A question about Mysterious shrine
I heard that Mysterious shrine is more likely to increase DEX than other stats. Jarulf's guide confirms this. Now, my question is, if my DEX is maxed and the shrine chooses to increase DEX, will my other stats lose a point, while my DEX stays at its max? I guess this question also applies to Tainted shrine.
My advice to you is to wait for Jarulf to answer this, but IIRC you're right, you'll only get losses if it wants to raise yer already-maxed stat.
Greetings, dfn!

Mmm, and some of us have tried this. As far as the Mysterious Shrine goes, I can definitely report to you that if your Dexterity stat is maxxed and the Shrine is set to add to your Dex while subtracting from your other values, you indeed get the worst of both worlds -- your Dexterity remains the same while your other attributes lose one point in value.

According to Jarulf's in the chapter on Shrines:

"There exist a bug that will cause any shrine with a random effect to at times not be random and instead have a specific result. This bug is most noticeable in the first games you play without exiting Diablo completely (decreasing in probability for each dungeon level you enter, including reentering of a level)"

This would suggest that in order to "further randomize" the Shrine Set an reduce the "bug" that increases the hit to Dexterity, you should complete many dungeon levels (or exit and re-enter that shrine level a number of times) before hitting the Shrine.

This assumes I've properly interpreted the Guide, though. Jarulf?

And Jarulf, does this also work in Single Player? Enter and leave the dungeon level with the shrine on it to "randomize" the shrine's effect?

Attika
Hey Attika!

That's exactly what I was afraid of...hehe
I read that section of Jarulf's guide, but couldn't find more info on shrines.
Thank you, Vandiablo and Attika
Actually, I used to enjoy hitting mysterious shrines (or fountains of tears) after I'd maxed out my stats; hunting for a vit elixir gives you something to do. ;)

"In this world nothing can be said to be permanent, except black deaths and mana-reducing shrines."