Secret quest? cool!
I am aware of that, but I said Elric of more than one gran. I learned that all singular get an 's, and all plural get s'. Of course, you spell it Valour, and I spell it Valor... :) (Us crazy Americans, at it again.)
Quote:I learned that all singular get an 's, and all plural get s'.

You know, since this information is about 1/10th of a second away, on any computer linked to the 'net, this is rather... sad.

Use an apostrophe (’) in nouns to show possession.

If the singular form of the noun does not end in s or an s sound, add the apostrophe and s (’s).
Singular---- Singular Possessive
teacher ---- teacher’s
cousin ---- cousin’s
cat ---- cat’s

If the singular ends in s or an s sound, add the apostrophe (’ ) or the apostrophe and s (’s) if the additional s sound is desired.
Singular ---- Singular Possessive
glass ---- glass’ or glass’s
bus ---- bus’ or bus’s
fox ---- fox’ or fox’s

If the plural form of the noun does not end in s, add the apostrophe and s (’s).
Plural ---- Plural Possessive
women ---- women’s
people ---- people’s
alumni ---- alumni’s

If the plural form of the noun ends in s, add only the apostrophe (’ ).
Plural ---- Plural Possessive
computers ---- computers’
diskettes ---- diskettes’
modems ---- modems’

The possessives of proper nouns are formed in the same way as the possessives of common nouns. If the singular form of the name does not end in s, add the apostrophe and s (’s). If the singular ends in s or an s sound, add the apostrophe (’ ) or the apostrophe and s (’s). The plural possessive always is formed by adding the apostrophe to the plural form.
Proper Noun ---- Singular Possessive ---- Plural ---- PluralPossessive
Phil ---- Phil’s ---- Phils ---- Phils’
Ellis ---- Ellis’ or Ellis’s ---- Ellises ---- Ellises’
Jones ---- Jones’ or Jones’s ---- Joneses ---- Joneses’

Your assignment for today: Start paying attention to your teachers... or at least have the wherewithal to do your own research.

Hey, Elric. What say you and I start an educational rehabilitative program to instruct HMIs how to write the Queen's English. I vote for a consequential approach: We teach it once, and if they don't "get it", we shoot them. How's that on ye, mate?
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,May 13 2003, 09:31 PM Wrote:Hey, Elric.  What say you and I start an educational rehabilitative program to instruct HMIs how to write the Queen's English.  I vote for a consequential approach:  We teach it once, and if they don't "get it", we shoot them.  How's that on ye, mate?
only if we all get to shoot back when you fail to proofread your own work properly. :o

*contemplates some interesting target practice*
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I don't hold myself out of the possibility for reproach. If anything, knowing that others are keeping me on my "grammatical toes" would only sharpen my skills and desire for proper usage.

THAT, I consider to be a worthwhile achievement.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hail Nico,

Nobody's perfect, you know. I believe it was only in recent times that publishers believed they had finally got all the typos out of The Bible (which has been printed for as long as we've had printing presses!); it was only fairly recently that bug reports for TeX stopped appearing :P Heck, look at Shakespeare: the guy's making it up as he goes along! Half those words didn't exist before he used them... and some probably have not existed since, especially given how many words he was able to only ever use once ;)

Of cause, I'm quite different: I can type anything I want without errors! I just add the errors so you all don't feel so bad :lol:

Lets teach all these Americans how to spell, and give 'em a trout to the face every time they get it wrong!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Quote:Of cause, I'm quite different

Shure joo ar! :P

I feel better already :)

Gretinx
Noor
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.