Toughts on a setup...
Hey I'm a long time DSF reader, but rarely posted....
I'm also one of those who think D1 is better than D2, but that's not what I wanna talk about...

Here's a setup I tought of for a Zen warrior....

Helm of Sprits ;)
Obsidian armor of Harmony
Osbidian ring of Stability
Gold ring of Balance
Gold amulet of Perfection/Titan/Wizardry/Life/Heaven
Bloodslayer axe

Pros:

Massive damage on Demons with Bloodslayer;
Big life steal comes from the crown and the big damage;
Incredibly fast Hit Recovery with Zen HR synergy;
Maximum (or very near) resistances;

Cons:

Low mana;
Medium Life;
% to Hit problem in Hell/Hell;

My personal conclusion: This setup could work wonders for a mid to high level warrior (35-45) wanting to level up in Nightmare/Hell. The % to hit would be somewhere around 150 I'm guessing, Demons would fall in one hit :) and life would be replenished good enough. This is of course a LAW aproach, so no running into crowds of Drakes! To be viable in Hell/Hell, I'd have to give up Bloodslayer for CC and Emerald Shield of Balance and swap the Obsidian ring of stability for Gold ring of Stability for the added % to Hit and swap the Gold ring of Balance for a Gold ring of Perfection. I'm aware that Dex could be 120 max if Perfection on amulet and rind are both 30 so blocking could be a bit of a problem, but then again, that's where the Zen setup comes in Handy, but of course damage would be less that with Bloodslayer, but you gotta sacrifice something somewhere!

Anyway, I'd appreciate feedback, toughts and comments on this setup, and yes I am aware that most of the gear needed for it is extremely hard to get :), I'm allowed to dream! ;)
Some of the items do not exist together. For example, obsidian/stability and gold/balance. You can use (although hard to find) jade/stability and steel/balance. Apart from that it looks like a fun build, albiet a bit low on life and mana. I have a mp zen warrior who (as far as I can recall) uses the following setup: Emerald/tiger shield, Awesome Tiger FPM, snakes ring of stability; spiders ring of balance; obsidian amulet of the Tiger; awesome helm of harmony; and strange sword of haste. This setup furnishes maximum resistance, decent ac, plenty of life and adequate to-hit but is lowish on the mana side.
mmm... tought so about the non-existant items... too bad :(
Quote:Some of the items do not exist together. For example, obsidian/stability and gold/balance. You can use (although hard to find) jade/stability and steel/balance.

Steel's too high for Balance (qlvl 1). Bronze/Balance is the maximum.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Well... since my .10 + %Demon damage setup won't work that good, I'll work on a High AC Zen mage, who need MS bug (not that I use it ;) ) when ya got such a fast hit recovery! ;)
Lose the crown, really. You'll be drinking up so fast it'll most likely not make any difference whatsoever, by the time you land a hit you'll be halfway through your belt ;) The cap is one of the most important slots for a Zen, you can carry up to 100 extra hit points and some nifty resistances.

The biggest problem I see with the axe is not the fact that your to-hit is low (which, admitedly, is a bit of a bummer) but the fact that, with your slow swing, fast attackers will eat you alive. Make sure that you have good Chain Lightning and fireball/wall levels, those will help even with low mana. Of course if you go for the high AC route and aim for an awesome/harmony armour you'll have a much easier time.

About the to-hit, it'll be lousy at best, and you'll swing very slow. BUT with a critical at higher levels you'll be dispatching most of the monsters in hell/hell with a single blow. The motto: "Swing to kill!".

Have fun ^_^
Greetings,

I've already tested half a dozen times the Bloodslayer approach in Hell/Hell, still never with a Zen Setup.

The most succesful ( and fun ) setup was guided for H/H pure melee levels. I wore Götterdamerung, an Awesome Full Plate, a Gold Ring of Heavens, a Gold Ring of Titans and a Gold Ammulet Of Perfection.

You could try a similar High-AC Zen Setup with less ToHit% but heavy item requirements. The dream setup could be:

*Götterdamerung
*Awesome Full Plate of Harmony
*Bronze jewel of Balance
*Gold jewel of Stability
*Gold jewel of Heavens

That would grant ToHit ~150%, which would mean for a clvl 45 Warrior 50% of chance of hitting a Blood Knight and and 60% for an Azure Drake.

Nevertheless, some of the items of this setup can be really hard to achieve. I've never come across a Saintly or Awesome FPM of Harmony; Gris may sell Blessed/Harmony but overall AC would be pitiful.

Gold jewelry are also quite rare ( specially Gold/Heavens ); would require late caves / low hell runs.

Good Hunting.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
Have been playing Bloodslayer quite a bit recently (hit Hell diff already some time ago - no stupid shield and cc required) and a few notes:
- Bloodslayer is perfectly playable in h/h, BUT: without that zen. With that zen setup you simply wont reach the required th for h/h, which is ~170+ (not for dogs, but they are almost always paired with some tougher armored monsters)
- Zen usefulnes is doubtful against fast attackers (maws and maelstorms, namely, even in lower difficulties), especially if that means giving up better prefixes for th (gold, namely) ;
- Talking h/h: against maws (dogs) and maelstorms (lightning demons), some symbolic ac (around 190-200 if possible) is *critically* recommendable (still, you dont want to have 2 of them close up to you at once - thats a fringe situation you would not survive without that symbolic ac)
- Against drakes, a setup with no ac is perfectly playable providing application of a special tactic. Zen might help. Still: the h/h th issue.
- Otherwise, no ac required (knights, balrogs - again, tactics), the rest as with previous point. Without enough th, you will have a VERY hard life (or rather, death) in h/h, compared to that zen is pointless.
- At times, you will want to take off that hos for a helm giving some more resistances (particularly: 16, levels where both ac and resistances are required - "devilish 3-combination" - maws-maelstorms-witches)
- Also, if you have even only one resistance item, thats sufficient to survive (except 16), especially with lifesteal, though requires an utmost careful approach (ehm, bloodslayer always requires that). Best setup depending on monster combination.
Thenryb,Aug 29 2003, 10:04 PM Wrote:You can use (although hard to find) jade/stability and steel/balance. .
Just found me a 24% Jade ammy of Harmony :)

Plus been lucky lately on Dragon's/Tiger and Drake's/Tiger jewelry!
Hello Daemon,

"who need MS bug when ya got such a fast hit recovery"

Yes, the results are very similar, and both these effects are bugs. Apparantly because 'Zen' setup costs you 2 extra suffixes, many people here seem to tolerate it.
I'm sure your not a total idiot, but something concerns me:

Quote:Here's a setup I tought of for a Zen warrior....

Undead Crown
Obsidian armor of Harmony
Osbidian ring of Stability
Gold ring of Balance
Gold amulet of Perfection/Titan/Wizardry/Life/Heaven
Bloodslayer axe

That's a single player only item.

Quote:This setup could work wonders for a mid to high level warrior (35-45) wanting to level up in Nightmare/Hell.

Although one can get harder difficulties in single player, it's a bit fiddly, and your chances of getting any of the equipment at all will be seriously diminished in single player. I don't think you could make that build in a dream... :unsure:

-Bob
Yeah I know, it's just a mistake I made, I wanted to write Helm of Spirits, which is the Multiplayer equivalent of the Undead Crown.

Sorry :)
Daemon,Sep 19 2003, 05:14 AM Wrote:Yeah I know, it's just a mistake I made, I wanted to write Helm of Spirits, which is the Multiplayer equivalent of the Undead Crown.

Sorry :)
Then again, the real one is the helm of Sprits ;)
Quote: Yeah I know, it's just a mistake I made, I wanted to write Helm of Spirits, which is the Multiplayer equivalent of the Undead Crown.

the numbers in itallics are refernces to Jarulfs guide

avg lifesteal on an UC, 6.25% 6.1.4
lifesteal on helm of sprits 5%, 3.5.1
it's not quite the same, but either way, lifesteal isn't the beesnees (sp?) that it is in D2, you're better off getting 2 more powerful mods on a magic helm, or going for a different unique.

along with the fact that in any given SP game, you have a 1/2 chance to get an UC (assuming you can kill leoric) (8.1), you have a 1 in 130 chance to find a helm of sprits in a NM game assuming that you kill everything and 1 in 140 chance in hell. (3.11.1)

-Bob
Firstly, You do actually realize that when you say "I'm sure your[sic] not a total idiot", you are implying that the person still is some sort of idiot? You must do, I'm sure you're (note, contraction of you and are is you're) not a total idiot.

Anyway, nice way to join a conversation.

Secondly... how many Unique Helms are there in SP that have a life-steal component? Hmmm... let's count them... there's the Undead Crown, there's the... oh that's right, there's only one. Right, let's count how many there are in MP games! There's the Helm of Sprits, there's the... oh, there's only one in MP too.

Hey they even have analogous functions! Ooohhh... they may not be identical, but it sure as heck sounds equivalent to me.

I'm sure you're not a total idiot, and that you know that while the meanings of identical and equivalent may indeed be similar, the two words only have equivalent meanings, and not identical ones.

Thought for the day: For every pedant exists a bigger pedant.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Hehe...

Someone (I won't name them, so see if you can guess. ;) ) sent me this via private mail -

-----
Title: Since you want to be finicky

Content:

Equivalent:
adj. Equal in value; having the same meaning or result.
-----

It seems that (nameless) was a little careless however, and found a very incomplete definition. I thought I'd share some better ones with everyone:

Code:
e·quiv·a·lent (adj.)

a) Equal, as in value, force, or meaning.
   b) Having similar or identical effects.
 2. Being essentially equal, all things considered: a wish that was equivalent to a command.
 3. (Mathematics.)
   a) Capable of being put into a one-to-one relationship. Used of two sets.
   b) Having virtually identical or corresponding parts.
   c)Of or relating to corresponding elements under an equivalence relation.
 4. Chemistry. Having the same ability to combine.
 5. Logic. Having equivalence: equivalent propositions.

equivalent

\E*quiv"a*lent\, a. [L. aequivalens, -entis, p. pr. of aequivalere to have equal power; aequus equal + valere to be strong, be worth: cf. F. ['e]quivalent. See Equal, and Valiant.] 1. Equal in worth or value, force, power, effect, import, and the like; alike in significance and value; of the same import or meaning.

For now to serve and to minister, servile and ministerial, are terms equivalent. --South.

2. (Geom.) Equal in measure but not admitting of superposition; -- applied to magnitudes; as, a square may be equivalent to a triangle.

Thought for the day: How many nits could a nit-picker pick, if a nit-picker could pick nits?

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Thought for the day: How many nits could a nit-picker pick, if a nit-picker could pick nits?

Depends whose hair the monkey is picking.
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Lenny,

It's pretty dirty pool to air a private message publically. If you have a beef with someone, take it up privately, okay?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Lenny,

It's pretty dirty pool to air a private message publically. If you have a beef with someone, take it up privately, okay?

-Bolty

I do not consider this to be a private matter as it directly regards this forum and was sent via the forum software, which does not have a facility for being disabled.

I have methods for private communication, namely IM software and email. Any communication via those methods I treat as private. Information which is sent to me via a system where anyone with access to the software's database is anything but private.

-W.C. Fields