Poll: Well?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
19.15%
9 19.15%
No
80.85%
38 80.85%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is age a mark of maturity?
Hi,

No, but it is *one* indicator. As is age of maturity.

So, "yes" and "no" don't cut it.

EDIT: I'd really like to see the age of the people who said "no". Bunch of *young* immature brats, I'll wager :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,May 12 2003, 08:23 AM Wrote:EDIT: I'd really like to see the age of the people who said "no".  Bunch of *young* immature brats, I'll wager :)

--Pete
I'd really like to see a list of the people who bothered to vote on a such an obviously flawed poll. :huh:

When presented with the unspoken question of, "Do you blindly cross roads without first checking the traffic?" they all answered "YES!"

ROFL!!! :lol:

PS. For the benefit of what I hope is merely a subset of those who answered, "Yes", the above question is a metaphor. :P
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
It is flawed, but I hit "No" regardless. Believe it or not, things do no have to be perfect in order to answer. Else we would all be dead before we made it past grade school.

Oh dear, I pressed "No"! The world is doomed, and fireballs will consume the earth.

Oh well, guess I am one of those *young* immature brats :)

How about you loose some of that anal retentiveness you *old* immature fart ;)
I voted "no". All I could think about was several converstations on battle.net and the caliber of its residents. Sometimes I was just so blown away I had to ask their age. I rarely got a response under 20 years. I'm sure many were posers, but I couldn't help but believe some of them. Just go browse the battle.net forums online, and you will understand.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:EDIT: I'd really like to see the age of the people who said "no". Bunch of *young* immature brats, I'll wager

I was the second person to answer "no" to the poll.

I actually agree with you, Pete, but when only given a "black-or-white" choice, "no" wins. The "lesser of wrong answers", if you will.

And for the record, I was 23 years of age as of January 23rd.

- WL
Hail Langolier,

I met someone last night: he was doing a PhD in Computer Science (he never said a thing, but I found that out), yet from the way he was acting, I was thinking "Stupid little Script Kiddie!" Then there was his mornonic undergraduate lacky, who clearly knows next to nothing about computers... I ended up going to bed, as they were killing my brain cells.

Anywho, the point is that age alone does not mean a thing. Most children could not be called mature, but not all adults are any closer. I didn't vote: any question that can be answered by yes or no alone is not worth holding a poll over; if it is a topic worth holdin a poll, then it needs as many options as possible.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
That poll is flawed on more than 1 lvl.
I'm a percussionist and also an instructor for the drummers in a school band, and I have an 11-year old pupil who is very mature for her age. On some occasions she's right there with me when I'm thinking I'm three steps ahead of her.. and of course, sometimes her age does show in some of her behaviour (she liked that Ketchup-song).. but the times where she knows what I mean and what I'm thinking, she doesn't require me to say something. She is very good at deducting things based on her perceptions.. unlike Internet-nerds where you have to spell out -every- -single- word in order for them to understand you..

I didn't place a vote, as I'm torn both ways.

I think there are very few youngsters who are mature for their age. But then again, I base that mostly on Internet-geeks who may not have the best of people skills.

I also believe there can be immature old people. I know I am from time to time.. and I'm 20 ("and a half" :P )
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
A funny thought is, this forum has been around so long, that some of us who used to be young brats are now older brats.
It can but stupidity is not limited by age. :ph34r:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
First off, I'll admit my age. I'm 15 now, 16 in a little under 4 months (September 10th).

I personally don't think age is a good showing of maturity simply because of the fact that there are so many exceptions to the rule - and not only that, but most of the people that I've met that I consider immature are in their high teens to mid twenties whereas the majority of people I've met that are my age are of a greater maturity level than the average bnetter.

Of course, occasionally the stereotype lives up to its name, I know a good portion of my "real life" friends are of the immature type, at least online. I won't deny the stereotype, but I believe its overused and has been forced onto the incorrect age group.

Just my 0.02 cents!
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Maturity and age are two different things.

Being mentaly mature does not depend on age, but normally more aged people are more tactfull and open-minded than people who are not, that is because of experience and understanding.....thats in *most* cases and thats why people tend to judge you by your age.....

There young and aspiring people who can reason, think, and define their goals as carefully as mature people do.
"It burns because its burning!"
Maturity has plenty of varying levels of importance, and about as many different types. While I absolutely relish the great Lenny Bruce's notorious aphorism (*) and generally think just about everyone should lighten up (myself not excluded) I tend to take a more sober stance on, say, some pubescent Fast and Furious tadpole soaring three inches in front of my car, diagonally, at 87 miles an hour.

By and large though I think my man Tommy Robbins said it best:

"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature."

- Swear-malicious

*F--- 'em if they can't take a joke - L.B.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Hail Ghostiger,

Aye, I was thinking a similar thing a little while ago. When I first joined my Diablo guild, I was about the second or third youngest member: I was just a kid in the middle of high school. Now, I'm probably still one of the younger - though far from youngest - members (to be honest, I never ask people their ages: I just figure out roughly what they are from conversation; eg "At school today...", "Back from a lecture...", etc), but I am about where the average age was back when I joined.

I then went from that line of thinking back to when I first used the Internet. I was only a little kid - I think about 10 or so - and had no comprehention of what it was, let alone what it was to become. I'd spend my time looking for pictures of my favourite cartoon caracters; I didn't know much beyond that. At about 12, I discovered online gaming, but didn't like it at the time - people didn't seem friendly. It wasn't until I was 15 I tried that again.

Heh, I've come a long way from those days ;) Of cause, back then I hardly knew what Windows was - my PC couldn't run it: Windows was just that program on the Internet PC. I knew how to program a little, but didn't really understand what was going on at a lower level. I knew basic electronics, but it was not until a couple years later I learned how PC hardware worked, or how to build a PC. I had seen a mainframe, but couldn't comprehend the difference between it and a PC - that one cracks me up these days :P I used to wish I had a 286, to I could play the latest games... though, really, I probably still would have only played my old favourites. Oh, and I *knew* that the best games always came on casette - though, I never was able to complete any of them.

Funny how we grow up with some things, eh? There cannot be too many things in our lives like that. Not too many of us would watch the same cartoons as we did when we were kids; we'd likely read different things too. We would listen to different music, and some of us have even moved to different cities; states... even countries! Yet, as is for me and likely for many others here, the computer has been around most of the time; one of the few constants. Odd when you think about it, eh?
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I think that as you get older, you have the potential to become more mature. So, in general, I'd say that there are probably a higher percentage of mature people over the age of (oh... just to pick an arbitrary number...) 20 than under the age of 20. Of course, the definition of what "mature" is can be the another discussion in itself.

I'm sure no one would agree with the statement: "Because you are old, therefore you are mature."

I couldn't cast a vote... I agree with Elric

Quote:any question that can be answered by yes or no alone is not worth holding a poll over
Just because someone has OLDER out look and experinces dont mean they have wisdom, i have heard pearls wisdom coming a from 13 year old that was acting like adult and being treated like adult due to the wisdom it spoke, so age dont mean anything to someone that can give wisdom to some one that is willing to see there points, the funny thing is the 13 year old was very wise for there age and never had there childhood 13 year old was forced to grow up faster mentally but body wise the 13 year old was that a kid.. a mere kid compared to me a 32 year old and i was just shocked to hear from this

My husband has always said wisdom is not what you know of its what you worked and learned from in your life..maybe he is right maybe life is what you feel and do that grant insight to know what will happen and warn the ones that repeat there mistakes....
Baylan,May 11 2003, 08:57 PM Wrote:Just my 0.02 cents!
So that's your 2-one hundredths of a cent?

*giggles maddly like a schoolgirl*

Ahem.

On a more serious note, while a yes/no poll may be unsatisfactory, it can spark intelligent, open and quality debate and convesation, as this one has. So the idea that such a poll is useless is flawed -- the end result and the intent are at least as important as the flaw of the poll itself.

For example, a poll that simply asked: "should german soldiers from World War II be prosecuted for war crimes" is obviously unfit for a yes/no poll -- there is far too much to be discussed and considered to simply pick one of two options. However, if such a poll sparks debate, conversation, and thought on the issue, I would consider the poll worthwhile.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Az3ar,May 11 2003, 09:11 PM Wrote:There young and aspiring people who can reason, think, and define their goals as carefully as mature people do.
When you say mature people, do you mean physically? Because as is shown with the poll, there are double meanings to many words and phrazes. :)
WWBBD?
Anywho, the point is that age alone does not mean a thing.

That's true; therefore the phrase "Age is not a mark of maturity" is a true statement. Not an all encompasing statement, but true none the less.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!