The Lounge Has Been Throttled
Quote:Dear Website Administrator,

Your website, lurkerlounge.com, is identified as causing a negative effect on the server
performance.  Although we do not monitor bandwidth directly, the log files generated by your site show an
overuse of system resources.  We understand that there are spikes in traffic and server use,
however we have a commitment to all of the clients on this shared server to ensure that they do not
experience service interruptions due to one site's server use.

As stated in our Terms of Service, your site is no longer eligible to be hosted as an unmetered
bandwidth plan.

http://www.nexpoint.net/company/policies/tos.cfm

Unmetered Bandwidth - implies that the data transfer is not charged on a metered basis so long as
it remains within reasonable expectations. Nexpoint Technologies, Inc. considers if any web site
jeopardizes the security or system resources of our servers then we must limit their bandwidth as
outlined in this Agreement

Based on your current usage (Bolty: over 40 gigabytes a month - *blush*), you will need to upgrade your
plan to an Enterprise account.  The Enterprise account includes 40GB of monthly transfer each month,
and access to up to 10% of the system resources.  The billing rate for additional bandwidth used
each month is $4 / GB.  You will be allowed an additional 500mb of web space for a total of 1
Gigabyte, and a 100mb MSSQL database. 

If you prefer to have full control of your site administration and unlimited use of the server
resources, we also have dedicated servers available.  A dedicated server may be well suited for your
needs because the download speed from your site would not be affected by other sites on the
server. You can browse all of our dedicated plans at http://www.nexpoint.net/products/dedicated/

We regret to inform you that the Network Operations Center will be required to limit your site's
server resource use if action is not taken by Friday June 28th 2003.   Additionally, they may be
forced to place restrictions on the number and speed of connections to your site in order to
maintain the stability of the server, which may result in errors that are visible to your site's
visitors.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your cooperation.

Okay, folks. Time for a new host (because this plan costs too much for it's "features" - there's better out there). I'm looking at Globat's Commerce Pro plan longingly, but if anyone can help with my search I'd appreciate it.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I was going to suggest Powweb but they're twenty-seven cents more a month and don't offer as much space or transfer as Globat. Powweb does have a 99.7% uptime as a positive. (Powweb is what my server and Yeggs.net uses. ;))
Bolty, does this mean that we will have to register yet again?? I like that I am member #6 :ph34r:

Edit: Which service would you go with??
**Paul**
I will make weapons from your bones--Smith
"I am pond scum"--Bull Shannon from Night Court
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
Well, you're not even close to what you used to run back in the LOD beta/1.08 times. IIRC, you used to pull, between the two servers, about 4 GB/day, or about 120 GB/month! Good luck in your search!
--Mav
That might explain some of the "Server" issues the LL's been having of late. Wonderful.

Globat's is probably one of the more equitable solutions you could find, Bolty. At least you wouldn't have to deal with the Bandwidth issues anymore with the ceiling provided. And hey... a free Harry Potter. Can't beat that.

*digs out wallet and heads over to the Donate link*

It's times like these when a person has to put their money where their mouth is. Alas... I have a big mouth...
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
The difference looks like you must have paid for the next year already :S

We got the same garbage tossed at TTC early this month, before the next year's payment was due. It was a bit timely, we had one 60 hour period where we transferred 30 gig just from the downloads, I never checked what the rest of the transfer was. I guess I was responsible for another couple of gig transfer, between updating downloads, backing up the site while waiting for the plug to be pulled, and general admin stuff.

We're in the process of looking for a temporary host while setting up a dedicated server.

Hmmm, wanna split a server, Bolty? We were neighbours on Nexpoint anyway. :) (Seriously, this might not be a bad idea- we are over halfway to the dedicated server).

-rcv-
Mavfin,Jun 26 2003, 07:08 PM Wrote:IIRC, you used to pull, between the two servers, about 4 GB/day, or about 120 GB/month!
That's why the 100GB/month deal pleases me - it gives the Lounge some room to grow from here if the need arises. You should *always* buy more than you need, because the tacked-on price-per-gigabyte rates past your limit that most hosting companies charge are sick.

Notice how Nexpoint is only giving me 2 days to upgrade, knowing that's not nearly enough time to get set up somewhere else. There will thus be an ugly interim period between two hosts.

Also, no Deadlyman, you will not need to reregister - this forum is on a MySQL database, and I can take a database dump and shove it to a new host - users, posts, layouts, skins, and all. In theory. :) My experience is with Oracle databases, however, so it'll be a learning experience for me. The impact you'll see as an end user is that you probably won't be able to post anything for 2 to 3 days as the domain transfers over, depending on when your ISP picks up the new DNS pointer.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Actually, I'm an idiot - I can get Globat's Gigabyte package for now, waive the setup fee, and then just upgrade it later as the Lounge needs it. Save a bunch of dough that way. With the price they're sporting (a sick $7 a month for 1 gig of space, 1000 email accounts, 50GB transfer a month, unlimited MySQL room for this forum) it would be nuts not to take advantage.

Their deal ends tomorrow, so unless someone posts here revealing that Globat stinks royally or there's an even better deal, I'll be signing up and looking into transferring things this weekend...

-Bolty
Reporting in as another wallet... I just got paid today. ^_^

"Anything you need, I can likely provide, I assure you..."
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Where is the "donate" link?

And is there any money problems in the foreseeable future? Last time I remember hearing anything about money is when the site re-opened. If I remember right, it seemed things were fine.
*hugs the LL and waits in the corner in the fetal position until the new server is set up*

:ph34r:

...and you just KNOW that 1.10 will be released this weekend :P
I Demand Pie.
Good luck with the transfer, sounds like you have a long weekend ahead of you. For my website I use Purdue's webspace, but I don't think you can use only 1G of space :blink: :P
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Hi,

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/donate.shtml

And, while it is doing OK, all expenses haven't been covered. Just my opinion, but seeing as how Bolty (and mods) is putting in the time, I feel that they shouldn't be asked to put in the bucks too.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Checkbook at the ready, sar!

Maybe some downtime will force Bliz to obey Murphy's Law and release 1.10. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
channel1,Jun 26 2003, 07:30 PM Wrote:We're in the process of looking for a temporary host while setting up a dedicated server.

Hmmm, wanna split a server, Bolty?  We were neighbours on Nexpoint anyway. :) (Seriously, this might not be a bad idea- we are over halfway to the dedicated server).
Bugs, I'm not in it that deep - the Lounge has always shunned being a "download center" for this very reason. The one time I made a mistake and put a 10 meg download up, it trashed Mavfin's server. Learned my lesson then.

TTC is very heavy on the downloads and bandwidth-sucking toys and addons. You may need a dedicated, unfortunately - but you're going to be losing a lot of money doing that.

Maybe you can talk to Gamespy and they'll absorb you - your site can become PlanetToontown.com. They'll take on all the hosting and you'll have unlimited bandwidth...

-Bolty
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 26 2003, 06:10 PM Wrote:It's times like these when a person has to put their money where their mouth is.  Alas... I have a big mouth...
:lol:
*laughs all the way to his checkbook*
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
Bolty: Maybe you can talk to Gamespy and they'll absorb you - your site can become PlanetToontown.com. They'll take on all the hosting and you'll have unlimited bandwidth...

Eek! A fate worse than death! We'll do that when the Lurker Lounge moves over to Geocities. :)
Those guys approached us some time ago with an offer. Nick told them to shove off. I would split if TTC ever went that way.

A lot of the suckage to bandwidth on TTC is images. We are a lot bigger on screenshots & stuff than the LL, and the kiddies love that kind of stuff. Kind of like the LL's SSTSI on steroids.

We have also had a number of folks doing Toontown movies. We sucked serious transfer when the new E3 trailer came out, along with 2 new member movies on the same day. Over 1,000 downloads between 3 files in 3 days.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fuzzy nose outta the "business" aspects of the site. I'm enjoying the time off from admin duties, I guess it was time for a vacation. If there are any Lurker Toons that see this that need the link to the temporary forums, they can PM me.

Good luck this weekend, Bolty. I hope the only fireworks are in the air, and not from servers blowing up. :)

-rcv-
Kid Bugs
Well, we're on the new host now. Is it just me or is this faster by a little bit?

Working the kinks out, including the old cgi scripts. If you see *anything* working funny, please let me know.

-Bolty
Faster for me... Whee!!!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Argh, I wish I would have read this sooner as it seems you have already switched to a new host. Anyway, did you end up going with globat.com? I have heard quite a few problems with globat spamming their costumers. I heard about this over at http://www.webhostingtalk.com . It's actually gotten to the point where web hosting talk has bleeped out globat.com (i.e. ******.com).

Then again, I haven't heard terrible things about their hosting -- just the whole spam thing. So hopefully it won't be a big deal. I have also read (on webhostingtalk.com) about some people making a little progress on eliminating the spam by argueing to globat's host servers (http://www.mzimanetworks.com/). Who knows, perhaps the problem has been solved and it is now a non-issue (we can only hope).