A sequel that made sense
After reading widely divergent reviews, I decided to see for myself. Clerks was funny and coarse, but funny enough. So, I went to see Clerks II today after work, as I was badly in need of some funny.

I laughed more than I expected. Yes, there is gratuitous grossness. Kevin Smith seems to think that gross is great humor material. The cast timed the gags well, even if there was a bit too much of the "fart joke" genre in the material. There was enough other funny, and back and forth between the characters, to make it worth my while.

I will not post spoilers, nor plot points. The R rating surely was for Revolting.

What I liked most, other than the Michael Jackson song dance moment, was that as a sequel, it felt like a sequel to the first film, rather than just another film trying to cash in on the success of the first.

Twisted and sick, sure, but the main characters indluge in a modest amount of character development (arrested as theirs is in a basic sense). A strange sense of continuity.

I liked the ending, all deus ex machina considered.

So, if you liked Clerks, Clerks II is worth a look, but I recommend a matinee show to save a couple of bucks. If youdidn't see Clerks, don't see Clerks II until you have rented the first. It is a necessary condition for enjoying this film.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
A sequel that made sense - by Occhidiangela - 07-22-2006, 01:47 AM
A sequel that made sense - by DeeBye - 07-26-2006, 02:16 AM
A sequel that made sense - by Mithrandir - 07-27-2006, 05:57 AM
A sequel that made sense - by ima_nerd - 08-01-2006, 04:30 AM