This seems a little ridiculous
http://msnbc.com/news/883853.asp

Come on now, that's like taking away credit from the U.S. for their "American" (a.k.a. processed everywhere else) cheese!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
That's... effective. :huh:

I love this part, though:
Quote:The French Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment, except to say that french fries actually come from Belgium.

Reserved and efficient. It's so nice to point out idiocy without having to actually point it out.

Typical American Soundbite tripe. I imagine I'll see it on CNN. Maybe even Wolfy will headline it.

Oo. Larry King could invite this joker in for a whole HOUR of abuse, along with the support he'd garner from the States without running water or edumacation. You tell 'em, Hoss!
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
There is truly no limit to human stupidity. What would that accomplish?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
It was childish and petulant the first time, it's childish and petulant now. And this time it's the U.S. House of Representatives. Unfortunately.

-Skan
The more troubling story of the related field was the proposal by one Floridian congressmember who wanted to exhume the American dead at Normandy and take them back to the States.

Yeah. Wipe away the honored memory of the tragedy and achievement these men sought and pretend that all they died for was the dream of another world long lost to us, just to satisfy the petty displeasure of a temporal political issue.

Oh, and one should note that "American" cheese is simply the mildest form of Cheddar. Not stolen. Just styled.

Colby or Monterey Jack—now those are American cheeses. Fine, strong cheeses. Scary, what folks will do to cheese. Especially the French ;)

I mean, who was the first guy in the world to think bread mold packed into a cheese was a good thing!?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I hadn't heard of that yet, but that is appalling, no matter the context. Can't say much more than that. The guy should be strung up.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 12 2003, 08:11 PM Wrote:Scary, what folks will do to cheese. Especially the French  ;)

I mean, who was the first guy in the world to think bread mold packed into a cheese was a good thing!?
There's one in Denmark called Gamle Ule. I'm not sure of the exact spelling but the translation is "Old Ule" (Ule being a fairly common name there). A supermarket marketing ploy one time had the supply of this cheese restrained by a length of chain to prevent it from running away.

Another Scandinavian one from further north is a cheese that's wrapped and then aged in horse manure. I've never tried it, but my aquaintence who has described the taste as . . . well horse manure.

But none of this has anything on what Swedes sometimes do with fish! :lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Hahaha.. "Freedom fries". They can't be serious. I'm not even going to mention how utterly moronic it is to change the name of a dish just because France won't support their reign of terror in Iraq.

.. but "Freedom fries"? Is that really the best name American conventialism managed to spew out?

Why not call it "American Fries" in good ol' national tradition? They have "American hamburgers", "American grill"... what's wrong with "American fries"? (or any other name for that matter.)

What about "Nine-eleven Fries", "Death to Osama and Hussein fries", "Does anyone really believe that we're not invading Iraq for the oil? fries"

It's utterly stupid to change the name of "French fries", and it's made even worse by the name they chose.

"Freedom fries"... you know fries make you fat. Doesn't the fact that you're obese limit your freedom to do things?

Next time I go to Burgerking here in Stavanger, (Norway) I'll order a whopper burger with a side of "Lack of freedom" fries.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
What, exactly, the hell is wrong with just conventional "fries?"
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:I mean, who was the first guy in the world to think bread mold packed into a cheese was a good thing!?

Probably the same fellow that watched a bottom-feeding lobster crawling along the bottom of the beachline and said "I'm gonna eat that".

Brave! :blink:
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
This is a more likely version of events:

"I'm gonna eat that. It's not like those claws are dangerous, they're probably just for slicing open fish."

*Thirty nine seconds later*

"AAAAAGH! GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF!"
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 12 2003, 07:05 AM Wrote:Probably the same fellow that watched a bottom-feeding lobster crawling along the bottom of the beachline and said "I'm gonna eat that".
IIRC, the main use of those lobsters in the first colonies in North America was servant food.

The 'master and mistress' of the household sure as heck wouldn't be touching those bottom feeding monstrosities. There were indenture contracts that specified that the servant had to be served 'not-lobster' on one day a week. :huh:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

You mean millions of dollars will have to be spent by restaraunts and fast food places to change their menu's/advertisements/signs in order to conform to some doofus' (what is plural for doofus ?) , that probably have a 6 figure income, making a 'symbolic' stance against the naming of food ? They could have used the money that was wasted in this effort to feed homeless starving people.

I vote we ship whomever supports this should be packed up and shipped out to some cannibal village somewhere :P

EDIT: D'oh ! I misread that wrong - DC Cafeterias , not U.S. wide .... yet. I guess that will mean more business for printing presses , restaraunts will pay more since "Freedom" is a bit bigger word than "French". So theres an example of the cost of "Freedom" , no ? :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Nitefox,Mar 12 2003, 11:50 AM Wrote:What, exactly, the hell is wrong with just conventional "fries?"
Or "french fries" for that matter :)

It's just so absurd, it's difficult to fathom the stupidity..
Doofus-->plural: Doofi
:P
ShadowHM,Mar 12 2003, 07:29 AM Wrote:There were indenture contracts that specified that the servant had to be served 'not-lobster' on one day a week.    :huh:
Of very little interest, and a bit too late, but when in high school in Massachusetts I remember hearing that as the MA. Senate was reviewing there ledgers for outdated laws someone came across an act prohibiting the feeding of lobster to children more often the 3 times a week. I guess children still ranked above servants...

I have no proof of this, but who knows what else was passed by the legislature who decreed "Thou shalt not work on Sunday."
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote:what is plural for doofus ?

Politicians.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
:lol: The George Carlin calendar for today says "I don't care if there is a nuclear war as long as I can get some french fries" :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Hi,

what is plural for doofus ?

I'll give you a hint. It's the opposite of "progress" ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I watched The Daily Show last night, which is a rarity, and this item came up. I thought it was a joke that his writers, or he himself, came up with.

Ruling?

Empty gesture, form/substance > 1.

" . . . inspired by Cubbie’s restaurant in Beaufort, N.C. . . . one of the first to put “freedom fries” on the menu instead of french fries."

Representative Ney, chairman of the House Administration Committee, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the menu changes.

*slaps forehead* How did this action rise to the top of the "To Do" list? This makes the obsession over Lewinskian fellatio seem positively sober.

Quote:On a more serious note, Republican Jim Saxton of New Jersey has proposed a ban on Pentagon participation in this year’s Paris Air Show and restrictions on French participation in any postwar construction projects in Iraq.  But House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a news conference that applying legislative sanctions to France was not necessary. “I don’t think we have to retaliate against France. They’ve isolated themselves pretty well,” he said.

I agree with Mr Delay on the first sentence, but am not convinced that he is correct in his second sentence. Maybe the French are doing what we are doing, acting within what they feel is their national interest. (Estimated 10-14 billion in oil royalties for Elf-Fina? That ain't chicken feed.) The only real hole in the French position, depending on how you look at it, is that they supported 1441, yet for the previous 8 years had been working to get sanctions lifted, even though Iraq had not complied fully with any previous sanctions. In the long view, the French were consistent in that they were undermining the initial UN mandate in the process in pursuit of their own goals. Probably not the only nation that ever did that.

Pomme frites are pomme frites, (did I spell that correctly?) and I might add that the Belgians do them better than anyone else. I particluarly like their varied choices of sauce in which to dip the frites. Ketchup? Too many better choices in Brussels, though I seem to remember it being available.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete