The Dilemma!
So. I am unhappy with the state of pvp.

I do not like that people fight only for points. PvP should be about the enjoyment of PvP. I do not like that there are no penalties for failing in PvP. If a balanced way of penalizing 'getting pwned' were to come about, the honor system would stop rewarding the persistent, and start rewarding the skilled. (It would have to be some scary kind of balance, though. After all, even the best lose sometimes, and it's quite likely to die repeatedly to overwhelming odds.)

So, with the battlegrounds and their numerous bonuses to honor points, and the honor system's 'grinding honor for benefit,' pvp now mostly takes place in the battlegrounds. Earlier pvp hotspots have been abandoned. The likelihood of finding an enemy player of your own level and up for a fight has been significantly diminished. Solo pvp is all but non-existent outside of duels, and a bit of luck. (Note that this may just be the case on MY PvP server.)

With that in mind, it is possible that, for one, my guild on Gorefiend could experience some unpleasant upheaval which I likely do not want to stick around for. And for another, some friends of mine who want nothing to do with PvP servers (or the horde for some reason) may be getting the game soon.

So, I may find the cause to up and move servers. Likely PvE. (I have proposed Stormrage, for great justice. It may be as many as nine of us though, so I doubt there will be direct affilliation with the Lurkers, seeing as I am the only one who regularly posts here.)

To all of you who have played both PvP and PvE: Is it a big thing to miss? Will the controlled fighting of the PvE servers offer the same rewarding experience as the uncontrolled in the PvP servers?

Now, I'm not talking about ganking. (Though I've obviously gotten over getting ganked regularly.) I'm talking the REAL stuff. Riding out into PvP hotspots to hunt down gankers. The odd sheep and /happy combo to mess with an enemy's head. Getting jumped by someone nine levels over you and through overwhelming luck and skill sending him off in fear. Making the point to an enemy ganker that his specific brand of asshattery will. not. be. tolerated, to the point that he turns and runs at first sight of you. Chain-killing the guy who jumped you at low mana, the guy who appeared to help him, AND the random guy who thought it would be helpful to sheep you in mid-battle only to run off. The fight that's so close that two casters resort to staff-whacking eachother until that little bit of mana regens for the killing blow.

It's hard to imagine that duels and battlegrounds fit the bill, really. :( And the quality of enemies to fight will likely be significantly lower, where people can go straight to 60 without bothering to fight a single other player. And it is quite likely that the population of people who consider PvP a crime to match eating live kittens will be a leeeetle bit higher.

I... really don't want to level a character to 50 or so, just to find that the whole basis the server is built around will only feed half of my addiction.

Messages In This Thread
The Dilemma! - by Bob the Beholder - 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
The Dilemma! - by Bolty - 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
The Dilemma! - by vor_lord - 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
The Dilemma! - by Bob the Beholder - 06-28-2005, 08:00 PM
The Dilemma! - by oldmandennis - 06-28-2005, 09:22 PM
The Dilemma! - by Brista - 06-30-2005, 09:11 AM