This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/stat...0231590912

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-06-2011, 03:29 AM)DeeBye Wrote: http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/stat...0231590912

Nah, they're a joke because their religious beliefs stem from a hilarious land of make-believe where God seeks to destroy civilizations for having buttsex.

Also, I heard that Apple has hired Zombie Amy Winehouse to take care of the WBC protesters. Zombies don't mind the taste of troll.

-Lem
(10-06-2011, 05:13 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote:
(10-06-2011, 03:29 AM)DeeBye Wrote: http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/stat...0231590912

Nah, they're a joke because their religious beliefs stem from a hilarious land of make-believe where God seeks to destroy civilizations for having buttsex.

Also, I heard that Apple has hired Zombie Amy Winehouse to take care of the WBC protesters. Zombies don't mind the taste of troll.

-Lem

Well at least they stick with their story. You either believe in god and do what is written in the bible or you don't. Most people however are halfway there. '''I would be an atheist but I am scared that I will go to hell so I stick with being religious''

Or '''I use my religion only for becoming popular with other people....e.g. to become elected governor, but my lifestyle (hookers, drugs and stealing) will not be influenced by it too much'''''

On topic. Westboro is not a joke, they are morons. And if someone can be put in prison just for looking a bit arab and buying a plane ticket, maybe they should also just arrest the whole bunch of these idiots.
(10-06-2011, 08:03 AM)eppie Wrote: Well at least they stick with their story. You either believe in god and do what is written in the bible or you don't. Most people however are halfway there. '''I would be an atheist but I am scared that I will go to hell so I stick with being religious''

Or '''I use my religion only for becoming popular with other people....e.g. to become elected governor, but my lifestyle (hookers, drugs and stealing) will not be influenced by it too much'''''

WBC is a hate group created by Fred Phelps in response to what is likely his own self-hatred at being attracted to men, and it appropriated the religious notion of Imminent Societal Disaster to convince its members that their abusive behaviors are for the best. I don't see anything respectable in its members holding fast to their central beliefs any more than I find it respectable for members of the Klan to do the same.

-Lem
WBC is indeed a hate group. They are a hate group stuck in the mentality of some of the early / mid 80's radical churches who also did things like bomb abortion clinics, and assault and kill homosexuals.

My father was an associate pastor in a 'radical' church in the 80's, and I saw a lot of that craziness first hand as a kid. Looking at my dad now, it blows my mind that he was ever sucked into that type of church. But then I realize that men like Fred Phelps are conniving, deceitful, charismatic, and above all else, incredibly dangerous men. What they do is brainwashing. Hands down, and they are master "proof texters" of the bible, often pulling small bits of odd scripture from archaic old testament books to back up their point, and then cover it in more excerpts from the New Testament which, when looked at without the rest of the text, seems to back up their point.

Fred Phelps should be arrested and tried for what he has done. I'm torn on how I feel about those who follow him. Most of them are family, which makes me wonder how long the brainwashing has been going on, and how many of them are still there out of fear.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-06-2011, 01:38 PM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: [quote='eppie' pid='189989' dateline='1317888180']WBC is a hate group created by Fred Phelps in response to what is likely his own self-hatred at being attracted to men, and it appropriated the religious notion of Imminent Societal Disaster to convince its members that their abusive behaviors are for the best. I don't see anything respectable in its members holding fast to their central beliefs any more than I find it respectable for members of the Klan to do the same.

-Lem

I know what WBC is. I just made an ironic comment about religious people in general. Don't you think the pope hurts a lot more people than Fred Phelps?

George Bush invades Iraq because god wants so....at least that is what he says and that is what lends him the unconditional support of a large percentage of americans.
Eppie,

I think that you are looking at it from a different perspective than a lot of people. No, Personally, I don't think that the Pope is NEARLY as bad as Fred Phelps, and I'm fairly anti-Catholicism in my views of god / religion / faith / etc... GWB isn't Catholic, and his usage of religious tones to orchestrate the war is a far different point to make that what Fred Phelps is doing. Fred Phelps is doing near irreparable harm to the image of christianity, while pushing a political agenda aimed at his "enemy"

His campaign is akin to dropping a bunker buster on a house to deal with a termite problem. It isn't winning him friends on any side. From an atheist POV, it would be easy to lump Fred Phelps in with the likes of the Pope, and pastors, and all others whom that PoV would take offense to. But, from a different perspective, Fred Phelps is an evil man. While some might find my analogy here hyperbolic, he is more akin to hitler than the pope.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-06-2011, 03:00 PM)shoju Wrote: he is more akin to hitler than the pope.

Godwin's law on only the 7th post!
You sank my battleship Vor! Darn you for figuring out my plan. I have never invoked Godwin's Law, and figured this was as good of a place as any to do so, without feeling like I was being too hyperbolic.
(10-06-2011, 06:34 PM)shoju Wrote: You sank my battleship Vor! Darn you for figuring out my plan. I have never invoked Godwin's Law, and figured this was as good of a place as any to do so, without feeling like I was being too hyperbolic.

Interesting. I won't comment on how hyperbolic the invocation of Godwin's law with respect to WBC is, other than to say that WBC is only granted its power by the media. They don't command armies, put up death camps etc.

Is WBC a hate group? Yes--but I don't think that's their primary driver.
Is WBC a religious group? Nominally, but I don't think that's their primary driver either.

First and foremost, WBC are attention whores. They go for maximum publicity, regardless of the kind.

Threads like this serve them more than anything else.
Proud atheist here. Voltaire said it best: religion is superstition.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Either everyone missed it, or no one is commenting on it because it's so blatantly obvious. That twitter message was sent from an iphone. Steve Jobs is a fag-enabler and we'll cheer about his death, but man this iphone is pretty sweet!

(10-07-2011, 03:32 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Either everyone missed it, or no one is commenting on it because it's so blatantly obvious. That twitter message was sent from an iphone. Steve Jobs is a fag-enabler and we'll cheer about his death, but man this iphone is pretty sweet!

Heh, I got a good chuckle out of that Big Grin

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(10-06-2011, 05:50 PM)vor_lord Wrote:
(10-06-2011, 03:00 PM)shoju Wrote: he is more akin to hitler than the pope.

Godwin's law on only the 7th post!

This Godwin's law is so 2005.
I think that it even is worse in a discussion to come up with Godwins law than to compare somebody to Hitler.
(10-06-2011, 03:00 PM)shoju Wrote: Eppie, His campaign is akin to dropping a bunker buster on a house to deal with a termite problem. It isn't winning him friends on any side. From an atheist POV, it would be easy to lump Fred Phelps in with the likes of the Pope, and pastors, and all others whom that PoV would take offense to. But, from a different perspective, Fred Phelps is an evil man. While some might find my analogy here hyperbolic, he is more akin to hitler than the pope.

Of course in my country people like Phelps would be put in prison, and I would fully support that. (even though Geert Wilders thinks freedom of speech is the same as frreedom to insult.....on second thought, I am sure Wilders would love phelps).
(sadly they still wont put the pope in prison. Smile )
(10-07-2011, 03:32 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Either everyone missed it, or no one is commenting on it because it's so blatantly obvious. That twitter message was sent from an iphone. Steve Jobs is a fag-enabler and we'll cheer about his death, but man this iphone is pretty sweet!

What's an iphone?

(10-06-2011, 08:03 AM)eppie Wrote: On topic. Westboro is not a joke, they are morons. And if someone can be put in prison just for looking a bit arab and buying a plane ticket, maybe they should also just arrest the whole bunch of these idiots.
When hateful people are arrested for being hateful, and saying hateful things we are all in trouble.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(10-07-2011, 10:41 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(10-06-2011, 08:03 AM)eppie Wrote: On topic. Westboro is not a joke, they are morons. And if someone can be put in prison just for looking a bit arab and buying a plane ticket, maybe they should also just arrest the whole bunch of these idiots.
When hateful people are arrested for being hateful, and saying hateful things we are all in trouble.

I am pretty sure we have laws against disturbing funerals.

We are in much more trouble when hateful people can become president of a big country.....o wait....that already happened.

This all comes back to my first ironic comment.
We can all be really outraged because of a few of these retards, but at the same time we get guys leading the most powerful nation on earth (for now) that don't believe in evolution.....and act on that.

In the big picture Phelps is a nobody that uses the fact that many americans somewhat agree with him to keep spreading his hate without being arrested. Of course if Fred had said he would favour a social healthcare system he would no already be doing 20 years in jail. Smile

Of course Phelps is not arrested...in many states gays are not even allowed to get married. I mean if 9/11 was a punishment of God because the US is to gay friendly i really wonder what will happen to Western europe if we follow his logic.
(10-07-2011, 12:19 PM)eppie Wrote: Of course Phelps is not arrested...in many states gays are not even allowed to get married. I mean if 9/11 was a punishment of God because the US is to gay friendly i really wonder what will happen to Western europe if we follow his logic.

That reminds me of this.

---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(10-07-2011, 01:14 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: That reminds me of this.

Cool!! in some states you can marry your same-sex first cousin.
Oh what... wait... Looks at pic again.

WOW.
(10-07-2011, 03:49 PM)shoju Wrote: Oh what... wait... Looks at pic again.

WOW.

That was my reaction as well when I first saw it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.