Conquest creates comprehensive Molten Core Guide
Zoid,Feb 11 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:Wow, this is quite a statement, actually.  You just really showed how polarizing this issue is.  You have people that will do nothing short to use any bug, exploit or advantage to gain items/power/fame and on the other side you have the people making the game attempting to make it fair and balanced for everyone.  It's essentially a war of ethics and so far Blizzard is making sure they have the advantage.

Blizzard has been extremely conservative in every aspect of economy design.  Look at the item system--the epics dropped by the mobs in the highest dungeon (Molten Core) are only a few percentage points better than set items dropped in regular level 60 instances.  There are no real items that are completely better than everything else.

Blizzard even acknowledged this and have already said they are going to beef up stuff like set items.  Right now the class sets aren't really that great (have you looked at the Rogue shadowcraft boots?  That's just plain broken).

I think they've taken a conservative approach to everying related to economy in this game.  From item abilities, costs, incoming from mobs, etc.  It's easier to make things better and more powerful than to nerf them later.  Of course, they missed a few.  The feathers dropped by the Hippogriffs in Azshara were actually items used in a quest to teleport up to see the Archmage there--they just messed up and made their resale value too high.
[right][snapback]67828[/snapback][/right]

I think in many regards a conservative approach to the design in an MMO isn't a bad thing. In fact, far from bad, I largely like many of the effects. I'm currently elated that there are no unbalancing l33t itAmz a la D2 that are necessary for the endgame. This makes the world accessable to the casual gamer, and also makes skill play a further role as it becomes the stratifying factor when gear fails to seperate the wheat of the player base from the chaff.

That all said... there have been some very hard, hard reactions. Fisihing, in its current state, is utterly without value, except for leveling cooking, for a hunter's pet, or for Oily Blackfish, which I'm pretty sure have something to do with alchemy materials. Sure, some uses, but I can say that for me, as a warrior, it has been a waste of time, other than leveling cooking, which was a marginally useful endeavor.

As far as nerfing the economy... bah. They're a bit zealous about it, but as long as tehy go back and fix the places where they overcompensated, I'll be happy. For all that they've made it hard to make some mone,y this is nowhere near as awful as Final Fantasy 11's system, where it was nearly impossible to ever make a buck.

As far as the summon rogue pull... banning people for that strikes me as bad form. Really, I think it would be much simpler to, say, make it so that it was impossible to accept a summon while you were in combat. That tactic seems like an exploit that needs a fix, but I've yet to see anything worthy of labeling them a lot of powergamers. There are a whole number of exploits that need fixes at the moment.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon

Messages In This Thread
Conquest creates comprehensive Molten Core Guide - by Thawwing Light - 02-12-2005, 10:37 PM