music that made you cry
Ya,

Enya has probably the most.. hmmm.. angelic(??) voice I've ever heard. I have "Storms in Africa" (name?) and the song "On Your Shore" makes me feel.. hmmm.. heavenly? I'm a guy, I have trouble describing some of my emotions.

Anyway, her "haunting" songs are the ones that I like, whilst the more active ones I find ... hmmm... less divine.

Something that I find disappointing is that she is categorized as "New Age", but I think she transcends (heh) the label.

Van
"Wild Child" is a definate staple in my Enya diet. When all around me is cascading into the abyss, that song centers me and transports me to a place where I can cope with everything else.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Oh thanks kandrathe! <_<

Nothing like spending my money for me. Your post cost me $27 because it pointed out that there was some Enya I didn't have. :(

Oh well, I'm sure I'll forgive you once my purchase shows up on my doorstep and I can slide that unit in. B)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I bought Apocalyptica - Reflections a couple of weeks back. I never flip past a single track on that album!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
$27 for a slice of heaven in my book is not that bad a trade, especially when it is something you can savor whenever you'd like.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

This version is especially poignant. It shows the beauty that talented individuals can attain when they put a lot of effort into it.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/burgerking.html
Touching, indeed! ;-)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Vandiablo,Dec 21 2003, 09:43 AM Wrote:This version is especially poignant. It shows the beauty that talented individuals can attain when they put a lot of effort into it.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/burgerking.html
I just saw an episode of ER where someone sang that song. What's the name of the original?
PJ Harvey - While some other artists have one or two which are sobby, all hers are - and if not that then at least heart warming or joy filling.

Recommended listening:

* Horses in my dreams
* Sweeter than anything
* This mess we're in - The only duet IMO which can be defined as duet, and not just "two singers which variate singing the lyrics and sing sometimes together"
* Living in the sun - just listening to it, sends shivers down ma' spine.
* Rope bridge crossing

Madonna - which I suppose is as bad liking as LotR disliking. Compared to Enya, most of hers just sound like romantic cheeze, or might sound good once or twice, then get boring. No depth to it.

Ray of light has the majority of the best ones anyhow: Substitute for love, Swim, Candy perfume girl, Skin, Frozen, To have and not to hold.
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 21 2003, 03:21 PM] I just saw an episode of ER where someone sang that song. What's the name of the original?
You mean of "Carol of the Bells"? I've also heard it referred to as "The Ukrainian Bell Carol".

Now I need to go through my music collection. I must have a good perfomance of it somewhere.

Just realized that there's no mention of Tori Amos on this thread anywhere. Her old "girl and a piano" albums, Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink have some serious stuff. (Or pretentious stuff, depending on your point of view, but that's half the fun.)

Also no mention of Loreena McKennitt. Now there's a voice! (And just a lot of talent, in general.) I know at least one review of Parallel Dreams singled out the song "Dickens' Dublin (The Palace)" as being "twee", but still it's can bring me tears. And I'll recommend her work to all the neo-pagans on the Lounge... (Though as far as I know she's spiritual without embracing any defined religious path.) It's a pity, you can't get a recording of the original mix of "The Old Ways" any more. The post-Warner-Bros. version with the extra electric guitar, doesn't have the same nuance.

-- CH
Madonna has some interesting songs. My two favorites, both of which are somewhat melodramatic, are "Like a Prayer" and "Power of Goodbye."
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
(incredibly drunk)

I also love "the power of good-bye".

(the less said the better)
Just saw Donnie Darko, and shed some tears at the end. It wasn't so much the film at the time, so I attribute mainly to the end score - Mad World by Gary Jules.

Quote:And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had

That kind of explains the ending.

Oh and Madonna again - Music has a couple good tracks - Impressive Instant, Amazing, Runaway Lover, Paradise (Not For Me).

Sorry about nagging about her, her music seems to missunderstood. Same goes for Lauryn Hill - the only thing I've heard from people (stupid teens . . .) is that the music before "the miseducation of" was better. Blah. Both have an amazing voice and song-writing skills.

As for angelic, I'd say the girl in Cranberries,Faithless, Lauryn Hill.
I can't thank you enough for the disc you sent me. Her rendition of the Highwayman still makes my throat, at which there is no bunch of lace, get thick as the song/poem comes to the end.

Annie Lennox brought tears to my eyes with that "Into The West" but my knowledge of the stories Tolkein wrote was a catalyst to that.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
If you really want music that grabs u by ur throath and fills ur heart, I know the perfect band.
Sigur ros
its a band from Iceland and its really calming and very emotional, they are becoming more and more famous, they played with radiohead and their music was used in the film "vanilla sky" the song in the end on top of the skyscraper is from sigur ros. just listen to them and u will feel great and it will change ur life completely.
Hannya
Count Duckula:
Quote:Emotional movie: the Dead Poets Society leaves me in tears every single time I watch it. I try and see it just about every month. If a movie sucks me in, I'll cry.

Gakerd:
Quote:I have always wanted (and still do) to see that movie. Hopefully I will soon get an opportunity to watch it.

I recently had that opportunity and acted upon it. The movie was enthralling.

When John Keating first talked of carpe diem early on in the film, it somewhat brought me back to one of the English classes I took years ago. At the time, we were discussing "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell and how it fits in with the idea of seizing the day.

I certainly enjoyed the movie.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Glad you liked it - my old harp teacher performed the harp tracks.

-- CH
Most recently I have listened to the scoring done by Brian Tyler for the movie Bubba Ho-Tep, and it quite nearly fits the described query of this thread's title (I just don't cry because my cojones are fully functional, thank you very much. You pansy girls).

It's certainly not a downer of a melody, but a whistful one that is filled with the pang of homesickness and lost regret. Taking into account the themes of the movie, the music underscores that struggle between the Death of Hope and the Hope beyond Death.

Which is not bad, considering that I can describe the movie as "...the story of Elvis joining forces with JFK to combat an ancient supernatural evil..." and not be cast a liar. Much like how Donnie Darko is a movie "...about a dead guy in a rabbit suit who travels back in time to deliver portents of doom to a psychologically-disturbed suburbanite teen." Blurbs can be so mis-leading. Especially if you deliberately craft them so. ;)
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
adamantine,Dec 25 2003, 11:14 PM Wrote:Just saw Donnie Darko, and shed some tears at the end. It wasn't so much the film at the time, so I attribute mainly to the end score - Mad World by Gary Jules.
I'd just like to mention that Mad World was originally done by Tears For Fears. Their version is more upbeat, but is still haunting. Gary Jules' version strikes an emotional chord as well, especially when watching the end of Donnie Darko.

A few other tracks that give me a sense of sadness inside:

Dream Theatre - A Change of Seasons
REM - Drive
From Autumn To Ashes - Short Stories With Tragic Endings
Pearl Jam - Black
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
What a coincidence, I was just listenening to ACOS!

Eerie :huh:

It's probably one of my favourite Dream Theater songs. It's grande, not just in size, but in "epicity" (if that was ever a word.) The song embodies life itself.

"I sit down with my son, set to see the crimson sunset."