Calling all lurkers (Yes, I do mean you, and yes I can see you)
I'll try to be brief....but TL;DR Civ VI is a completely different game from its predecessors.

The biggest change is things you build in a city have to be placed on the map. The map is the familiar hex grid, and in old Civ you would build everything in the city and as the city's borders grew you would mine/farm the surrounding territory. Now, you have to build a 'district' on a hex to house buildings, and the number of districts is dependent on city size. Founding a city automatically gives you a City Centre district, where you can build the basic stuff like a monument or granary. A Commercial district would house the market, bank, etc. Military, Science, Culture, Industrial, Harbor, Religion -- all have their own districts needing to be built. Another big wrinkle is Wonders also have to occupy a hex. Thus, you can't go Ramses II and build every wonder under the sun in your capital anymore. You to manage your geography. A good motto to learn: Can't Build 'Em All.

Secondly, the Civics tree is now laid out like the Science one. You make choices on which branches to follow, and get boosts from performing actions / reaching achievements. Civics, along with form of government, opens up a vast plethora of Policy choices. You get to apply a certain number of Policies based on your type of government, and as your Civics advance the number/combinations become quite large.

City-States are handled differently; you just can't buy-them-off with cash anymore. You have to earn Envoys (by gov't type & policy choices) which you then send to the city-states. Most envoys wins. City-States are militarily tougher, and if you are in control of them you can press-gang their units for a period of turns to quickly boost your own military when fighting wars against major civs.

Barbarians are a bitch. Period. They are Always Raging in this game.

Games seem to drag a bit at standard pace. I play Quick.

I've not won a Science or Culture victory yet, still cycling thru the various civs to get a feel for them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calling all lurkers (Yes, I do mean you, and yes I can see you) - by SpazBear - 02-03-2017, 03:08 AM