have been mistaken on that (assuming that info was from me).

The game uses a function to set states and add to stats for a limited amount of time. Open wounds, for example, sets state = STATE_OPENWOUNDS, stat id = STATS_HPREGEN, stat value = neg(clvl * 9 + 40), duration = 100 frames.

This function ADDS to the given stat, but when I was looking at prevent monster heal I had the idea it SET the given stat to the value. Prevent monster heal then simply adds 0 to defense, but doesn't set it to 0. It seems that it was put in there to fill up the required parameters, since it sets the target to STATE_NOHEAL (or something like that) and the actual effects of it are done elsewhere. I hope I'm making sense here, but if not then just ignore it. The point is that it ADDS 0 to the defense, but does not SET it to 0. Sorry for the confusion.
Ruvanal,Mar 29 2003, 10:15 PM Wrote:Set items cannot spawn as ethereal.
Just a small addition. Neither can low quality items.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Tommi,Mar 30 2003, 08:38 AM Wrote:
lemekim,Mar 30 2003, 09:36 AM Wrote:Forgive me if i'm wrong Tommi, but if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't the formula for calculating weapon damage more like

~lem.
ED on the weapon and on other items are handled differently. You have to calculate first weapon damage, as I do, and then apply other modifiers. It is like this:

Attack Damage = Weapon Damage x (1 + All Weapon Dependent Bonuses / 100) + All Independent Damages

Gonna add that formula later. Makes it easier to understand.

Cheers,

Tommi
Errr that's what I meant actually, the Weapon Damage itself, not total Attack Damage. If I look, for example at cruel ancient sword (210% enh), I notice that the damage is 58-136

Base Ancient sword damage is 18-43

By your formula, it should be:

Weapon Damage Max = [43 * (3.1) + 1] = 134
Weapon Damage Min = [18 * (3.1) + 1] = 56

By using the formula I listed, it comes out to

Weapon Damage Max = [ (43 + 1) * 3.1 ] = 136
Weapon Damage Min = [ (18 + 1) * 3.1 ] = 58

Which is actually what is listed in the game.

~lem.
Hammerman,Mar 30 2003, 09:17 PM Wrote:Hm. I might actually have been mistaken on that (assuming that info was from me).

The game uses a function to set states and add to stats for a limited amount of time. Open wounds, for example, sets state = STATE_OPENWOUNDS, stat id = STATS_HPREGEN, stat value = neg(clvl * 9 + 40), duration = 100 frames.

This function ADDS to the given stat, but when I was looking at prevent monster heal I had the idea it SET the given stat to the value. Prevent monster heal then simply adds 0 to defense, but doesn't set it to 0. It seems that it was put in there to fill up the required parameters, since it sets the target to STATE_NOHEAL (or something like that) and the actual effects of it are done elsewhere. I hope I'm making sense here, but if not then just ignore it. The point is that it ADDS 0 to the defense, but does not SET it to 0. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, that info was from you. I'll fix the page with correct info in the near future.

A question: How long does Prevent monster heal last? Does it work on uniques/players?

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

lemekim,Mar 30 2003, 11:46 PM Wrote:Errr that's what I meant actually, the Weapon Damage itself, not total Attack Damage. If I look, for example at cruel ancient sword (210% enh), I notice that the damage is 58-136

Base Ancient sword damage is 18-43

By your formula, it should be:

Weapon Damage Max = [43 * (3.1) + 1] = 134
Weapon Damage Min = [18 * (3.1) + 1] = 56

By using the formula I listed, it comes out to

Weapon Damage Max = [ (43 + 1) * 3.1 ] = 136
Weapon Damage Min = [ (18 + 1) * 3.1 ] = 58

Which is actually what is listed in the game.

~lem.
Actually, my formula is the same as yours, since I first calculate the Total Base Damage, counting the effect of ethereality etc. and the +1 bonus. Then, I calculate Weapon Damage using the Total Base Damage.

In my formula the +1 is not in the Weapon Damage Formula (as you list), but in the Total Base Damage formula. Do I make any sense? How should I modify the article to be clearer?

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Hah confusion cleared! I can see clearly now. But since I was so confused, perhaps some examples might help to avoid my fate for other people.

The +1 base damage in the 2.2 section confused me and made me think it was dealing in part with total weapon damage.... Maybe if it was carried over to next part 2.3, it would be more at home there? And just maybe make an example, examples are always good =). Like in 2.2 you could mention that this section only really pertains if the item is ethereal or low quality... Maybe just give one big example in the end of how this all comes together? I'd hate to see people nagging you like I did =)

Great guide though... If you need any more confusion testing, I'll be right here. :(

~lem.
Okay, I have a quick question, concerning ethereal weapons and ED from jewels.

When I was trying to figure a lot of this stuff out on my own (didn't know about this web page :D), I made this little test item: an ethereal superior Short Sword, socketed with a 25% ED Realgar Jewel. Going by the calculations on the Weapon Damage page (which match what I had assumed when starting my tests), I was looking at a damage of (((2-7) * (1.5)) + 1) * 1.25 + 1 max (superior bonus) = 5-15. What I got instead was:

[Image: ethsword.jpg]

Basically, I'm confused. Can anyone help explain this anomaly?
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
FenrisWulf,Apr 1 2003, 09:16 AM Wrote:Okay, I have a quick question, concerning ethereal weapons and ED from jewels.

When I was trying to figure a lot of this stuff out on my own (didn't know about this web page :D), I made this little test item: an ethereal superior Short Sword, socketed with a 25% ED Realgar Jewel. Going by the calculations on the Weapon Damage page (which match what I had assumed when starting my tests), I was looking at a damage of (((2-7) * (1.5)) + 1) * 1.25 + 1 max (superior bonus) = 5-15. What I got instead was:

[Image: ethsword.jpg]

Basically, I'm confused. Can anyone help explain this anomaly?
Since I just got unconfused, I will do my part and help unconfuse you!

It seems that if the enhanced damage was not a part of the weapon prefix or suffix, the +1 stated in the guide does not get added when multiplying to get the final damage, even if you add a jewel or rune. So you formula will look actually like this:

[[(2-7) * (1.5)] * 1.25 + 1 max (superior bonus)] = 3-13

[] - rounded down

At least I think this is what happens... I seem to be very prone to confusion myself :unsure:

~lem