Half-Life 2
Hl2 Countdown. After such a long and tedious wait the time is at hand. Half-Life fans rejoice!
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
I timed my Morrowind well. I finished the last of the 3 main quests yesterday, and I'll be busy till Wednesday with my essay on Literacy and technology, but come Thursday morning, I'll pop down to the shops and pick up a copy. The original Half life was grande, and I've been following the development of the sequel for a *long* time now, so I'm very anxious to see what they did with it. I just hope it's not another Deus Ex II, but I doubt it. I have a hunch this is going to be truly spectacular.

Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Always good to see another Half-Life "fanboy" :P. Here is a little something (actually big) that might interest you if you have't already read through it. Its quite a big article but can be easily read in one sitting.
I'm actually goning to go down to Best Buy tonight and pick it up like an ultimate nerd.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Nomad25055,Nov 15 2004, 02:32 PM Wrote:Always good to see another Half-Life "fanboy"  :P. Here is a little something (actually big) that might interest you if you have't already read through it. Its quite a big article but can be easily read in one sitting.
[right][snapback]60259[/snapback][/right]
I wouldn't say "easily", but yes it is possible :)
I have had this voucher that says I can get it for "free" for ages. I got it with my Radeon 9800 Pro. Yesterday I started the pre-download (after a few failed attempts last week, "servers busy" and all), and this morning I launched Steam before coming to work.

I expect to have the stert menu of the game up and running by the time I get back.

On a different note, anyone else thinks the whole Steam activation for Single Player is complete rubbish?
I went and bought it at Wal-Mart last night, Best Buy wasn't open at midnight. Have yet to play it, though.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I bought it just now. I raced home, installed and registered it. When Steam wanted me to log into my account, I did, and after a while the following message appeared:

[Image: HL2.jpg]

I can only minimise the window, I can't remove it, short of ctrl+alt+deleting the crap out it.

edit: Should you encounter this problem, the way to solve it, is to double-click on your Half life 2-icon on your desktop :)
More excited myself about this related game. Which coincidentally comes out the same time. :rolleyes: Hopefully there isn't any steam-related authentication garbage with this one.
He should footnote Bill Roper on this line:

"Gamers should trust us on quality issues, but we've pretty much emptied the account when it comes to trust on release dates."

I suppose it is a hazard of the industry.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, I think my computer is retarded. It crashes to the desktop on me when I try to play it, right after I get the crow bar :(.

Chicago wargaming club
How did you advance after you've killed the difficult helicopter? (Not the regular kind, but the one that drops 100 bombs simultaneously.
Holy crap! I just encountered my first batch of snipers. I didn't have a sniper rifle myself, and running like crazy didn't really work, so I picked up a trolly with my gravitation gun, and used it like a shield while I ran towards the sniper. Man that's cool! :)
[wcip]Angel,Nov 16 2004, Wrote:Holy crap! I just encountered my first batch of snipers. I didn't have a sniper rifle myself, and running like crazy didn't really work, so I picked up a trolly with my gravitation gun, and used it like a shield while I ran towards the sniper. Man that's cool! :)
[right][snapback]60317[/snapback][/right]

I just threw grenades at them, worked pretty well too. When they're too far I use the SMG's explosive bullet thingies :)

This game is soooo sweet, it's all Doom 3 wanted to be (but WASN'T) and then some.

THINGS ARE NOT PITCH BLACK! YAY!
What I am about to say could be considered a spoiler of sorts. You have been warned. There is no sniper rifle in Half-Life 2. However there is a crossbow with a scope on it like the original Half-Life. Unlike the Half-Life version this one does not use clips, nor does it fire the same old boring bolts. No no, you see this one fires red hot sections of rebar! And on top of that, it has been beefed up quite a bit. It can actually nail people to the wall :ph34r:.
Yepp, I've got that weapon, but I still say the guys shooting at me had sniper rifles. I distinctly heard the bang of a rifle, and not the thud of a crossbow, when they were shooting at me.
Nomad25055,Nov 17 2004, 06:06 AM Wrote:What I am about to say could be considered a spoiler of sorts. You have been warned. There is no sniper rifle in Half-Life 2. However there is a crossbow with a scope on it like the original Half-Life. Unlike the Half-Life version this one does not use clips, nor does it fire the same old boring bolts. No no, you see this one fires red hot sections of rebar! And on top of that, it has been beefed up quite a bit. It can actually nail people to the wall :ph34r:.
[right][snapback]60349[/snapback][/right]

So that fancy physics based dingus game engine thingie is working? Or was it a gizmo?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
It works! You can say what you want about HL2, but that physics engine is a major milestone in gaming history!
Yes! The physics work great. Oh, and I didn't mean there are no sniper rifles in the game, I simply meant that you, the player, don't get anything along those lines except the crossbow. At this point in time, I can't help but hope that the pheropods come into play a little more sometime down the road. What say you [wcip]Angel?
The physics engine indeed works wonders. I shielded myself with a big metallic door while advancing towards one of those auto-turrets to knock it off. Also, with the gravity gun you can grab a grenade thrown at you and send it back to its owner (if you're quick). Oh joy.

The only thing is that Gordon seems to have butter feet, and when trying to do the (luckily not so numerous) tricky jumps sometimes he'll just keep tumbling forward without any chance to stop for a step or two (far too much inertia for my liking), but meh.

Also, I'll say this. Those ant lions are vicious. Which is a joy ^_^