Ten Reasons Not to Make a MMOG
http://www.gamespy.com/gdc2003/top10mmog/

Interesting stuff. But isn't this all kinda "well, duh"? And explains why every release of a MMOG to date has gone pretty poorly at first...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Wonder if the guys at Blizzard went "oops, we forgot about number . . ."
I hope not. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:He talked about how limiting the current crop of games are, noting that EverQuest and Ultima Online were both originally developed to charge people hourly fees and hence were meant to be as addictive and time-consuming as possible. "We need games that can give people higher quality -- and shorter -- entertainment experiences," he asserted.

EQ was supposed to be by the hour? That explains quite a bit!
FoxBat,Mar 7 2003, 11:13 PM Wrote:EQ was supposed to be by the hour?  That explains quite a bit!
No kidding. Did you know that Verant actually employs psychologists to try and make their game as addictive as possible?

Disgusting, and one of the reasons I'll never touch EQ/2 with a 10 foot pole.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
This may be old news, but was that you on dii.net with the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly discussion on PK's?

Just curious.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 10 2003, 04:53 PM Wrote:This may be old news, but was that you on dii.net with the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly discussion on PK's? 

Just curious.
Doesn't ring a bell.

*sigh* I really should get around to changing my Internet tag. Way too unoriginal and shared by half the Earth's population apparently.

<_<
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 8 2003, 04:08 PM Wrote:No kidding. Did you know that Verant actually employs psychologists to try and make their game as addictive as possible?

Disgusting, and one of the reasons I'll never touch EQ/2 with a 10 foot pole.
*Shudders* No wonder why they call it Evercrack :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Heh. That reminds me of the other name I used to give it: ForeverQuest.
- Krakhan Tyr
(Possessor of the accursed Bloody Hand)

A Quote:

----
- "What we're trying to attain is a normal everyday life, without quarrels, without fighting, a place where a human can live like a human."

- "That place...that place doesn't exist at all!"
----