California Teen Cell Phone Use Ban While Driving
Quote:Ok, so like I said earlier, we are legislating common sense. It will never end as long as their are senseless people who are allowed to roam around in our society. What you are describing is making laws to keep the honest sensible law abiding people honest. The senseless and the heedless will not follow them, and they may or may not get caught depending on whether a cop see's them, whether he has time to waste educating another idiot and whether he remembers that that specific stupid behavior has a special law.

Why is this such a black and white issue? There are a few places where legislating common sense would have a positive effect. Especially if it succeeds in keeping a few bozo's from killing someone else with their car. But why must this be a slippery slope? You keep speaking of it like no matter what, if we let one by, we're doomed to a thousand nit picky laws.

The root of our disagreement may be that I don't see this one law (in a vacuum, slippery slope future aside) as a bad law. That doesn't mean I'm for legislating common sense everywhere, but I do think people's judgment on a whole can benefit from some firm direction here and there.

Cheers,

Munk

Messages In This Thread
California Teen Cell Phone Use Ban While Driving - by Munkay - 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM