leechers
Leeching is and will always be a topic debatable on the boarders of the cheating/non-cheating realms, such as the twinking1 thread3 in Atma’s Tavern. Is the act of leeching experience off of another player’s kills cheating/non-cheating? Is getting a rush to hell cows, or anywhere for that matter, cheating/non-cheating? Forget cheating – is it moral/immoral? What if everyone agrees its okay to leech and/or rush? What if everyone agrees it’s not okay? There will always be a difference of opinions concerning the validity of rather rushing and leeching are actually meant to be part of the game.

On a side note, there are plenty of real world leechers2 in today’s day and age (just look at how Anna Nicole Smith became a billionaire), but from what I’ve observed it takes just as much effort to leech what you want as it would to just go out and get it. The ironic part however is that those whom leech think they are doing things the easy way.

I have also observed in real life that when a lecher gets everything they wanted, they are only temporarily happy. This happiness quickly ends and leads to boredom, even depression, as their ideas of a ‘perfect-life’ are fulfilled and they find their main goal in life has come to an abrupt end. How empty and shallow they must become. Truly what else is there once you have everything you wanted? I pity leechers, in Diablo and in real life.

Since there is also a topic on proper English in this thread, I’ll clarify the following words:
1 I herby recognize the following words as real-words in Diablo: Twinker, Twinking, Twinked
2 I herby recognize the following words as real-words in Diablo: Leechers
3 Here is the link to the thread: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=5&t=1101
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I have also observed in real life that when a lecher gets everything they wanted, they are only temporarily happy. This happiness quickly ends and leads to boredom, even depression, as their ideas of a ‘perfect-life’ are fulfilled and they find their main goal in life has come to an abrupt end. How empty and shallow they must become. Truly what else is there once you have everything you wanted?

Yep, those who become successful in their lecherous pursuits often up bored and still unfulfilled. Or so I've heard. As for me, I'm still in the pursuing phase. :P

Also I agree the leeching is as much effort as playing. In fact, it's a challenge in itself. But IMO it should just be scavenging and following along without getting killed, that's the hard part. I'd never do it to annoy anyone, tho.

-V
From the MEATspeak:

Quote:I have also observed in real life that when a lecher gets everything they wanted, they are only temporarily happy. This happiness quickly ends and leads to boredom, even depression, as their ideas of a ‘perfect-life’ are fulfilled and they find their main goal in life has come to an abrupt end. How empty and shallow they must become. Truly what else is there once you have everything you wanted? I pity leechers, in Diablo and in real life.

For folks who 'have it all' the following question has been raised: "How much is enough?"

Five billion? Ten Billion? Fifteen Mercedes? Twenty BMW's?

The reply is usually: "I'll tell you when I get there."

Iin life, when a goal achieved, one is often free to pursue other goals and aims. Thus, a leecher may indeed turn to other goals once their leeching goal is achieved. For example, the leech might go and play another game! 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished!!!

And with a nod to friend Vandiablo, I'd point out that when a lecher attains a stated aim, there is always another piece of pastry on the shelf that requires sampling. Having leched IRL, I know whereof I speak. Thank goodness for my dear wife, who saved me from a shallow, if riotous, life of leching. :D When she joined 'La Leche League' in California, I was afraid for a moment that I would return to a life of depraved debauchery. Fear not, ' the League 'tis an organization aimed at promoting breast feeding by mothers of infants. (I've been promoting breast feeding for years, even if not solely in a natal context. :P)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Besides, have you ever watched the Anna Nicole show? I watched one show, and was stuck between nausea, revulsion and a morbid curiosity. That in and of itself is depressing. I won't bring myself to watch the Osbornes.

Leeching is the antithesis of team work. You join a party, and your party expects you to contribute. You join a basketball team, not because they are a shoe in for the playoffs, but because you want to play and contribute to the team. Anyway, if I join a party and most of the others in the party are unhelpful, I leave the party. I get the bulk of the experience if I'm killing most of the monsters anyway. I would do the same if the group's purpose was for a grade in sociology class, or if it was a baseball team. I think it is up to each on of us who considers themselves an honest player to not tolerate userous behavior. I wouldn't in real life, why should I in the game.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hmm.. leeching. The great thing is that I haven't come across *too* many leechers in hardcore yet, but they were overwhelming in softcore. Every cow game, 1-3 leechers every time, if more come people tend to leave the game though. I have to say I hate them and I love them.

What I used to do in SC, when I had a character that could kill every cow in a matter of minutes in hell in an 8 people game, is spam for leechers to come to a channel and I'd create a game where 4 luck leechers got to join and get exp. I know I probably shouldn't have done this, since now that I look back at it I was promoting leeching itself, but this was a while ago before I was more enlightened to the immoralities of rushing and leeching.

For the purpose of more experience, I loved them. I also hated them at times. They would run around looking for anything that dropped of value and made sure you wouldn't get it. That isn't all too bad, since items were so easy to get in softcore, but also the fact that in doing this they woke up all the sleeping cows that were resting peacefully and brought them to you indirectly, ready or not. This is ok when you are a javazon with lightning fury or a fast killing bowazon, but when you aren't and this happens it's always a pain. Sorceresses can't always kill fast enough and necros (CE/Amp) need a few dead bodies before they can do their miracle work.

So for different reasons I loved leechers, and for other reasons I loved the little guys!

I can't say I'm totally against leeching though. When you're on the killing side of the spectrum they always seem like a nuissance (give a few leechers that are actually good at what they do, I've come across a few who gave me items I missed... nice people are still out there :P ), and on the other side (which in softcore is hard to not be on) it seems great. Depends on the person who's killing and the person who's leeching.

- Itami
HARDCORE BABY!

*ITT@USEast

"Death Before Dishonor! Bonzai!"
I like leechers, leaves harder monsters for me to kill. More monster blood for Dmen.

I don't like them when the snatch my kill drops.

When I leeched I was always the "gold bitch" and gathered gold for the party to make myself usefull.
I think that leechers are now 95% grabbers, will moan and hassle you to open the portal ASAP (as quickly as possible if this aberviation is frowned upon :P ). Occasionaly you find a nice one, who may curse monsters, give you an aura, pick up gold, or tell you if you left an item of interest. The problem is this is rare, so in general I am against leechers. The process of leeching I am not against if they help you, but I hate to see them doing nothing or just being anoying and useless.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.