Judgement Day II: 112,000 Accounts Closed
I hadn't read your reply before I posted mine to the closed maphack thread, but you pretty much said everything I said, only with more detail. Thanks. :)

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Thanks for the compliments! You are definitely welcome. :)
-TheDragoon
Jugalator,Jun 10 2003, 08:05 AM Wrote:Yes, I *tried* reading through an entire thread where people with no clue about the source code of maphack "knew" exactly how it worked and Blizzard MUST only be guessing when banning, and other guys spamming "mwahahha loooosers ur just sad u lost ur accts haahah"...

Both sides yelling to deaf ears, etc

So I stopped before my IQ would drop *too* much. After all, I need to do some work, and it will come in handy. :)

Man, what a hell-hole the official forums must be for GFraizer. I applaud his patience with those whiners. :)
Fine. So in all seriousness, please tell us (or at least me)WHY and HOW maphack is detectable when used only client-side--meaning NOT using any of the stuff located inside the EDIT CONFIG menu--and WHY I as a dedicated Hardcore PvM player who enjoys meeting new peeps in pubby games should allow trigger-hackers and drop-hackers to kill all my chars, when I can use MH's "Chicken" to prevent it? I'm genuinely curious... :P

EDIT: OMG don't get mad at me, boys. :blink: I only started using MH when trigger-hack PKing became commonplace in HC a few months ago. This is my first post here, and me and my hubby are rabid D2 peeps and I don't want anyone hating me or anything just for trying to keep my chars alive while NOT giving up public games, which most everyone I know already has... :(
TheDragoon,Jun 11 2003, 04:35 AM Wrote:Thanks for the compliments!  You are definitely welcome.  :)
OMG it's you!! THE DRAGOON! My hubby loves your Druid guides and has them both bookmarked!! B)

Wow! Wait'll I tell him I found the site where you post! He's a rabid Hardcore player (like me!!), and has like 7-8 HC Druids on US WEST closed realm, including a 99 MF Druid (Fury Wolf with a maxed Grizzly, heh).

Like dii.net's fenriswulf, you're sort of a hero to my druid-crazy hubby.... ;)
Hail Tiffany Scott,

If your post means that you use maphack - then it won't be long until someone cuts/pastes the forum rules and the FAQ to you and you will realize that this is an anti-cheater+anti-hacker+anti-duper+anti-rusher forum. (different opinions on rushing, though)

I don't want to be whipping the trout this time, but these things are just cheesy.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I dont think anyone knows that for sure except Blizzard and I'm fairly certin that they wont be telling us how, otherwise it would be giving a heads up to the authors of those hacks as to how to prevent the program or hack or whatever from being seen.

and the reason you should not use a hack is weather you agree with it or not you are supporting them (the hackers and whatnots) the second you click the mouse button to download them.

And sadly the only way to avoid cheaters is to play private games, which with places like the lurker lounge its not to hard to find a good groop of like minded individules to play with.

hope that helps.

EDIT:

also here is a Diablo II Account Closing Q&A that GFraizer posted on the d2 forums. http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?F...=100#post199855

Will I get my account back?
No. Accounts taken for hacking will not be returned. All items on those characters were all destroyed and also will not be returned.

Did you make any mistakes?
We always investigate claims of innocence, however, we have yet to see any mistakes. When you see forum posts about someone who you might believe is innocent, we investigate and find their claims are false. Now we could come out and confirm that with every post, but that's not really necessary. The people who are posting know they were caught and why they were caught.

What about people saying they were legit?
What else are cheaters going to say? They only have a few options, from accepting that they were caught and did wrong, to lying about it and trying whatever they can to get their account back. If a person is willing to cheat, lying goes hand-in-hand.

Can you really detect map hackers?
Yes. You've been warned. If you are using this hack, stop now. Again, you've been warned.

Why didn't you catch everyone?
112,000 is a LOT of people/accounts. Please be thankful for this hard work to support the Diablo II community. Please also remember that we do plan on addressing hacked items further and that Diablo II 1.10 will have new anti-cheat code.

What about hacked items?
See answer to above question.

You got me but what about all these other people that do X?
Worry about yourself and your own actions. The issue is that you were caught cheating, not that someone else did whatever.

Summary
We're up to 243,000 accounts shut down for hacking/cheating. Please don't be one of them. Don't use hacks. Don't use cheats. Don't use 3rd party programs.

Congrats to everyone who has not cheated! Horray for legit gamers!
Signatures suck
sorry for posting again but this is too funny.

The day has come,
The accounts are gone,
Many people saying
“I did no wrong.”

“I did not cheat!”
“I did not hack!”
“Come on Blizzard,
give my account back!”

“I worked so hard,
to get all that stuff”,
but in the end,
Blizzard had enough.

They ignored the whines,
They ignored the cries,
because they knew,
they were all lies.

“You wouldn’t stop cheating,
what could we do?
You can blame yourself,
we warned you!”

“Sorry for your loss,
but we just don’t care.
We feel that the punishment,
was justifiably fair.”

“But I need my account,
I’m getting bored.”
“Too bad”, Bliz said,
“It wont be restored!”

“The next round is soon,
it’s already planned.
Stop cheating now,
or you will be banned!”

Gfraizer said,
with a smirk on his face,
“So long you cheaters,
you’re such a disgrace!”

-Digler

found that in the d2 forums also
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?F...t=32#post203701
Signatures suck
Fragbait,Jun 11 2003, 07:38 AM Wrote:Hail Tiffany Scott,

If your post means that you use maphack - then it won't be long until someone cuts/pastes the forum rules and the FAQ to you and you will realize that this is an anti-cheater+anti-hacker+anti-duper+anti-rusher forum. (different opinions on rushing, though)

I don't want to be whipping the trout this time, but these things are just cheesy.

Greetings, Fragbait
Alright. :huh: I just hope you guys won't get all elitist on me and act like I'm this horrible person because I love pubby games and yet don't wanna see all my chars murdered just cuz I refuse to hide away ONLY in private games like all my friends (and even my hubby, USUALLY!!) are doing right now... :(

My hubby's gotten to where he POSTS about D2 more than he plays it. Whereas I like to play more than post, myself... which is why i let him pretty much monopolize diabloii.net, cuz that site is so godawful huge and popular and stuffed to the brim with info that I can barely READ all I want to, much less reply to everything!!! I like smaller, cozy sites like this one, which i've heard about but never found till I finally did a google search recently heh... :blink:

I think fenriswulf is cute and funny, and I've seen juggy there before (over at dii.net I mean), but now that I found THIS place I hope I won't get rejected out of hand just cuz I'm waiting till 1.10 to give up on MH in pubby games...
Quote:Originally posted by Mrs. Tiffany_Scott
I think fenriswulf is cute and funny...
*blushes*

EDIT: Just a short comment on the Maphack issue, so that I don't get accused of too much spammage. :blink: I have fewer serious problems with Maphack as used for protection against Drophack, because at least that's an understandable reason. It does not, however, mean that it's necessarily a good one! I would fervently suggest that you try to put aside Maphack, and get involved with communities of gamers like the ones here, or at the Amazon Basin (http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/), where you would not need the Drop/Trigger blocking. I'm positive that you're competent enough to get by without the revealed minimap, and it really is a better way to play! Really! :) For our sakes, so that we can keep the pleasure of your posting here, please check it out. Gogo gadget Player Matchup forums!
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Tiffany_Scott,Jun 11 2003, 08:09 AM Wrote:Fine. So in all seriousness, please tell us (or at least me)WHY and HOW maphack is detectable when used only client-side--meaning NOT using any of the stuff located inside the EDIT CONFIG menu--and WHY I as a dedicated Hardcore PvM player who enjoys meeting new peeps in pubby games should allow trigger-hackers and drop-hackers to kill all my chars, when I can use MH's "Chicken" to prevent it? I'm genuinely curious...  :P
I don't know how maphack is detectable and I don't think Blizzard cares if you use it to prevent trigger hacks, reveal the map, make Diablo able to toast bread for you, give you a happier christmas, or whatever. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think Blizzard believe maphack is this: a third party software that alters gameplay. Hence, it's in violation of Section 4(A) of the Battle.net ToS. (hehe, I recently read it through for another reason... that's why I can sound like a cool lawyer :lol:)

If one of its features is to prevent another hack, that doesn't make the entire utility comply with the Terms of Service, even if that feature would (which I'm not even sure of).

I can only give FenrisWulf's advice to use the player matchup forum and get to know the people here and on The Amazon Basin (not only for Amazon's ;)). I think that option would be much better than playing in public hardcore games with anti-drophacks.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Occhidiangela,Jun 10 2003, 05:02 PM Wrote:So Blizz can find Map Hack users and do something about them?&nbsp; Interesting.&nbsp; I wonder if the clever folks in the hacking community will discover how they do it and find ways to counter Blizz' methods.

I will bet the over on that one.&nbsp; :P
I also think it's very interesting that Blizzard seem to have a way, a good way even (otherwise I don't think they'd dare to make these bold statements), to detect maphack. I thought it was completely client-side? But of course, I've only browsed the C code for an old version of maphack and if a new feature has been added lately that can be used for detection, that could be an explanation. But I don't think it's obvious what Blizzard is going after, judging by maphack's set of features.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
MUWHAHAHAHA !!!! I expect many of my friends to be deleted as well, which I really don't mind..
A good laugh for me since I'm still one of those "TRUE Believers" who's still 100% legit, hacks make games less fun in coop too you know. :lol: (had mh for 1 day,deleted it the next due lameness)
Jugalator,Jun 11 2003, 11:08 AM Wrote:I can only give FenrisWulf's advice to use the player matchup forum and get to know the people here and on The Amazon Basin (not only for Amazon's ;)). I think that option would be much better than playing in public hardcore games with anti-drophacks.
This Amazon Basin thing sounds right up my alley!!! :D I'll go check it out when I have the time!!! ;) Thanks Juggy!! :D
My opinion on Maphack-

I don't use it
I don't care whoever uses it
I don't care if your dog uses it
I don't care if you use it to prevent trigger hacks
I won't leave the game unless you let me know or annoy the hell out of me. Like "This way!" "This way!"

Maphack and I have nothing to do with each other

I do care if you use it to scoll-pk others
I do care if you whine about your account deleted forusing maphack.
I do care if you deny that it is a cheat.

The trouble is there's no way to tell if you're using it to make toast, drop-protection, or scroll-hack. Thus, you have to pay if Blizzard decides you should be banned. essentilay it's just about owing up to your actions. Everything else is between you and Blizzard.

And no, I don't consider people who use maphack to be evil. They are cheating which is a bad thing. However, considering the fact that some consider me an evil person because I twink and use d2 accelerator, one must not be that quick to throw stones.

Of course, those of you who use drop hacks, bots, and other nasties, please die. Maybe not die, but hurt yourselves. :)

That is all. I wish all discussion on maphack would fly out the window now.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hmm... I expect many of my friends to lose accounts as well. It's ok, I can start playing with them again. :P
Tiffany_Scott,Jun 11 2003, 03:33 AM Wrote:but now that I found THIS place I hope I won't get rejected out of hand just cuz I'm waiting till 1.10 to give up on MH in pubby games...
Hmmm ... if I were you, I'd never, NEVER use MH again. It sounds as if you've managed to keep your account through this wave of deletions. Good. Take it as a sign; a big, red one with four letters on it.

As for being "rejected out of hand," well, I must admit (for the first time, btw), that I have no moral high ground to stand upon. Waaaay back in the halcyon days of my youth :P , I used a trainer for D1. *gasp*
That was around, oh, 3-4 months before I became bored with the game. Funny how that happens - you get yourself a set of perfect ob/zod jewelry, a GPoW, and all the other cutesy little abbreviations for the godly items that, in some cases, didn't even EXIST in the game, and suddenyly, it's no fun anymore.
Then I found Woody, and Charis, and even Lemming, over at the (now defunct - at least, for all purposes other than nostalgia) Nude Beach, the hangout of the Variant crowd back then. Suddenly, my favorite game was no longer boring! My old "Gods o' B'net" went the way of the dinosaur, and along came my char Akiro, and his BNM's and BW's and SNOB's, and the list goes on and on.
At some point in this, I drifted over here...I can't remember exactly when, but I'd guess, knowing the trends, it was around the time of the D2 beta tests. Loved reading Bolty's reports. A few things happened not long after d2 hit the shelves, however, and I was offline for years.
Anyway, my autobiography aside ;) , after I came back to rampant hacks and cheaters on Blizzarad's "hack-free realms" :rolleyes: I took the advice to go to the Basin games, and there I found a community nearly as good as the Beach. Needless to say, ever since I've been in Bnet heaven...and don't want, need, or even like the smell of any of the hack programs.
So, from one reformed cheater to (hopefully) another one, glad to see ya cross the fence. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
Please return from the dark side. :) I hope you can find enough legits to play with, either here via the Pandemonium Fortress, or at the Amazon Basin, so that you don't have to face trigger hackers and scroll hackers.

I understand your feelings, I was a bit irritated by the two trigger hack shots that PK'd a couple of my HC characters.

Adapt, improvise, overcome. Best of luck.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Archon_Wing,Jun 11 2003, 05:48 PM Wrote:I don't care if your dog uses it
Come on, here's a dog sitting and busy configuring the maphack settings:
http://w1.911.telia.com/~u91116012/d2/doghacker.jpg

Admit that you would care a little... At least be slightly surprised? ;)
bschultz quoting GFraizer Wrote:Why didn't you catch everyone?
112,000 is a LOT of people/accounts.

<snip>

Summary
We're up to 243,000 accounts shut down for hacking/cheating. Please don't be one of them. Don't use hacks. Don't use cheats. Don't use 3rd party programs.
This got me wondering - how many accounts are there in total? What percentage of the total accounts got shut down?

There have been a few "drop in the bucket" comments in this thread - is it really only that?

I have to believe that only a small minority of b.net users use cheats. It only takes a few (very few!) grief players in games or spammers in the forums to stick out like a sore thumb and make the problem seem worse than it really is.

-- CH

(now if only Blizzard's WoW policy on grief players could also be applied to D2...)
The problem is that some of the worse exploits and hacked items have not been dealt with yet. Until then, I see it as a few drops. Remember cheaters often have multuiple accounts. If one cheater was eliminated, it could have meant 4 accounts.

I appreciate Blizzard's effort though.