New Beta 1.10 Patch!
Anybody want to test a zoo keeper? Max skeleton, max mastery, max magis, 1 point CE, 1 point amp, 1 point lower resist in 4 players hell? I would but I'm afraid my necro would be neutered by 1.10a (he's pretty item dependant).
Fortunately, I was busy when patch 1.10s came out. I wonder what the "s" stands for, "Surprise!", or maybe something else, best left to the imagination. :S

Anyway, I was aware of the problems before I even downloaded it. I took the time to sort of figure out what was going on, and I kind of understand what they are trying to do. The description that Blizzard posted was typical of a company that treats their customers like the "s" in "1.10s". They SHOULD have said:

There is a totally new system for saving character's items. The system is not designed to transfer items from the first 1.10 Beta characters. If you load a character saved in 1.10 into 1.10s, the following items will be deleted:
-All Magic, Rare, Set, Unique, and Runeword items,
-All Runes,
-All Jewels, Rings, Amulets, and Charms (qualify as first condition),
-All potions that are held in a belt that gets deleted.

Items that will not be deleted:
-Non-Magic (White) items,
-Non-Magic Socketed items, as long as they do not contain Runes,
-Potions in inventory, in the first row of a belt, or held in a belt that will not be deleted,
-Gems, including those in socketed items that do not otherwise qualify for deletion,
-Gold
-Tomes and Scrolls of Identify and Town Portal
-Keys

The main thing to note is that almost everything "worthwhile" collected in 1.10 games will be deleted. There is no way to recover or convert those items within the game.

With that said, by upgrading from 1.10 to 1.10s, your characters will retain their experience and stats gained while playing 1.10.

Items that your characters had pre-1.10 (1.09 and down) can be recovered, or converted to 1.10s. You must load a character holding those items that was saved in 1.09. To save both the pre-1.10 items, and keep the character experience gained in 1.10, requires a few steps.
For example, assume I have a character that was at level 30 in 1.09, was converted to 1.10, and leveled up to 80 in 1.10. First, I must have a save of two versions of the character, a 1.09 save, and a 1.10 save. I load the 1.09 character in a 1.10s game, and transfer the items to a new mule. Then, load the 1.10 version of the character in a 1.10 game. Use the unsocket recipe to remove any runes or jewels from any socketed items that you want to keep (Hel + Scroll of TP), handy if you don't want to scrape up another 6-socket Hydra Bow. :) Finally, load that character in the 1.10s game, and transfer the 1.09 items back to it.

That would have been a bit nicer than "some legitimate 1.10 items will also end up being deleted". :S

Right now, I have 3 installations of the game on my system, and I'm working on transferring my characters & items as time allows. Hopefully, I won't completely lose interest in the silly game before I'm done. :)

-rcv-

Edit: Note, don't take these details as "gospel", I just dashed it off quickly and never verified at the time I wrote it up. At this time, I know that potions do NOT get deleted, even if the belt holding them goes.
>There is a totally new system for saving character's items. The system is
>not designed to transfer items from the first 1.10 Beta characters. If you
>load a character saved in 1.10 into 1.10s, the following items will be deleted:
>...
>-All potions that are held in a belt that gets deleted.

I had two-row belts deleted on both of my 1.10-only characters. Without
belts, both of the characters had their first row of potions. When I bought
new belts for them in 1.10s, the potions that were on the second row
showed up again.

Phylogen.
channel1,Aug 5 2003, 11:40 PM Wrote:-All potions that are held in a belt that gets deleted.
Actually the potions don't get deleted. Just equip a belt with at least as many rows as your old and see for yourself.

My runewords were left as superior/normal items with the same amount of sockets as before but empty.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I would indeed have prefered a more elaborate warning than "some items may be deleted". Yours is just about perfect. Maybe that's why they wouldn't have such a thing. :P

Unfortunately for me, all my characters were started in 1.1 and as such I can't employ the muling/conversion scheme you suggest. Right now, I'm considering using the cube mod to restore the equipment of the 1.1s chars as accurately as possible.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
My runewords were left as superior/normal items with the same amount of sockets as before but empty

Hmmm, that's interesting. Mine got totally deleted when I tried it. Maybe it depends on where the item came from.

I'll check it on a few other characters. Not worth wasting too much time checking out, though. This silly patch is going to waste more time already than I want to spend. :S

-rcv-
Quote:Maybe it depends on where the item came from.
That's probably it. If your socketed item was found in 1.09, then it will probably stay, but if found in 1.10, it will probably go poof.
I just checked the potions in a belt when upgraded to 1.10s.

If the belt gets deleted, the extra potions become "invisible". You can empty the potions out normally (drag them out from the first row), and they will all be there.

-rcv-
I installed the patch before finding out about the bad effects. My javazon, whom I created in 1.10 and is now level 78, was all but stripped bare of gear. I only played her single player, fully legit, but the only things she has left now are her (now empty) socketed shield and her 4-perfect topaz armor from her magic find gear.

I didn't back her up, I have no 1.09 version to revert back to... am I screwed? Is there a way to get her gear back? She'd be completely unplayable if her slvl 20 valk wasn't so darn powerful, but I have to replace almost every item... it'll be rough. I saw the bit about monsters no longer getting the effects of bosses and immediately installed it. Some of the numerous boss packs in Hell were getting ridiculous because of that, but my eagerness has screwed me :(
Hi,

I answered your question in a post further up this thread:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...=22377&linear=0

No, except for some minor inconvenience you are not screwed.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My take on the whole matter is that they were wanting people to playtest from the start instead of importing items, which made it very difficult to debug from a Q/A standpoint. Though I can't honestly defend a patch that effectively *erases* all the legit items you've obtained with characters. With the amount of hacked items on the realms, perhaps the only way to fix things is to wipe everyone's items and make everyone start from scratch. Unfortunately, that means the bad apples spoiled the game for legit players(but what else is new).
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.
Given such a detailed README, why would anyone want to download 1.10s knowing that all the "worthwhile" items will be deleted. Blizzard must have carefully chosen it's words so as not to discourage people from downloading it in the first place.

--T
Heh. I'm a network admin. I have copies of ALL my 1.09 chars. Always back up before patching, if you have things you don't want to lose!!
--Mav
I have one problem with the way Blizzard is doing the ladder items and i felt i should say something. I think ladder items should be able to be found in single player (so far i have heard that they cannot be).

If I'm wrong then... hey I'm wrong. But never being able to play a ladder character on single player and thus not getting to ever see the ladder items (unless you use a char editor or actually play ladder, which i could always do, albeit i find questing in nm and hell quite difficult) in single player is quite frustrating. Just my 2 cents. <_<
As I understand it, the only characters to whom ladder items are unavailable are characters on the realm that do not play on the Ladder, i.e. all characters on the realms right now. SP and open b.net were included in the "can find ladder items" definition.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"