Item bonuses
At least at the levels I've reached, most wearable items seem to take the form of a bonus to armor and a bonus on 1-3 of the primary stats (with an item's rarity being roughly related to the sum of the stat bonuses). Since there are no stat requirements in the game (right?), any useful stat increases your ability to take damage and/or increases your ability to deal it, so with enough knowledge of what exactly each stat does, it should be possible to boil down each item to two stats: how much it, on average, increases your final dps, and how many effective hit points it gives you in defense on average.

Is this information known? Assuming the character and ability sheets are accurate, I got a few statistics for my level 23 tauren shaman (in an attempt to compare stamina vs agility):

+1 stamina = +11 hp
+1 agility = +2 armor, +0.1% critical chance, +0.1% dodge chance
+1 armor = +0.02% damage reduction

effective dps = base dps * (1 + crit chance)
effective hp = character hp / ( (1 - dodge chance) * (1 - block chance) * (1 - damage reduction from armor) )

the result on my particular character was that adding 3 stamina gave me about 50 more ehp (about a 5% improvement), and adding 2 agility gave me about 5. the agility also gave me only 0.2% more damage from increased criticals; I assumed stamina was more useful than agility for my character, but I didn't expect it to be this extreme, so if my calculations are accurate, the assumption I was making at lower levels that "a stat is a stat" was very wrong.

And then there are questions:
Did I miss some benefit of stamina/agility/armor for a melee+shield character?

What do the various other stats do?

How much of a LCS does WoW have?

How generally applicable are these formulas? If the rules already availiable somewhere, a few people taking down their stats with and without a piece of armor and posting them in a reply would make it a lot easier to figure out.

What does the 'block value' on the shield do? It doesn't appear to change the chance to block.

Does anything change the chance to block?

I assume you qualify for dodge and block (and parry if you've got it) on every incoming attack -- is that true?

-- frink

Messages In This Thread
Item bonuses - by Professor Frink - 01-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Item bonuses - by vor_lord - 01-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Item bonuses - by Kevin - 01-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Item bonuses - by Xanthix - 01-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Item bonuses - by Concillian - 01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Item bonuses - by Lord BEEF - 01-29-2005, 10:23 PM