This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-10-2011, 06:25 AM)Taem Wrote: Good advise. Pardon my ire, but if any person, any at all of the Judeo-Christian faith actually "read" the bible instead of letting it's verses be indoctrinated into them, maybe they would know "the facts". The contradictions in the creation in Genesis alone could be pointed out by a preschooler. And, no offense to any Christians out there, why anyone would call themselves believers in Christ when the bible itself proves Christ could not be Jews messiah? This is not heresy, but fact - check my document:
You've studied it enough to know that biblical study is not a one dimensional brain wash by theologians. Most Christians approach and address the topic of inconsistency, complementarianism, logical error, and cultural change. King David's invasion campaign conquered and then exterminated his enemies, including every old man, pregnant woman, and infant. Something unthinkable in our day. Only fundamentalists of any faith attempt to reset modern society to ancient norms.

Quote:Myths and legends are fine to use as teaching tools, but in no way do I want these sexist**, prejudice**, and racist** fantasies projected in the classroom as fact!
Which is your perception, and your opinion.

Quote:It's not about teaching children Atheism, but just teaching them science. It's up to the parents to indoctrinate their children into their own belief structure. Why you even bring up schools teaching kids Atheism is beyond me... trying to make a point Kath? Because it's not about schools teaching "either or", it's about them leaving religion out of schools - a concept seemingly beyond your comprehension so far in this thread.
And... I'm the one who is advocating the less treacherous middle ground. A middle ground where you focus on the science, but be *sensitive* to people's cultural beliefs. School children are also not one dimensional, and need to process what they learn into their understanding of the whole. What is so threatening about finding a middle ground where normal people can coexist in peace?

Quote:Have fun reading my short document. If that doesn't enlighten you to the problems in the Judeo-Christian "religion", I don't know what will.
Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm about at Nirvana...

But, seriously, I've studied all this in detail. For many religions, and non-religions... History is rife with people who abuse each other by misusing knowledge, ignoring wisdom, and replaying the same cycles of selfishness, factionalism, and destruction.

Some people want power over other people... they believe they are right and everyone else is wrong, and so they use whatever mechanisms they have, secular or religious, to take control of other peoples lives.
(10-10-2011, 08:30 AM)eppie Wrote: You are wrong. You as a libertarian who is for a smaller government etc. etc., just look at the private sector. If I work for a big consumer goods company....say I am a higher level manager at wallmart. If I am in a public situation (say something with a lot of press present) and I will express myself, just by saying I am an atheist I WILL be fired.
Wall-Mart does not appreciate this and will make sure I will get fired. Probably by law they are not allowed to, but they can probably prove that my comment has been very bad for business.....which is a legitimate cause for firing me.
As a libertarian... Any company (everyone) has the right to discriminate, except for those reasons proscribed by law.

(10-10-2011, 12:50 PM)Treesh Wrote: Depending on the state, they don't even need to give a reason. They can fire you at will without cause. I know Missouri is set up that way. You even sign a contract saying that you can quit without having to give notice and they can fire you without having to give a reason. So, yes, they can fire you for saying you're an atheist. I've even had a colleague fired for simply talking to someone trying to get unions into Walmart.
"Right to Work" -- more Orwellian double speak. It's actually the right to get fired for any reason whatsoever. But, I really don't have a problem with it so long as people have alternative choices of where to work. It gets troublesome in small towns dominated by one corporation, or in larger contexts by monopolies (or were their collusion between many organizations).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by kandrathe - 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM