I can't use my 1-player characters over .
grrrr.... I only started playing over . yesterday, and I had to start over... I couldn't use any of my single-player characters! Why?!
Quote:What is an Open Character?
Open Characters are stored locally on your own computer and, while you can set up games and chat over Battle.net, you cannot play these characters on a Diablo II Realm. In an Open Game, one player's computer is the game server, while the other players connect to it. Since Blizzard cannot be responsible for the locally stored characters, or the servers upon which the games are played, Open Games are more vulnerable than Realm Games to certain forms of manipulation and abuses by other players. The big advantage of Open Games, however, is that you can bring your Single-Player Characters onto Battle.net. You can play with your friends over Battle.net and then continue playing that character in Single Player as often as you want.

Can you play an Open Character over Battle.net?
Yes. However, you cannot play in games with Realm Characters.

What is a Realm Character?
Realm Characters are played exclusively on Diablo II Realms over Battle.net and cannot play in Single Player, Open, or TCP/IP games. A Realm is a Diablo II game server hub that is hosted and maintained by Blizzard. While playing on a Realm, your character is secure from many cheats, hacks, or other abuses that could occur in an Open Battle.net or TCP/IP game. Realm Characters are stored on a Diablo II Realm and can accessed from any computer when you log into Battle.net. There are several Realms on Battle.net, each located in a different part of the world. When creating a Realm Character, choose a Realm whose location is closest to you for the best play experience.

Note: Directly from Arreat Summit

Hope that helps!
DroopingCactus
Quote:Adeyke and people like him get tons of questions exactly like this one by people who're apparently too stupid to play without Maphack, too stupid to read the Help file that comes with the program, too stupid to turn off the socket protection when they're using Maphack, and too stupid to realize that they're stepping before the firing squad when asking questions like that in forums like this.
-AK404
It would help if you explained exactly what you're trying to do and what the problem is.

If you're trying to play SP with SP characters from a previous install, the problem might be that your current install is an older version. You can't load 1.10 characters in a 1.07 game, for example.
I clicked on the battle.net button just below single-player... I created an account, blah blah, and I think I went to the Asia server...
In that case, DroopingCactus's quote already explains it. One characters created for a certain realm can play on that realm. SP characters can't. They're restricted to SP games, TCP/IP games and open b.net games.
:( oh okay... but why'd battle.net make it that way? so, all my single-player characters are useless for battle.net realm purposes?

:(
It's very good thing they made it like that. It's absolutely trivial to cheat with SP characters. Having the characters located on the realms server makes it that much harder.

If you do want to play on b.net with your SP characters, just play on open b.net. That's what it's there for.
oh ok, thanks!