This seems a little ridiculous
Pomme = potato
frite = verb functioning as an adjective

How to make a noun in french plural. You add the s. But then you have to add the s in the adjective as well
(un = masculine indefinite article, Une = feminine indefinite article.)

Une pomme frite = a french fry

Des pommes frites = french fries

La pomme frites = the french fry

Les pommes frites = the french fries

Une pomme de liberté = A freedom fry

hehehe (had to include that last one)

... That's not bad, seeing as I suck at French (and norwegian, but that's a different matter entirely)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Not even D.C. cafeterias, it's the House cafeteria(s). I doubt that any money at all was appropriated for this...I don't even recall from my visits to the Hill whether that cafeteria is open to the public or not. This is an empty gesture and a little bit childish for sure, but let's not blow it out of proportion. Empty gestures and childish behavior are every day activities in every legislative body I've seen in action, from Congress to U.K.'s Parliament to my local school board and township meetings :)
You can always count on "The Daily Show" to pick up on stuff like this. He's got some damn talented writers and he ain't so bad, himself. :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Actually, in all archaic sense, what we would be calling them are "matchstick-cut (French) fried potatoes". "French fries" is a diminutive, just as a "Hamburg steak sandwich" simply gets called a "hamburger".
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 12 2003, 04:05 AM Wrote:Probably the same fellow that watched a bottom-feeding lobster crawling along the bottom of the beachline and said "I'm gonna eat that".

Brave!  :blink:
Jellied eels. Can you imagine it now?

The year is 40,000 B.C. . Some caveman off the shore of England casts his roughly-hewn net into the waters and draws it back. From the catch, he reaches in and yanks out a black, squiggling eel, and motions to a club-toting caveman companion watching him from the rocks.

"Nigel! What in blazes do you make of this lil' bugger?"
"Blimey. Some squiggly little sea snake creature, that'd I say."

(shoves the eel into his mouth and chews whole)

"Gamey tastin' little critter, that's for sure."

"Well, boil the bastard next time. And let's find some lemon to go with it."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
LOL!

I prefer the term "chips" myself. US-style "shoe-string fries"(a la Mickey D's) are generally crap, and the only good thing I see about them is I can throw them in the freezer for a week, take them out and deep fry them for 5 minutes, and they'll be as crisp as ever. But UK Fish and Chips-style potatoes come in nice thick chunks. Usually wave-cut too.

For true culinary weirdness, you should try the Orient. Sushi is NOTHING compared to:

Pig viscera soup(intestines, liver, kidneys, maybe stomach sometimes)
Century eggs(actually, just 100 DAYS old)

And there's probably others, but I won't delve into that at the moment.

Pig Viscera Soup:

A combination of garlic, black pepper(unground) and some other spices boiled together with the various innards of the pig. Overall very tasty. Try to make sure your liver is properly cooked, not too hard(overdone) nor too soft(undercooked) At the very least the outside should not be red. Same rules for kidney, except that it's "properly cooked" only when you can snap it in half simply by folding it.

Century eggs:

Made from duck/chicken eggs. Used to be wrapped in straw and bunged into a mixture of horse manure and piss. Nowadays they still wrap it in straw but use ammonia instead. The albumen(white) becomes a transluscent black jelly.. The yolk becomes a greenish yellow powder(kind of like when you hard-boil an egg) It's actually pretty good. Sometimes eaten with raw ginger to "balance" the flavour. Some people may not like the overpowering ammonia flavour though(depends on how well they did the chemical process)
I actually prefer american fries to british chips. Chips tend to be larger and fatter. (not fattier, but wider) which prohibits the thing from becoming crisp to the core. There's usually a hunk of potato "stew" in the middle of under-coocked chips. The american ones are so thin (not especially thin, just thinner than chips) that they don't have chunks of potato-mass in the centre (or is it "center"? :) )

In spite of their small, dry burgers, Macdonalds probably has the best chips, but I only go there about once every 5 year. Burgerking is my lover..
I'm a King man myself. Just wish the zit-faces wouldn't keep overdoing the patties(for some reason every BK I go to here has their patties a little hard around the edges. The meat on the inside edge is soft and tasty though) My personal fave being their Swiss Mushroom Double. That's one of the few cases I will break my lactose intolerance rule. The others being chocolate milk, pizza, and lasagne. :P

And Mickey D's has their fries so thin that you're essentially paying for little more than salted oil. :P
The quality of the BKs in this country is utterly appauling.

Now consider the Whopper, yes, it's billed as a gargantuan burger that can satisfy any appitite. Want to know how big the Whoppers are in this country? Head into your local McDonalds (Even if this is something you wouldn't do) and order a plain quarterpounder, no relish, no garnish, no gherkins. Now unwrap that bastard.

There's you Whopper right there.

Still, I'd rather go to KFC than anywhere else. Truly God's food.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
For the Chips, apply the Malt Vinegar (called lucher?), then the whole boiling is washed down with a lovely Theakston's Best Bitter! Or a Boddington's, from a real ale pub. Or, perhaps a Theakstons Old Peculiar, if you are short on the calorie count for the day.

Aye, there is food to grow on!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Still, I'd rather go to KFC than anywhere else. Truly God's food.

I worked at a KFC for a couple months.

Handling raw, bloody chicken bits (ocassionally with a stray feather) is really disgusting.

That said, every 4 or 5 weeks I still get the urge to go down and have their buffet. They've got the best mashed potatos (potatoes?) in town, even if it does come from a can.

The best fast food I've ever had was from a little mom-n-pop store in Monroe, Louisiana. The food at Taco Bandido blew Taco Bell's crud right out of the water (and this was before TB started shrinking their portions). I worked there awhile too, and would drink the salad dressing by itself (a Russian dressing/house salsa mixture).
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Indeed.

Then again, I would actually rather go to a proper restaurant than any of this fast-food crap. Y'know, the kind of restaurant where you book months in advance?

There's an absolutely amazing Italian restaurant in Cardiff, and the family often goes there (They now know us personally there, it's great). Absolutely divine. My favourite meal would have to be an exquisite bolognese for starters, with the fried fresh scampi (In batter, not breadcrumbs - An absolute rarity around these parts) for a main meal. Even better, there's no "side order" per se, but the chef comes around with a platter of cooked vegetables of which you can have whatever you want. Beautiful fried potatoes that almost make me sick whenever I eat chips now.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Of course a restaurant beats junk food...

Personally, I prefer a medium size, medium cooked steak of the finest ox. Cooked just right. It's a golden middleway. Not too raw, but not too overcooked. There's a great feeling biting into a piece of dead flesh and letting the warm blood of the animal gently caress your fa... teeth. Oh sweet, crimson extacy!

(What do you mean I have a sick obsession for vampires?)
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 11 2003, 11:43 PM Wrote:Typical American Soundbite tripe.  I imagine I'll see it on CNN.  Maybe even Wolfy will headline it.
Actually, the basis behind the whole "french fry" name change was, in fact, mentioned on CNN.com. Some restaurant back East did it, word got out to the media, and it just snowballed from there.

One thing I would like to mention is that something similar happened back during WWI or WWII (I forget which one, exactly). Someone in the food biz changed the name of the "frankfurter" to "hot dog" since the original was "too Germanic" for the public. I think they did that to "sauerkraut" (is that how you spell it?) too and changed it to something similar to "freedom fries". I think it was "freedom cabbage" or something like that.

Just goes to show that some people have too much time on their hands.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
>Burgerking is my lover..

It is just too bad you aren't blessed with a heavenly double-bouble from In-n-Out burger. Currently you can find them in southern California and Nevada. No, they aren't that small of a chain. It's just that they have this thing about distance - they like to keep their meat as fresh as possible (never frozen), so they have limitations. And their fries don't taste like grease in the solid state. Can you belive that they have a higher mass percentage of potato over oil?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
wcipAngel: Marry me! :P

I agree though, few things can beat the taste of a good pound of flesh(hell, see my post on pig soup)

And yes, I also agree that KFC makes the best(hell, almost the ONLY) mashed potato in town. Their "new"(introduced a few years ago) potato wedges are pretty damn good though.

Chips+Vinegar: If that's anything like Salt and Vinegar Pringles crisps, no thanks. I really dislike vinegar. Hmm, I'm gonna start a new thread: "Name your strangest food"
AtomicKitKat,Mar 14 2003, 04:58 AM Wrote:...Chips+Vinegar: If that's anything like Salt and Vinegar Pringles crisps, no thanks. I really dislike vinegar. Hmm, I'm gonna start a new thread: "Name your strangest food"
In the defense of chips+vinegar lovers everywhere, Pringles makes the mistake of flavoring with white vinegar. Malt vinegar has a disntinctive taste that mellows the acidity. When you're going for white vinegar-flavored chips like that in Pringles or Lays, you're getting a taste of clean acetic acid—that's not the best way to go...
that makes the difference.

I just can't seem to find the same joy in balsamic vinegar, which seems to have become quite the rage lately.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Maybe I'll just skip the vinegar part and dunk the chips in malt liqour instead. :P
Pete,Mar 12 2003, 05:53 PM Wrote:Hi,

what is plural for doofus ?

I'll give you a hint.  It's the opposite of "progress" ;)

--Pete
That's pretty good, Pete. :lol:

Cheers.