Conquest creates comprehensive Molten Core Guide
Quark,Feb 10 2005, 06:50 AM Wrote:Problem is, Blizzard has to bring the hammer down harshly, and swiftly.  If they don't the economy can be ruined.  Ruined economies never get fixed.  It's much quicker and safer for Blizzard to overkill something immediately, and then look at it later for possibly making it better again.
[right][snapback]67748[/snapback][/right]

But think about the trend that this encourages.

People exploited fishing for gold
Blizzard nerfed fishing into oblivion, so that fish sell for well below what it should be on average.
People exploited Doan for gold
Blizzard nerfed the sale of his drops into oblivion, well below what they should sell for given what similar level mobs drop.
People farmed Ashzara for feathers for gold
Blizzard nerfed the sell price of feathers into oblivion, well below what they should sell for given what similar level mobs drop AND they increased mob HP and armor.
People farmed Venture Co. in STV for lanterns for gold
Blizzard nerfed the sell price of these lanterns into oblivion, well below what they should sell for given what similar level mobs drop.

So what's next. What is the next thing that is farmed and it's price gets nerfed to hell? All actions like that do are ENCOURAGE exploiting while you can, because those exploiters are going to be the only ones with money.

By nerfing values so severely they exacerbate the problem... they accelerate the demise of the economy. I'm all for quick fixes, when those fixes address the root cause. But as an engineer I see too many times when someone implements a solution that does not address the real issue. It's great for job security, but it sucks to clean up after.

Blizzard has been very quick to implement fixes for issues like this, but they do not address the root of the issue. All they do is encourage someone to go out and farm the next best thing until that one gets nerfed.

If Blizzard had changed the prices into something remotely close to parity with what you get off of similar mobs, I would agree with you, but they have not. They have gone overboard.

It is this tendency that Blizzard has shown to be overzealous on these things that are what brings a shadow of doubt to my mind. If I had not experienced the first few months of WoW, I would 100% say Conquest cheezed and deserved it. But given what has happened, I cannot trust that Blizzard made the correct decision. At the same time, of course I cannot trust a group of powergamers to have not exploited.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

Messages In This Thread
Conquest creates comprehensive Molten Core Guide - by Concillian - 02-10-2005, 08:38 PM