Portal free on steam until the 24th.
Hey all,

Just a heads up that in celebration of Steam's release on the mac Valve has lowered Portal to the unbeatable price of 0.

Great game, great price.

(Fair warning: The servers are pretty crushed so it may take some time before you are able to get the download running.)
(05-13-2010, 04:59 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Hey all,

Just a heads up that in celebration of Steam's release on the mac Valve has lowered Portal to the unbeatable price of 0.

Great game, great price.

(Fair warning: The servers are pretty crushed so it may take some time before you are able to get the download running.)
Got it. Smile I've played through the Beta, but never thought it was worth the price... until now.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I actually came here just to post this.
(05-13-2010, 04:59 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Great game, great price.
If that game taught me anything, it's to beware companies telling you they're going to give you free stuff.

-Jester
I don't think its free. When I first went to Steam, it said, "Download". I had to make an account and download steam, and once I did that, it now says, "Play", but not download. Does this mean I can only play it on Steam free until May 24th unless I buy it?

EDIT: I don't even think Steam is working?!? I click the PLAY button, and my task manager says something is on, and Steam is in the applications, but it will not open and nothing is happening? Is it suppose to be downloading Portal? This is one of the reasons I deleted Steam before... I couldn't stand its interface!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(05-14-2010, 03:51 AM)MEAT Wrote: I don't think its free. When I first went to Steam, it said, "Download". I had to make an account and download steam, and once I did that, it now says, "Play", but not download. Does this mean I can only play it on Steam free until May 24th unless I buy it?

EDIT: I don't even think Steam is working?!? I click the PLAY button, and my task manager says something is on, and Steam is in the applications, but it will not open and nothing is happening? Is it suppose to be downloading Portal? This is one of the reasons I deleted Steam before... I couldn't stand its interface!
Maybe you don't understand Steam. When I buy a game through steam, it knows I own it, even if I uninstall it from my system. So, over time I own many games recognized by steam, but I only have the ones installed that I want to play. For example, I own HL2, but I played through it for a few months, and now it's not installed on my system. I removed it to make room for Left For Dead, and Left for Dead 2. There was a PopCap special a couple years ago where I could buy like 30 popular Popcap games for $30, but I don't play them all the time, so I have like one or two favorites installed, but should I desire, it would take about 15 minutes to pull one down from steam. I played through Torchlight for $10 when it was on special, and played it for about 100 hours over a couple months. Same deal, I install it when I want to play it.

Now, another feature of steam is that my account moves with me by signon, so if I move to another machine, I can play the games I own there as well. A friend of mine builds gaming machines, so once or twice a month he has a gaming party and a bunch of us head over to his house and we all jump on one of his machines and duke it out until the wee hours of the morning. We all have Steam, and we can play whatever games we all have licensed.

So, yes, Steam is free, you install it and run it when you like. If you don't want it running, you can shut it down. It will download games into a local content area, and if you want to free up the space you can remove the local content if you like (and download later if you like). It also allows me to add shortcuts to non-steam games, so I can use Steam's interface to launch all my games if I like.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Hum, well when I said, "I don't think its free," I was referring to Portal.

So your telling me that by downloading it on Steam, I now have it forever? Or does Steam know I downloaded it for free, and it will expire on May 24th?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, only reason I'm downloading it for my PC is that I want to play Portal Prelude.

EDIT2: Steam says: "a source engine game is required to run mods" . WTF is that all about? I have Portal installed for crying out loud.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(05-14-2010, 04:30 AM)MEAT Wrote: Hum, well when I said, "I don't think its free," I was referring to Portal.
Yes, Portal is free.
Quote:So your telling me that by downloading it on Steam, I now have it forever?
Yes.
Quote:EDIT: Forgot to mention, only reason I'm downloading it for my PC is that I want to play Portal Prelude.
Should not be a problem... The mods directory is within the Steam / SteamApps folder structure.
Quote:EDIT2: Steam says: "a source engine game is required to run mods" . WTF is that all about? I have Portal installed for crying out loud.
I would think Portal qualifies for having a Source engine game. ( The others being CS: Source, TF: Source, HL2: Source, etc...) Make sure you have the mod installed in the correct folder.

(05-13-2010, 08:07 PM)Jester Wrote: If that game taught me anything, it's to beware companies telling you they're going to give you free stuff.

It's quite surprising for me to hear that any Lurker wouldn't like Portal. If nothing else it should be worth it to play a game with some creativity in a generation of sequels and clone rehashes.
(05-14-2010, 06:35 PM)Nystul Wrote: It's quite surprising for me to hear that any Lurker wouldn't like Portal. If nothing else it should be worth it to play a game with some creativity in a generation of sequels and clone rehashes.
No no no. I loved Portal. Fantastic game.

My reference was more to corporate promises of delicious baked goods. Cool

-Jester
(05-14-2010, 07:43 PM)Jester Wrote: No no no. I loved Portal. Fantastic game.

My reference was more to corporate promises of delicious baked goods. Cool

Ah. A game with a sense of humor also.
In case anyone hasn't made up their mind yet on whether or not they should grab this while it's free, I'll make it really easy to decide:

If you don't pick this up, you're an idiot.

Moving on... Cool
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(05-14-2010, 04:14 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Maybe you don't understand Steam.

I friggin' LOVE Steam. I first installed it when a buddy of mine bought The Orange Box and had a free copy of Half Life 2 to give to someone with a Steam account, so I gave it a shot. Free HL2, woohoo!

Then I found an offer that allowed me to get some HL2 stuff (I think it was Lost Coast, Episode 1, and something else) if I owned either a Nvidia or ATI videocard. They were different games for each card, so I logged into Steam on my two computers which each had different cards and claimed all of the free games. Once they were added to my Steam games list, it didn't matter which computer I played them on since they were tied to the account and not the computer.

I also LOVE how I can install/re-install games at my leisure and not worry about installation disks or CD-keys, and the fact that Steam auto-updates things silently. Steam is a great service.
Hi,

(05-14-2010, 09:34 PM)Bolty Wrote: If you don't pick this up, you're an idiot.
Guilty as charged, probably. It's not that I don't want Portal for free, it's that, after their poor start, I'm not sure that I want Steam on any of my systems. Sometimes, the price for 'free' is too high.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(05-14-2010, 11:37 PM)--Pete Wrote: Guilty as charged, probably. It's not that I don't want Portal for free, it's that, after their poor start, I'm not sure that I want Steam on any of my systems. Sometimes, the price for 'free' is too high.

Steam is great now.
(05-14-2010, 11:37 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Guilty as charged, probably. It's not that I don't want Portal for free, it's that, after their poor start, I'm not sure that I want Steam on any of my systems. Sometimes, the price for 'free' is too high.

--Pete

I've been firmly planted in the "idiot" camp as well. However, this has me thinking about taking another look.Undecided
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-14-2010, 11:37 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

--Pete

I don't use Flash on my computers either.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:Steam is great now.

It's not if you don't have a reliable internet connection.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(05-16-2010, 06:25 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
Quote:Steam is great now.
It's not if you don't have a reliable internet connection.
Which 3rd world nation do you live in?

(05-16-2010, 06:25 AM)LennyLen Wrote: It's not if you don't have a reliable internet connection.

You can play Steam games in "offline" mode.