This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-10-2011, 02:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: As a libertarian... Any company (everyone) has the right to discriminate, except for those reasons proscribed by law.

I know you think about it this way. But I find that strange. You are so scare of the state because it might force us to do things, like making us pay for a obligatory health insurance or so (except of course when it comes to expressing their faith Smile ), but at the same time you find it normal that companies can do whatever they want. This is strange because I guess you know that you live in a country (and more general we live in a world) where since some time we know the expression too big too fail.
But not only do we have companies that cannot go bankrupt because that will damage our entire economy, we also have companies that can tell us what to do through economic force, which is, you must admit this almost as powerful as political force.
In other words companies decide if someone can pay for their health insurance....are you poor they will sell you something that turns out not to cover for really anyhting. These companies decide what are best (read cheapest) treatment...etc. etc.

So why is it that you don't mind companies running your life, but you do mind when the government has a little too much power (according to your standards). And please don't come up again with this whole theoretical ideal society.....most normal people don't have time or money to make that work for them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by eppie - 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM