Wow, weird happening.
This is story of how I accidently duped an item. (Plain leather gloves to be specific). I was rushing someone thru hell with my barb and lag was....well.....extreme. It was among the worst lag situtions I have experienced.(Lag is rather unusual BC of T1 line but certainly not unheard of.) Anyway I accidentally pick up the gloves and don't really need them so I try to drop them them . Right after I clicked on them in my inventory the lag monster attacked. I was unable to either drop the item or return it to my inventory. (when I cliced in the inventory it made the "bglove" sound but my cursor still showed goves and nothing appeared in the inventory.) Shortly after I got a "Connection Interupted" message and was unable to log on for awhile due to "realm down."

I created a new game with the barb with plans to do a few meph/baal runs. When I entered the game my cursor still was the gloves AND the lovesg were in my inventory. I (thought I) took a screenshot and sold both to Larzuk. And went on with my day, thinking I'd have a great STSI. However I must'v hit the wrong button button because I didn't get a screenshot. Oh well.......
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I believe this should go in the Maggots Lair...
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Even if you hadn't sold them to Larzuk, the gloves would have disappeared upon exiting the game, due to the DupeScan™. However, yes, I believe it is due to being able to lag out the game at predictable times that dupers were able to do their thing. Hence the Realm Down that you received.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Quote: I believe this should go in the Maggots Lair...

Agreed I guess.... ;)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci