Everyone does this...
[ Wrote:Angel,May 6 2003, 01:43 PM] Now this is funny:
http://home.online.no/~efmf/moro/priceless.asf

Yeah, it's another priceless-thing, but I couldn't stop laughing first time I saw it. Just thought I'd share it..
Enjoyed every minute of that. Thanks :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Now THAT is the kind of thing that's going to be circulating campus. (Thanks to me of course!) Great!
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
...you people haven't seen that one before. :D

And yes, that IS priceless. ;)

A bit tacky the 20th time, but still good overall. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
The Mcard clip was funny, I don't remember seeing it on TV, tho...

The site with the Jedi Kid clip was updated with this blurb:

Quote:Update: I've turned off new comments in this thread because of the mean-spirited tone, and deleted the most vicious comments. Yes, he's fat and awkward. We get it. Since 90% of the traffic to these videos is coming from gaming, technology, and Star Wars news websites, I'm guessing that most of you weren't any cooler in junior high school than this poor kid. All you geeks, nerds, and dorks out there need to think twice before trashing one of your own.

No, it's because we went through all that that IT'S OKAY for US to laugh. It's usually not okay for anyone else, tho. (This from a Wargamer's Guild President and Math Team Captain, who was way too skinny to even think about trying out for football, too inexperienced for most other sports, too winded for track, too dorky for socially-conscious girls, thank goodness for the independents, and who is fat now, thank you. )

It's okay to think it's not funny, too. Just plz don't jump to conclusions about why I find it funny, thx. Humor is one of the most subjective things there is, and "sense of humor" varies amazingly from person to person. I laugh at a lot of "dumb" slapstick humor, like the 3 stooges or the Ministry of Silly Walks, but also at Barry, Twain, Vonnegut, Heller, and Pratchett, they aren't mutually exclusive (except that some are living and the others are dead). Whoever said that all humor is derisive (or whatever) probably hung out with the wrong people, and certainly painted with too broad a brush. Me, I certainly prefer to brush with two painted broads (*waggles thick eyebrows*)

I think what was funny to me about The Kid was the way he held in his lips, and the fact that after about 15 seconds of combat, gee, let's take a break. If he and I played football or ultimate frisbee, he and I would probably be paired up to face each other, "Let's just stand here at midfield a few minutes..." Also, I guess the theme of "blind to personal limitations" pops up a bit, though he's still young enough that he can probably expand his limits quite a bit (with something like boot camp, or a very physical heterosexual relationship, or divine intervention, who knows?)

Somebody should probably tell "the poor kid" he'll need a better weapon when the time comes that people must pay and the killing starts. (He'll probably start with whoever took the tape...)

-V

ps. Terry Pratchett is the best! No, Heller! No, Twain! No, Pratchett!

pps. Kurt Vonnegut was funny in "Breakfast of Champions" and maybe another, many of his others were just depressing. ...uh ... did he die? i don't remember
OffTopic:

Quote:If he and I played football or ultimate frisbee

Ultimate frisbee rocks ! The only sport other than football (I mean "soccer", not that lame crap you call football ;) ) that is really fun to play :)
Is it popular in The States ? Unfortunately, hardly anyone seems to play it in Europe :(

Moldran
Hells yes! . . .for Middle / High School students in Gym. :)

Still an awesome game. And, from what I hear, popular at colleges, too.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,May 7 2003, 09:03 AM Wrote:Hells yes! . . .for Middle / High School students in Gym. :)
And for middle-aged folks too, I want you to know! :rolleyes:

Quote:And, from what I hear, popular at colleges, too.

Now that Pike Bay has become Pike Beach there will be some pick-up games played there this summer too. :D
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

. . . that I put my coffee cup down first. :)

Many thanks.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Ha ha, I just finished a game of Ultimate about an hour ago. We try to play all we can when the weather is nice here, but I don't know if I would say it's a "popular" sport at this college. On a good day we'll have maybe a dozen people playing, but it's the same people every game.

Anyway, it is one mad cool sport :).

--Copadope
I'm not sure if I should've made a new thread for these, but.. anyway. Here you go:
http://www.home.no/primula666/arf/sport.mpeg
http://www.home.no/primula666/arf/reklama.mpeg

I'm gonna watch the second one again .. :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Well, I'm bumping this for a reason:

http://www.jish.nu/

News from 18th -21st of May. I saw it in the newspaper (www.elmundo.es, it's in Spanish so no point liking to it :P).

I find it rather intriguing that tis happened. Good :)
A little follow up on the "Star Wars Kid" video.

Read this !

It's an article on wired wich says that two guys are asking for donations wich they intend to give to the kid. I have no idea if the kid will ever see that money, but it's kinda nice. They already got 1000 $.

The article says that the kid is a French Canadian, I might see him in the subway one day !!! ;)

Methraton
I didn't really find it funny, somewhat amusing but not really that funny. It is true however that with some training the kid probably could become decently skilled in a martial art, albeit with a bit of physical conditioning, he seems to have the personality for it :P . However, martial arts are a serious thing, most of them are B.S. and it's difficult to find something decent. Besides pole fighting won't do you much good since you can't generally fit a 6 foot steel pole in your pocket, at least conveniently heh. And like I said, most martial arts are ran by some overly macho lunatic drill sargeant type who really wants the money and doesn't actually intend on teaching the people anything that they could ACTUALLY use in real life. Trust me, I know!

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
. . . hopeless invalids." -- Aldo Nadi

Hi,

martial arts are a serious thing, most of them are B.S.

My brother in law is involved in a few of them, and it has definitely turned his life around.

As for me, while I played around with judo, fencing has been my martial art of choice for 51 years. But pastime that makes a RTS look slow can't be all bad ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hehe, just started fencing last year. Classical fencing, under Master Nick Evangelista (at least our Salle is under him, personally we are taught by David Achilleus). Fun stuff, though learning kendo the two years before i took up fencing was a bad idea.
Pete, I said most not all, I guess your brother found something good.

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
Hi,

Yes, I saw what you said. You pointed out that most are bad, I gave some examples of a few that were good. No contradiction, no argument. However, I do wonder just how extensive a sample you took all around the world to be able to claim that "most" were bad. "Many" would have been a safer choice :)

--Pete

Hi,

Hehe, just started fencing last year. Classical fencing,

Hmmm. Just how "classical"? Two years of footwork and drill before you face an opponent? Foil only and all 8 guards? The Ballista?

I learned the "classical" way, Italian School, those many long years ago. And had to unlearn a lot of it when I actually started competing. I ran into an interesting line in a Fencing book some thirty years ago:

"If your salle teaches you to recover back from a lunge, go elsewhere. When you lunge, there are three possible outcomes:
(1) your opponent parries and reposts or counters. You stay in the lunge position and keep fighting.
(2) your opponent retreats, with or without a parry. You recover forward and chase him off the strip.
(3) you touch. It then doesn't matter if you need a crane to help you up.
Never is a recover back necessary."

Not an exact quote, been too long for that. But it opened my eyes. Figure out "what" you need to do before spending too much time learning "how" to do it ;)

And just why was the kendo bad? The few people I've known who practice both fencing and kendo seem to think that the two help each other.

--Pete

Based on some experience of my own, of my kids, and of my neighbors, I have found that martial arts schools are easy to figure out. Some run them with the proper professinalism and spirit, and are a benefit for their students, and some are run by yahoos: just like many enterprises, such as gymnastics schools, little leagues, golf instruction.

Where you get 'most' from is, by my guess, your arse.

I studied Tae Kwon Do under a Korean 5th Dan black belt, in the 1973-74 time frame. I do regret being unable to continue it when we moved, but I had transportation issues that were not solvable at the tender age of 15. I went back to soccer and hoops, and working after shcool to save money for college.

Had the situation been different, I would have kept with it, as I really liked Tae Kwon Do. In later years, however, thre were opportunities to get back into TKD, but other sports took my interest. Too bad, really, but the choices we make shape our lives. Had I stuck with Tae Kwon Do, maybe I would never have taken up golf, or been a Hash House Harrier for four years. Who knows?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Besides pole fighting won't do you much good since you can't generally fit a 6 foot steel pole in your pocket, at least conveniently heh.

Your post reminded me of an incident that happened to a friend of mine while we were at university together. I had met this guy in a student organization called "Conflict Simulations Association" which was an amalgam of war gamers, RPG players, and those who are actual "fighters". He was in ROTC, and had an interest in medieval combat. Anyway after a training event some punks tried to mug him on his way home. He was still wearing his chain mail armor and had a 4-foot broad sword strapped to his back.

I still chuckle when I think about those kid’s jaws dropping, stunned, when he drew that sword and them running from this mad knight. :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]