Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:Their conclusions can be true. Just like a stopped clock is right twice a day. Doesn't mean we should check our stopped clocks to see what time it is.
Now which fallacy would that be?;)

You are right, it does not mean we should check stopped clocks to see what time it is. That's not what I said. But I could have said that you shouldn't declare the time on a clock false, just because it stopped. Like you said, twice a day it is correct. I would suggest, though, from a scientific point of view, that the information gained from reading the stopped clock is invalid, and should be discarded to eliminate statistical 'contamination'.

To avoid possible misunderstandings, let me make clear that my mentioning of argument fallacy was in relation to the strawman examples from Wiki. If someone brings the bad functioning of Communism as an argument to a discussion on universal healthcare it would be a strawman, but they could still be right about the primairy question (and on the functioning of Communism too, for that matter). It was not saying that I would still be right if I was to use a strawman.

Quote:Stropopredenering
Never heard of it, too. Thanks, Eppie.

Quote:Which is why, as I've said before, I'd rather have a brilliant opponent than a stupid supporter.
Let me assume this is directed at me and my viewpoint on torture, and explain how I see it.

I doubt you'd ever call me a brilliant opponent, so you must be saying I support you. This is not the case. Even if the line for 'acceptable techniques' was placed somewhere between house-arrest and jail, I would still oppose it. Not on moral grounds, but for practical reasons: information gained is useless, but it can be abused. Imo, a discussion along these lines would have been less fruitless then trying to establish the boundaries of torture, but it's too late for that.

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by Zenda - 05-27-2009, 09:36 PM