Magma has flowed to Mt. St. Helen's surface
CNN story

Quote:MOUNT ST. HELENS, Washington (AP) -- Volcanic rock has flowed to the surface of Mount St. Helens' crater, creating a new lava dome after weeks of seismic activity, a geologist said Tuesday.

Scientists had known for days that magma or molten rock was nearing the surface, as a bulge grew on the south side of the existing 1,000-foot lava dome and the increasingly hot rock gave off steam as it met water and ice in the crater. The bulge is now considered a new lava dome, the scientists said.

"Now that we have new lava at the surface, we're comfortable saying" that dome-building has resumed at the volcano, U.S. Geological Survey geologist Tina Neal said.

The bulge had risen at least 330 feet since scientists noticed it September 30.

Geologists said there is still a chance of explosive ash eruptions from the 8,364-foot mountain, and the immediate area around the volcano remained closed.

The mountain exploded on May 18, 1980, with a massive landslide as the top of the mountain collapsed. Any new ash eruption, scientists say, would likely be much smaller and would shoot vertically, instead of horizontally as in the devastating blast that left 57 people dead, leveled trees for miles around and covered much of the Pacific Northwest with ash.

The mountain in the Cascade Range rumbled back to life September 23, beginning with thousands of tiny earthquakes. For five days earlier this month, it spewed clouds of steam mixed with small amounts of old volcanic ash.

Earlier Tuesday, more steam rose from the crater as geologists kept up their close watch on the volcano.

I'd really like to see this sucker go off in a large way. I don't want people getting hurt or anything, but a volcanic eruption would be really interesting.

Here's a link to the Mount St. Helen's VolcanoCam. I love watching this.
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

I'm calling Tommy Lee Jones right now, just in case.
DeeBye,Oct 13 2004, 04:12 AM Wrote:I'm calling Tommy Lee Jones right now, just in case.
[right][snapback]57527[/snapback][/right]

Actually, if i'twere me, I'd be on the horn to Pierce Brosnan. ^_^
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Oct 13 2004, 12:23 AM Wrote:Actually, if i'twere me, I'd be on the horn to Pierce Brosnan. ^_^
[right][snapback]57528[/snapback][/right]

Pierce Brosnan was a lucky book nerd in Dante's Peak. Tommy Lee Jones GOT THINGS DONE in Volcano, without knowing a lick about volcanoes. Pierce saved maybe a dozen people in a sleepy town, while Tommy saved millions of lives in a major city.

Plus, there is no way that Pierce Brosnan is cooler than Tommy Lee Jones. Sure, he's got the accent and everything, but he ain't no Tommy Lee Jones.
You're talking out your ass, Deebye. Pierce has all those nice gizmos courtesy of the British secret service at his disposal! I'm sure Q has already designed some sort of anti-volcanic wrist-watch or something. What does Tommy Lee have? Ray guns don't do much to Volcanos, last time I checked; neither do Ray Bans. :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Oct 13 2004, Wrote:... Pierce has all those nice gizmos...
You gotta be kidding. Brosnan couldn't stop a beetle-fart, he's gotta be the crappiest Bond ever. Even Woody Allen, as Jimmy Bond, was a better Secret Agent / Vocano Stopper.

-rcv-
channel1,Oct 13 2004, 06:12 PM Wrote:You gotta be kidding.  Brosnan couldn't stop a beetle-fart, he's gotta be the crappiest Bond ever.  Even Woody Allen, as Jimmy Bond, was a better Secret Agent / Vocano Stopper.

-rcv-
[right][snapback]57556[/snapback][/right]

A difference of opinion is what makes a horse race interesting.

And I think Pierce is the best replacement for Sean yet. :P
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

channel1,Oct 13 2004, 05:12 PM Wrote:You gotta be kidding.  Brosnan couldn't stop a beetle-fart, he's gotta be the crappiest Bond ever.  Even Woody Allen, as Jimmy Bond, was a better Secret Agent / Vocano Stopper.

-rcv-
[right][snapback]57556[/snapback][/right]

Brosnan RULES!

(I'm making fun of you guys having a pointless argument argument about James Bonds, of all things, and not even using information to do it.)
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Anyway, volcanoes.

Let's get it from straight from Washington.

You can also get daily photos here.

The glowing magma is hypnotizing.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
That glowing light is an alien spacecraft ;) . Like the two small globes spotted during the WTC plane bombings. They can obviously predict the future with 100% accuracy :P .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Count Duckula,Oct 13 2004, 10:28 PM Wrote:Anyway, volcanoes.

Let's get it from straight from Washington.

You can also get daily photos here.

The glowing magma is hypnotizing.
[right][snapback]57568[/snapback][/right]

Magma. Magma. MAGMA!

What a great word!
Ah, but who here remembers when Mt. St. Helens blew its top in 1980? I do. I was in Okanogan, Washington. We didn't get very much ash there, just things floating around in the air.

But I knew people who had to shovel it off their driveway.

Mother nature in all its fury though--truly awesome. Those film clips of the boiling mud slides... all very impressive.
As long as it goes off to the East I'll be fine. :-) However, if the volcano were to cause mudslides to the west many of my friends would probably end up with severe damage to their homes and it could hurt their families, so I'm hoping it won't go off as you do.
-TheDragoon
I'd rather have superman...

[wcip]Angel,Oct 13 2004, Wrote:... What does Tommy Lee have? Ray guns don't do much to Volcanos, last time I checked; neither do Ray Bans. :P
[right][snapback]57537[/snapback][/right]
That's assuming that what is happening at St. Helens' is a natural disaster...

"Zed— this is Kay. We've beaten back the Ewok invasion, but we're gonna need major containment operations and some landscaping done. Those furry bastards really did a number with their new antiproton catapaults. Yeah, we've got a lot of dead Ewoks on the ground here, and I think the new kid got gang-raped by a bunch of their warriors before we could shoot them all off. We'll need medical and a disposal unit out here... No, we did White Castle last time. Try Arbys'."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
For this I feel Rhydderch Hael deserves a forum title.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Oct 14 2004, 04:36 PM Wrote:For this I feel Rhydderch Hael deserves a forum title.
[right][snapback]57615[/snapback][/right]

I'll second that motion.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
LavCat,Oct 14 2004, 07:36 PM Wrote:For this I feel Rhydderch Hael deserves a forum title.
[right][snapback]57615[/snapback][/right]
Given the new board software, he can have any title he wants (within board guidelines?). "Yes little Rhyddie, when you grow up you can be anything you want to be!"

LochnarITB
Former Director of Lurker Lounge Quality Assurance Testing
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
vor_lord,Oct 13 2004, 09:17 PM Wrote:Ah, but who here remembers when Mt. St. Helens blew its top in 1980?  I do.  I was in Okanogan, Washington.  We didn't get very much ash there, just things floating around in the air.

Mother nature in all its fury though--truly awesome.  Those film clips of the boiling mud slides... all very impressive.
[right][snapback]57573[/snapback][/right]
Yep, I was in north Idaho at the time and got a few days off from school while gray ash settled onto the ground like dirty snow. It was surreal.

Now I get to peek at the mountain whenever I'm around north Portland and I get to hear/see/read all about it through the media. Anyway, predictions are that if it blows, the vent will be straight up rather than to one side or the other, like what happened in 1980. Of course, even straight up will cause fallout, with the heavier stuff falling closer to the mountain and the wind carrying the lighter stuff to wherever. This time of the year the wind direction changes constantly so that could be 'fun'.

I doubt anyone would get injured this time around unless some fool decided to ignore warnings and stay on the mountain. Time will tell. In the meantime, it is fun to watch.
Back to the searing gorge for me.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
vor_lord,Oct 13 2004, 09:17 PM Wrote:Ah, but who here remembers when Mt. St. Helens blew its top in 1980?  I do.  I was in Okanogan, Washington.  We didn't get very much ash there, just things floating around in the air.

Mother nature in all its fury though--truly awesome.  Those film clips of the boiling mud slides... all very impressive.
[right][snapback]57573[/snapback][/right]

HOLY CRAP, we were practically neighbors (Bulldogs suck... :P )! I was in Omak and I remember hearing the blast that morning. I was outside with my father getting ready to wash the car when we heard it. We thought it was just one of the jets from either Fairchild or from the coast flying around and going supersonic.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.