Pirates of the Caribbean
If this movie doesn't satisfy your inner pirate, I don't know what will. I saw it last night and enjoyed the living ship out of it (hey, you can take away my expletives, but ya can't take my puns).

And when you see Johnny Depp, pirate charismatíque, you WILL wish you were a pirate wench.

So you know (too much already, neh) what I think...what'd you all think of it?

PS: Extremely minor spoiler:
Orlando Bloom does the best Johnny Depp impersonation at one point in the movie. If you're a Depp fan, you'll be tickled.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
The reason I want to see the movie is that it reminds me, and looks so much like how i would picture the RPG Seven Seas. I need more drama dice....
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Johnny Depp apparently modeled his character's personality, somewhat, on Kieth Richard of the Rolling Stones.

OK, if he did that, I simply must see it!

"Cos in sleep London Town there's just no place for
A Street Fightin' Man!"
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I have been looking foward to this movie. I hope I like it as much as you.
I wouldn't have said Keith Richards without the tipoff, but I sure can see it. Given what a spot-on job Depp did with Hunter S Thompson in Fear and Loathing, I wouldn't put any impression beyond Depp's talents.

The other cute thing is that he had most of his teeth actually replaced by a dentist with gold teeth for the movie. After seeing the result, the director wanted all but a few taken out, which is how it was shot. But five months after the movie finished shooting Johnny Depp still had the gold teeth AND crooked goatee in place.

Then again, for Fear and Loathing he wore Thompson's clothes (which are the clothes you see in the movie), drove his car, and did drugs with him, Benicio Del Toro and Terry Gilliam beforehand and for weeks.

For these reasons and others, people in my house refer to him, and refer ALWAYS to him as Johnny F*cking Depp. Among my film major roommates and friends, that IS his name. B)
... he's NOT the undead pirate!

Now THAT is what scares me.

Jester

(Good movie. Not excellent, but watching Johnny Depp eat every piece of scenery is entertaining and then some.)
I like what Johnny Depp does on screen. It might be due to his penchant for odd roles. My wife and I enjoyed immensely "The Legend of Don Juan DiMarco" with Depp and Marlon Brando. No FX, just a nicely told, if somewhat maudlin, story.
In Memory of Pete
How about that he's as charming as they come, just oozes charisma, and is one of the very most talented actors of his generation. He's probably my favorite actor for those reasons. Heck, Terry Gilliam said he thinks that Depp's performance in Fear and Loathing is the greatest performance by any actor ever.
Agreed, Occhi. I also liked him Sleepy Hollow. He has a knack for getting into the oddball roles, but does them well.
See you in Town,
-Z
NT = no text

Jester
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great action, humor and the visual effects were superb. Two thumbs up!
I even recognize that he tends to make each character slightly "over the top" or even a caricature of a person.

Whatever it is, it works for me.
In Memory of Pete
I even recognize that he tends to make each character slightly "over the top" and a caricature of a person.

Whatever it is, it works for me.
In Memory of Pete
and THANK GOD FOR THAT. Depp can actually stretch beyond the waning charm of a smile.

If it wasn't for Depp's "Jack Sparrow", the movie would have slipped into tedium within the first 20 minutes. Indeed, until the first scene of him with windblown hair and piercing gaze atop the mast only to slide down and reveal a sloop with a rapidly-filling hull, I wasn't impressed. It was Sparrow's presence I wanted on the screen... no one else's. Orlando Bloom, for all his "teen idol" hype, has a LONG way to go. His only moment of stretch for this film was his imitation of Depp's imitation of a pirate imitating Keith Richards; otherwise, he was Legolas with a scant goatee.

Humor and wit, subtle and overt, was held by Depp alone. From the well turned phrase to the blatant slapstick of getting smacked by every woman alive... I enjoyed it all.

Drink up, Yo Ho.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote:If it wasn't for Depp's "Jack Sparrow", the movie would have slipped into tedium within the first 20 minutes. Indeed, until the first scene of him with windblown hair and piercing gaze atop the mast only to slide down and reveal a sloop with a rapidly-filling hull, I wasn't impressed.
That is as much is to be intended. Prior to his arrival, all scenes beforehand were expository— the setting up of the story to be told. Sparrow's arrival sets forth certain motions that starts off the action of the film (though, technically, it was Elizabeth's plunge in to the water that beckoned the Black Pearl, but if Sparrow had not saved her, there need not be any kidnapping nor pursuit).

But all in all, it is agreed: Depp carried the film on his back.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Ignatz,Jul 10 2003, 11:20 AM Wrote:... And when you see Johnny Depp, pirate charismatíque, you WILL wish you were a pirate wench. ...
I'd rather be the pirate that the wenches run to after they decked Jack Sparrow, thank you very much.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Yaar! Don't make me walk ye plank. Ok, I'm not an expert at pirate speak. :P

The movie was fun; the were times when things with the intended purpose of making the audience laugh actualy made me laugh. It was not because everyone else was laughing. Other movies tend to try to hard, but in this case, the humor flowed well with the scene. I found the whole scene with the governor fighting with the evil skeletons amusing. There were a few clever things, and somewhat unpredictable and goofy escape scenes by Jack Sparrow. A bit too long, but it was well worth my money.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I was the kid that always told my dad i wonted to be a pirate when oi grew up!! LOL

There for i had to watch pirates of the caribbean just to compare it to all the othere pirate movies i have seen in my life and by far i fell that this one blew cutthroat island out of the water i admit cutthrought was gud but it was by far not as good as this movie

may the child im me live forever

Ironie i am now serving in the US Navy
they say be healthy live long hell with that ill day anyways ya got a beer and some steak

[Image: singnateure.gif]
As a favor to an old salt, could you in the future show the salt in your own veins some respect and lose the "chat speak?" We'd all appreciate it. :)

Forum Rules
Ettiquette

As for "Cutthroat Island," I'll offer the opinion that comparing "Cutthroat Island" to "Pirates of the Caribbean" is akin to comparing Bud Lite™ with Sam Adams™. You buy them both in a bar, but the competition just isn't fair. :)

While you're up, could you get me a bucket of steam and a container of relative bearing grease? After that, you've got the mail buoy watch, and I hear that someone caught a sea bat during last night's fantail watch. Oh, I hear "General Quarters " over the 1MC, I am off.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 16 2003, 12:35 PM Wrote:As a favor to an old salt
This Marine is starting to feel outnumbered. ;)

/off topic from Tal :D