This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-11-2011, 04:58 PM)Taem Wrote: You are aware, aren't you, that the "native" indigenous people here in this country cannot express their religious beliefs (which include in some cultures of smoking marijuana or eating peyote) in the same way as the crusading conquerors that have made America exactly what it is. Would you want your children practicing VooDoo in school, made very popular in parts of Louisiana due to the large amount of immigrants that brought it over.
Right. All over Louisiana, the children are practicing voodoo... Maybe you have some statistics on the percentage of people who practice this? I'm just wondering how big an issue that might be... Your implications seem a bit sensational, as voodoo or hoodoo, (the mishmash of African and Catholic spirituality), is more of a tourist attraction for visitors to New Orleans.

As for Native Americans... of course they should be allowed to practice their spirituality. And, for the record, I don't believe in the criminalization of drug use, or in any "vice".

This book is more the gist of what I'm talking about, The Culture of Disbelief: How American Law and Politics Trivialize Religious Devotion. I'm very willing to have my "extreme" position on religious issues be lumped together with people like Professor Stephan L. Carter.

Quote:All your talk is nothing more than rhetoric. You speak high and mighty of your ideals but you don't even think before you talk! If you were serious about being sensitive to individuals cultural beliefs in schools in regards to religion, then be prepared for the backlash of cultural ideals clashing of the likes that have never been seen.
Rhetoric = "skill in the effective use of speech " Thank you. Nope. No thinking at at all. I just set my fingers to the keyboard and voila! It's a mystery. I'm serious about allowing cultural diversity. I'm the one calling for a massive increase in immigration the the USA. I'm ready for the backlash.

Quote:The only reason Christianity is mainstream for the most part here is because it was pushed and pushed by the majority of the leaders. Tell me, why is it you are only supporting teaching Christianity in schools and not other religions beliefs of creation when you talk about being "sensitive" to peoples cultural religious beliefs? Your full of it Kath. Just another crusader in our midst.
I think another contribution to the popularity of Christianity is the large number of people who emigrated here who practice it. It was important for my great grandmother in particular who was persecuted for her faith back in Europe. She and some of the others in rural Minnesota donated the land and what money they could from their farming to build a church of their denomination here in America in the late 1860's.

I support teaching all religions. I happen to be a Christian, but in principle, I have little against most of the other faiths. I will admit that I'm biased against fundamentalism of all kinds, whether it be Judaic, Christian, or Islamic... By their choice, I'm de facto opposed to New Atheism, but I've don't have a problem with the "live and let live" people of any persuasion, whether they believe or not. In the past discussions on this topic, the bottom line for me has been that society needs a common code for moral and ethical behavior, and for most Americans, that code has stemmed from their religious upbringing. It was for me, but I rejected it when I was in college, and for along time I sought to replace it through the study of philosophy, until I came back to it in my late 20's with a more open mind.

I'm also a big fan of the Dalai Lama... If that matters to you.... He said, "With the ever-growing impact of science on our lives, religion and spirituality have a greater role to play by reminding us of our humanity. There is no contradiction between the two. Each gives us valuable insights into the other. Both science and the teachings of the Buddha tell us of the fundamental unity of all things. This understanding is crucial if we are to take positive and decisive action on the pressing global concern with the environment. I believe all religions pursue the same goals, that of cultivating human goodness and bringing happiness to all human beings. Though the means might appear different the ends are the same." -- Nobel acceptance speech (1989)

A crusader. Hmmm. There are some good and bad connotations in that. I believe you meant it in the derogatory name calling sense. But, in a certain sense, I am a crusader. Currently, I'm fighting for making college more affordable. I'm fighting for expanding opportunities for minorities, and improving overall cultural competence at the college where I work. I've volunteered to mentor struggling international students who have trouble adapting to our culture. I'm working on including an annual program self assessment for college in the high schools programs in my State. I use my position in the college administration to help identify institutional failure. In my neighborhood, I'm pretty active in helping to preserve the freedom of myself and my neighbors. I just view that as good citizenship, and I try to live myself as I would expect from those others around me.

So... Maybe I'm just an old wind bag... But, I feel my wind bagginess is helping to make a difference in improving peoples lives around me. You might disagree with me, and I take it you do, but there is no need to get all mad and call me names... Is there?

Wow. I just reread what I wrote. How did I do that?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by kandrathe - 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM