music that made you cry
gaidensensei,Jun 22 2003, 05:44 AM Wrote:Well, not exactly made me cry, but it did make me think of the past and things that've happened before..  Almost always while driving.

It's an all around favorite instrumental/orchestral song that I always listen to every once and awhile that is from one of my favorite RPG's of all time: Final Fantasy VII. 

The soundtrack is labeled as Aeris's Theme (or Aerith for those who prefer to call her that way) or Aeris' Death.  The composer is Nobuo Uematsu.
It's on CD3, track #19, on mine. 

Try it.
I just ran a search on my harddrive, and I have 8 different versions of the Aeris' death. I could've sworn I had more.

"IMO" this song is the embodiment of the Final Fantasy-series; almost as much as the main theme. (which also is beautiful.)

Now playing in winamp:
ff7_-_aeris_theme_reborn.mp3

(reborn is an arrangement, it has nothing to do with Aeris' character.)

The arrangement is piano mostly with a slight echo. I also seem to remember there are some invented stuff in the end - some very impressive piece of piano-playing going on there.

edit: I guess I was wrong. There were no invented parts in the end. I guess I have to try this one then:

ff7__aeris_theme_reborn_version_2.mp3

edit#2:
I was right. This is definitely the one where the pianist makes things a hell of a lot more complicated than need-be :P

edit#3: (this is getting tiresome)
Ok, so it wasn't the last one either, but rather this one:
ff7_-_main_theme_reborn.mp3
(I think.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Classical music.... I prefer Summer Sanitarium. :D
OrpheusPrime,Jun 22 2003, 11:33 PM Wrote:Classical music.... I prefer Summer Sanitarium. :D
Wasn't that the name of one of Metallica's tours?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Yep.
Unearthing an ancient thread here...

"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam is a favorite of mine if we're talking sappy songs.

Final Fantasy VII's music, in general, is very melancholy and good for reflecting on the past - Aeris' theme, of course, is the favorite pick. The Nibelheim theme, Cosmo Canyon theme, and Red XIII theme are also very good. For happy-time music, the Highwind theme is great!
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone prepare to cringe....

Ready...

Ebudae by Enya...

But only when accompanied by the episode of Northern Exposure in which I first heard it (a too-soon-gone quirky show about life in a small Alaska town where one of the highlights of each year was the mass streak by all the male residents of the town and surrounding area).

Ed, the local DJ, spent the whole episode running around town stealing every light source and extension cord he could find - christmas lights, chinese lanterns, barber pole, etc. Exactly at the winter solstice, he gathered the whole town and threw the switch illuminating a large area of town filled with all his acquired items. As he did, that song began playing and it was a fantastic puncuation to the thought of bringing lightness to the dark and bringing feuding friends back together.

The next day, I called the local TV station and said "On last nights Northern Exposure..." and got that far when the operator said "Ebudae by Enya". The switchboard had been flooded with calls asking the same question. B)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 9 2003, 12:43 AM Wrote:But only when accompanied by the episode of Northern Exposure in which I first heard it (a too-soon-gone quirky show about life in a small Alaska town where one of the highlights of each year was the mass streak by all the male residents of the town and surrounding area).
Northern Exposure was a great show. I miss it.
Unearthing an ancient thread here...

It's.... alive!

"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam is a favorite of mine if we're talking sappy songs.

I really like that song a lot. I don't get too emotionally invested in it though.

The only song I can remember sobbing from was Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" (which Van mentioned earlier in this thread). A few of the songs from Les Miserables probably would do it to, if I had listened to them under similarly sad cirumstances. Since you mentioned Final Fantasy music, the song Celes sings in the opera scene of FF3 (U.S.) is pretty powerful in the melancholy department too.
Hail Nystul,

I'm with you on Les Miserables....

The year my father died, I went to London with my mother for Christmas... we didn't want to suffer the first christmas alone at home, in familiar surroundings.

Went to a performance of Les Miserables there... overwhelming, tears flowing freely here... it just reminded me of my father so much, also, quite like Valjeans, a silent hero...

Most of the time when I listen to it, I still can't hold back tears, though it's a good six years now.

In addition to that, quite a few Simon and Garfunkel songs send shivers down my spine... especially "Sound of Silence" and "Scarborough Fair"...

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
i've always been a sucker for the romantic...

don't want to close my eyes,
don't want to fall asleep,
because I'd miss you babe.. and I don't want to miss a thing..

just that bit has me a little blurry...
The wind has no destination.
Heh, no music has made my eyes watery (yet), but there're a couple of pieces that do put shivers in my Spine (one cheesy, the other quite OK I think):

-Cheesy: "Taiyo no fune sol bianca" from the Anime "Sol Bianca" (I'm not sure of the title since I don't have the CD around here right now). It's fully instrumental, and indeed cheesy, but what can I say :lol:

-Non-cheesy: Rimsky-Korsakov's Sherezade.

Last time I had one of those "what's wrong with you fool it's only a TV show" moments was when I was watching the ending of the Saber Marionette J series. It was quite funny at the time because some of my friends were watching it with me and having a bit of a laugh (which I was too due to the sillyness of the situation, but I couldn't help myself :lol:).
I saw Les Miserables. Yes, that was a tear-jerker, but a great musical nonetheless.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Duckula Wrote:Anybody have any similar experiences they want to share?

Actually I have, allthough one of my strongest experiences was probably trivial compared to yours:

I've been a long-time fan of Elton John. My mother bought me a tape (The Very Best of) when I was six years old, and his music have been with me ever since. Two years ago EJ released a live greatest hits album, which contained one of my all time favourites: I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues, featuring Mary J. Blige in a duet with EJ.

This combination was just incredible. Mary J. Blige preform the song as if she had written the words herself, and what an incredible voice! I still can't hear this song without getting chills down my back and tears in my eyes.
[Image: 1.png]
This post does not exist.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
I've never actually cried to a song, but there is one artist whose songs always manage to stir my emotions, Stan Rogers. I use a verse from one of his songs on almost every forums I belong to.

Stan was born in Ontario but his family was from Halifax and he lived there quite a while. So here I am, I was born in Halifax but my family moved when I was about 13 months old. I'm very proud of being from Halifax and anytime I wish I could go there I just slap on a Stan Rogers CD :) . Most of my family lives in the Maritimes, so every summer I take a visit to the Atlantic Provinces and never forget to stop by Halifax for a few days.
But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted.
They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted."
But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall,
And her lover's gone into a white squall.
Quote:A Beautiful Mind - The score is by James Horner, and the song "All Love Can Be" is performed by Charlotte Church

Charlotte Church's rendition of Ave Maria brought me to tears this weekend, but then again I've had a good reason.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Cannon in D is a great work, Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps played it this past summer as part of their show. They are known for classical shows, pulling out various symphonic music to march to.

Something that brings me to tears is Phantom Regiment's version of Amazing Grace, as well as the top 12 drum corps each summer lined up covering the football field, playing American / O'Canada... over 1000 brass players!

and i'll second that New World Symphony is great too (which was also adapted for a drum corps show)

The Aftermath by Iron Maiden and McClean's American Pie are also bring a sad feeling...
soccerguy315,Dec 11 2003, 06:34 PM Wrote:Cannon in D is a great work, Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps played it this past summer as part of their show.  They are known for classical shows, pulling out various symphonic music to march to.

Something that brings me to tears is Phantom Regiment's version of Amazing Grace, as well as the top 12 drum corps each summer lined up covering the football field, playing American / O'Canada... over 1000 brass players!

and i'll second that New World Symphony is great too (which was also adapted for a drum corps show)

The Aftermath by Iron Maiden and McClean's American Pie are also bring a sad feeling...
Iron Maiden has a decent variety of songs. Out of their emotional songs, I enjoy "Hallowed By Thy Name" the most.

American Pie is great as well.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Along with the others who have mentioned it, I find Barber's Adagio incredibly powerful. There is a choral arrangement - the Agnus Dei - that has moved me to tears. (My recording is by the Dale Warland singers, I think.)

Here's a story involving a different adagio:

http://www.actlab.utexas.edu/~captain/cello.story.html (Vedran Smilovic)

Being a harp player, myself, I'm afraid my tastes in music are a bit skewed, now. Love the harp and cello together, but there are so few recordings. Harps are "pretty", but a cello can be so gorgeously mournful.

You Metallica fans should check out one of the Apocalyptica albums. Four cellists from the Sibelius Institute covering the music of Metallica and Pantera. (Though personally, I wish they'd done "Fade to Black" differently - it should have opened with something more analogous to that sweet, flowing guitar part.)

While I still like hard rock as workout music, for listening nowadays - with just a couple exceptions - I prefer to hear "real" instruments as opposed to electric ones. I'm also getting better at appreciating the silences as well as the sounds.

Occasionally, I toy with the idea of writing a play timed such that William Jackson's "A Scottish Island" makes a perfect soundtrack.

-- CH
(It's a pity that so much of what I seek can no longer be found.)
CelticHound,Dec 11 2003, 10:59 PM Wrote:You Metallica fans should check out one of the Apocalyptica albums.  Four cellists from the Sibelius Institute covering the music of Metallica and Pantera.  (Though personally, I wish they'd done "Fade to Black" differently - it should have opened with something more analogous to that sweet, flowing guitar part.)
Apocalyptica is outstanding. I mentioned them in my first post of this thread. Their first album is all Metallica covers, which sound terrific. Their second album, Inquisition Symphony, is also terrific, and that is where "Harmageddon" comes from. They cover other bands as well. For Inquisition Symphony, they cover Faith No More and Sepultra in addition to Metallica and Pantera. I have not had a chance to listen to their other albums yet, but I look forward to them.
-scrape
degrak.com
degrak youtube