Bow and speed suffixes
I remember reading somewhere that you could only get alatrcity (20 ias) at most on a bow. Is that still true? As in no bows of swiftness or quickness.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:+ Weapon Speeds
  Available on
Readiness  10%  Attack Speed Increase Weapons(5), Gloves(20)
Alacrity       20%  Attack Speed Increase Weapons(25), Gloves(43)
Swiftness   30%  Attack Speed Increase Melee Weapons(34)
Quickness  40%  Attack Speed Increase Melee Weapons(46)

If you believe Arreat's Summit, it's true

Nuur

edit: Internet Exploder froze while posting :angry:
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Alacrity and Readiness are the only two I've seen on Bows in 1.09.

Per Arreat Summit, Swiftness and Quickness are only available on Melee Weapons, while the previous are available on Bows.

And per this beautiful link, it's a definite proven no go for bows.

It's interesting that the finest Unique bow in the game has 20ias, and the most overpowered common CB gets 80% ias. Well, given that the Burrito is slow as all getout anyhow, and I've run tests at the breakpoint on it, you best have 5000+ into AR to get it to be worth it's stuff.

Hope that helps. Ok, now a senior/charter member will refute me. :)
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Conner Macleod,Mar 24 2003, 04:43 AM Wrote:It's interesting that the finest Unique bow in the game has 20ias, and the most overpowered common CB gets 80% ias. 

Hope that helps.  Ok, now a senior/charter member will refute me.  :)
Now you know Connor :)....we have had this discussion before :)....The best Unique bow in the game is a Goldstrike :)...it has 50% ias already built in :).....

Im not a WF/Eagle fan at all .... I personally think the Goldstrike is the best bow in the game, but most think it to be a waster of arrows :)...

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
The best bow in the game is the EthShaelShaelShaelShaelShael Long Battle bow that my enchantress uses! ;)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I agree, Albion. But minus the Eth. And the Shaels. And the Long Battle Bow. And plus being Kuko Shakaku. :D
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Quote:The best bow in the game is the EthShaelShaelShaelShaelShael Long Battle bow that my enchantress uses!

The epitome of a coked-up woodpecker, right there.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Albion Child,Apr 8 2003, 08:29 PM Wrote:The best bow in the game is the  EthShaelShaelShaelShaelShael Long Battle bow that my enchantress uses! ;)
Why would you bother to boast about bug abuse? <_<
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

The best bow varies depending on which character is using it with further variation depending on play style and point distribution. :P

As an example, take a look at all the Holy Shock Paladin as as archer and start thinking about the desire for Pierce and IAS. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Exactly.

Best bow depends on 'Class' and 'build' and what is fun for you. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I've always thought that many many people using the Lounge were drawn here because they wanted to gain a play advantage from deeper understanding of the game mechanics

There are many many bugs in the game which people routinely exploit to gain an advantage

To give just a very brief list:

Barb Weapon Masteries do 100% critical hit
Poison stops monster regen
Poison duration on missile weapons

etc etc

There are also many many grey areas where it is less clear whether the effect is intentional
Blood Golem/Iron Maiden
Lightning Fury or Frozen Arrow/Pierce
Shifted druids count weapon ias twice

I don't think bug abuse is actually wrong nor should it be considered "cheating"

If we do take the view that exploiting the Eth bug is cheating then we penalise some of the most item poor people in the game: Malice, Zephyr, Holy Thunder are all out of bounds

If we extend the principle to cover other exploits then a great many under-powered builds are also out of bounds. The crushing bowadin/bowmancer builds for instance. Or indeed AlbionChild's comparitively under-powered Enchant sorc

AlbionChild has an Enchant sorc that gets auto-hit by using Eth (a bug exploit). I have an Enchant sorc that gets auto-hit by using Demon Machine (a property of what is a rather godly unique). The effect on other people's play experience is identical, surely?

I have always found it strange that quite a number of Lurkers feel strongly that bug exploiting is wrong. This is after all the place where most of these exploits get discovered
Quote:Shifted druids count weapon ias twice
I do not think this is a bug as it is not just counted twice but in a very interesting way. It seems to have been intentionally set up this way by Blizzard. Now, it may end up that it had an effect that they didn't foresee, but it very likely not a "bug."
-TheDragoon
Quote:I don't think bug abuse is actually wrong nor should it be considered "cheating"

Thank you for stopping by. I'm sure you know the way out.

Oh, and try not to let the door hit you on the way out. But don't try too hard.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
TheDragoon,Apr 10 2003, 10:55 PM Wrote:Now, it may end up that it had an effect that they didn't foresee, but it very likely not a "bug."
Accepted

That one should be in the second list, the grey area ones

I'll edit my original post to move it down
Roland,Apr 10 2003, 11:18 PM Wrote:Thank you for stopping by. I'm sure you know the way out.

Oh, and try not to let the door hit you on the way out. But don't try too hard.
Well I'll be in good company then

Since presumably if the Lounge were to start banning the players who exploit bugs we should also be banning those who discover them then publicise them

The last time this issue came up I challenged anyone to post up a Hell build that didn't exploit any bugs whatsoever

Only one person posted a build

And that build did exploit a bug (perhaps inadvertently)

Did you read my post Roland? Claw mastery is bugged. All the Barb weapon masteries are bugged. Poison is bugged. Fire arrow is bugged. Aurikan has recently reported that the AI-effecting curses are bugged. Would you really prefer it if anyone who ever uses any of these skills leaves and does not come back?
Hello Brista, welcome to the Lounge. Please leave. I dislike any and all who cheat, or use exploits. I define an exploit as an unintentional game 'feature' that causes harm to to the stability of the game, the play of other players, or abuses the system in some way that is detrimental to gameplay. To use an exploit is to use (intentionally) a bug to do one of the following
  • Harm other players in game
    <>
  • Gain 'free' experience in that there is no risk
    <>
  • Gain 'extras' that were unintentional - i.e. the secret cow level
    <>
  • Anything else that is considered abusive.<>
    [st]
    Quote:Since presumably if the Lounge were to start banning the players who exploit bugs we should also be banning those who discover them then publicise them

To ban the people who find the exploits is not the same as banning those that use them. To find a bug is something that is an unusual occurance, usually unintentional. When those bugs are found, it is usually a good idea to alert the community of them - or at least some of the head-hanchos. Exploiting a bug is a completely different game though, your intentionally using an exploitation of the system to gain something.

Quote:The last time this issue came up I challenged anyone to post up a Hell build that didn't exploit any bugs whatsoever

Ever hear of Sirian? It's not a hell build, but he took Ember, his fire bolt sorceress, using warmth, fire bolt, and fire mastery to get his sorceress to hell. Oh yeah, he had 12 strength when he did it too. And a staff. In D2C.

That is all I have to say about this issue. Adios, and as Roland said. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out Brista, but don't try too hard.

Edit: I didn't proof well enough *smack head*
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Quote:Welcome to the Lurker Lounge.
Getting the most from your favorite games.&nbsp; This is the goal of the Lurker Lounge.&nbsp; A site dedicated to die-hard gaming, studying a game down to every tiniest detail.&nbsp; Statistics, game mechanics, and in-depth strategies are what make news here.&nbsp; It's not a general gaming news website, and doesn't try to be.

After a few weeks of reading, you'll be scaring your friends with formulae and strategies that they've never seen before - not to mention getting a leg up on those who remain in the dark about them.&nbsp; Reading this site regularly will make you an expert, plain and simple.

Roland and Baylan you're making a very silly argument which is not at all a reflection of the statement of intent of the Lounge

Sirian for instance was one of the most significant exploiters of deficiencies in the monster AI ever to play the game (tempting fate to name but one tactic). DaShiv practically invented waypoint skipping.
I'd like to point out that we have varying opinions about these matters and that the line here is blurry.

Some people would consider twinking/muling cheating, others would consider poweracting cheating. However, i do not think that any of us can decide that one of these "in-betweens" is cheating for all others. The only things that is clearly defined as cheating is the use of third-party programs and using of items created from third-party programs. Some people may not share the same purists views, so uh... yeah. There is a diffrence between purist and legit. Purist is more self-defined.

And yes, I go by Blizzard, and no one else. If Blizzard says something is wrong, I will not do it. They made the game, they define the rules.

Also, it's rather unfair to expect people to delete their Barbarians and Assasins due to the mastery bug.

Plus the "eth" bow idea was a joke...
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
...is yours. You come in here, state that you see nothing wrong with bug exploitation, and not expect an uproar? You're either an ignorant fool, or a troll. Or maybe you're both. In any case, let me spell it out for you:

Bug exploitation is cheating. We do not tolerant the use of cheating nor the discussion of cheating in these forums. If you don't agree with the policy, leave. No one's gonna miss you.

There is a world of difference between intentionally exploiting bugs, and accidently and/or unknowingly using them.

The rest of your so-called argument is as much hogwash as you yourself are. If that trash is the best you can come up with, you're better of leaving your mouth shut. At least that way you won't look like a fool with your foot hanging out of it.

Get a clue. I'm done wasting my time on you.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quote:Bug exploitation is cheating.

I fully agree! I remember when LoD came out and people discovered the weapon switch bug. Dueling was pretty unfair then because a LOT of people were using this bug to an unfair advantage, nearly doubling their damage! But it was pretty funny when blizzard patched it, but note they did give a few days warning, however most of the cheaters still lost their items because blizzard didn't release an exact date and I guess the cheaters just couldn't live without their cheats (or bugs... whatever!).
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin