This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-08-2011, 08:25 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I don't think we can narrowly read the statistics that way. Just because someone thinks homosexuality is "wrong", wouldn't mean they automatically oppose homosexuality existing in the society. It's a convenient tactic to just lump together and discount everyone who disagrees as a bigot, but again, it is usually an obvious tactic of demagoguery.

It's a slim step away from "If you're not for us, you are against us."

And making mealymouthed apologies for outright bigotry is a step away from what?

Quote:I mean other than that he doesn't follow the fundamentals of Christian theology... Maybe he religiously remembers to hate every day, but he isn't following any "religious" teaching that I know of.

More of the usual - anyone whose Christianity doesn't line up with yours, isn't a Christian. No true scotsman.

Phelps can give you chapter and verse for pretty much all of his completely mad beliefs. It's all there in the Bible. He just takes it more literally than most - although, come to think of it, wandering around yelling inappropriately at people and disrupting their religious rituals by telling people they're going to go to hell... that reminds me of someone.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by Jester - 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM