How are you guys becoming filthy rich?
I started playing again just before Cata launched, and rolled a Human Warrior on a fresh account and took up mining/herbalism. That made me the money I needed to get all the flight training I needed as I went along.

When I hit 85, I dropped herbalism for JC and started to make buckets of cash. Prospecting is almost a "Give me money" button now. I don't even have to cut gems.

When cata launched I had maybe 100g to my name. Now I have like 23k gold and I am earning about 2k-3k per day selling raw gems. I don't even have to play the AH much. I just prospect what I have and check the AH for cheap ores, then post everything.
(02-19-2011, 05:04 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I started playing again just before Cata launched, and rolled a Human Warrior on a fresh account and took up mining/herbalism. That made me the money I needed to get all the flight training I needed as I went along.

When I hit 85, I dropped herbalism for JC and started to make buckets of cash. Prospecting is almost a "Give me money" button now. I don't even have to cut gems.

When cata launched I had maybe 100g to my name. Now I have like 23k gold and I am earning about 2k-3k per day selling raw gems. I don't even have to play the AH much. I just prospect what I have and check the AH for cheap ores, then post everything.

Before a week and a half ago I never seriously tried to get gold. I would hoard all my mats for alts until the mats were lost in the mail. Except I still have a bank tab full of BC fish. That's the way it's been for the last six years.

Now I am selling Truegold and cut red gems, plus excess herbs and elementals. Selling raw gems did not do much for me, except on the matching day of the JC daily.

I have not been buying any mats so everything I sell is profit. Fortunately Tribade enjoys mining. And about an hour ago Elynittria made level 85 by herbing.

What I should do is investigate if there are any flasks/potions etc. that sell well. We have far too many herbs to auction. I would welcome suggestions for which flasks/potions would be good options.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I'm... Not.

On the other hand, I'm actually doing pretty well compared to how I've been when I've freshly dinged the level cap in the past two expansions. I've got a fair stock of cash on hand, enough to buy a Rare or two (Might go for a Kickback 5000, if I see one cheap enough), and I'm not succumbing to the temptation to turn most of my cash into tradeskill materials. Maxing Leatherworking isn't a pretty high priority compared to farming rep and cash. Also not upgrading all my bags and bank bags has helped save some cash. Not having a bag bot (yet) means I'm dependant on the trade market, and 22 slot bags are depressingly expensive on my server compared to how 20 slot bags were during Wrath.

Weirdly, I'm also still doing the Argent Tournament dailies for Heirlooms and it's turning out to be very profitable. Wrath dailies are actually worth more raw cash at max level than the Therazane dailies, and there's the warm fuzzy feeling that I'm not wasting JP on items for alts that I may not even level fully. Maybe about the time I stop dicking around with Archeology I might have something to do with all the cash I've made in the process, but right now I've got other priorities than greed.
(02-19-2011, 05:50 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Maybe about the time I stop dicking around with Archeology I might have something to do with all the cash I've made in the process, but right now I've got other priorities than greed.

Oddly it was archaeology that prompted me to start amassing gold. All my characters now want sandstone drakes.
(02-19-2011, 08:02 PM)LavCat Wrote:
(02-19-2011, 05:50 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Maybe about the time I stop dicking around with Archeology I might have something to do with all the cash I've made in the process, but right now I've got other priorities than greed.

Oddly it was archaeology that prompted me to start amassing gold. All my characters now want sandstone drakes.

Of course, it could also be said that Archeology is the only "free" profession. Barring the low training costs, and maybe any flights you pay for, you don't have to spend anything to level it. If, like myself, you fly everywhere manually, even cross-continent (Oh, I love those Felwood -> Un'goro flights) you save even more.

And some of those vendor trash items you can assemble are worth a fair amount. I vendored a Night Elf piece worth 100 gold the other day. Granted, it's not going to make you an absolute fortune, and neither is the sideline you get from auctioning all those greens and blues you find from any nearby Rares or chests, but at least your outlay is near zero.

Couple that with your usual money making scams, and you've got yourself a nice, reliable sideline to help pay the bills. Now if only Archeology wasn't more akin to shooting oneself in the skull.
(02-19-2011, 08:44 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Of course, it could also be said that Archeology is the only "free" profession. Barring the low training costs, and maybe any flights you pay for, you don't have to spend anything to level it. If, like myself, you fly everywhere manually, even cross-continent (Oh, I love those Felwood -> Un'goro flights) you save even more.

Then again I leveled a level 5 hunter of mine to 525 in fishing. Her fishing pole did not cost much either. Sadly the Blump family is no longer in the fishing business.
I mine, mostly. Either I sell the volatiles and ores straight-off, or I prospect the ore and sell the cut gems (and turn the others into metas or greens for enchanting mats). Lately I've also levelled Tailoring, which means many of my volatiles now go to my tailor instead of to the AH.

I've got one Sandstone Drake on my main and do not intend to get more. :p
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I haven't ended up as rich as I had hoped yet. I invested about 75k into jc items pretty early in cata, and then the gem market blew up on me. so I'm trying to make money of that in unique ways while I move other items. I have almost made my money back, and I'm selling things for the guild too.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Here's a few easy steps to get rich without doing all that much. Your only prereq is a lack of morals.

Step 1: Create/Take over a guild.
Step 2: Invite lots and lots of active people.
Step 3: Turn off people taking items/gold from the guild bank.
Step 4: Wait. Eventually the guild will get perks like cash flow and whatnot.
Step 5: when the pot is filled, empty the guild bank and disband the guild.
Step 6 (optional): Switch servers with the help of your friendly Blizzard Getaway Service®.

I didn't do this, but one of my former guildmasters did. I was an officer in the guild and I recreated the guild with some others after he pulled the above. When I went to the GM's they told me the Guild bank and the guild itself are the posession of the Guild master, and this is completely allowed under their policies. They wouldn't lift a finger to return anything or even putting our guild back at it's original level. So it's officially supported by Blizzard.

See my rant here. Smile
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/...175?page=1
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
That is a rather unfortunate loophole. You have my commiseration.

The only upside is that this takes too long to be worth doing for many people.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
That is serious crap.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(02-21-2011, 01:42 PM)Crusader Wrote: Here's a few easy steps to get rich without doing all that much. Your only prereq is a lack of morals.

An even easier way is to post cheap cloth on the AH for lots of gold hoping some over tired fool will misclick. (As I just did.)

I feel really, really stupid. That's what I get for trying to level tailoring the easy way.
(02-22-2011, 03:10 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(02-21-2011, 01:42 PM)Crusader Wrote: Here's a few easy steps to get rich without doing all that much. Your only prereq is a lack of morals.

An even easier way is to post cheap cloth on the AH for lots of gold hoping some over tired fool will misclick. (As I just did.)

I feel really, really stupid. That's what I get for trying to level tailoring the easy way.

I don't list it at stupid high prices, but I make a few hundred gold a week buying stuff like linen cloth from the new players who list it at <10 silver each (or even 10 silver a stack sometimes) I buy and re-list at more appropriate prices for the market. People regularly seem to buy linen at ~10g per stack, which is low enough that I feel I'm not totally ripping people off.

Not tons of gold, but it supplements other income.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(02-23-2011, 09:47 PM)Concillian Wrote:
(02-22-2011, 03:10 AM)LavCat Wrote:

I don't list it at stupid high prices, but I make a few hundred gold a week buying stuff like linen cloth from the new players who list it at <10 silver each (or even 10 silver a stack sometimes) I buy and re-list at more appropriate prices for the market. People regularly seem to buy linen at ~10g per stack, which is low enough that I feel I'm not totally ripping people off.

Not tons of gold, but it supplements other income.

I ended up buying 5 bolts of cloth for 810g.

In the olden days I would buy cheap cloth, turn it into bandages, and vendor it for a profit.
(02-24-2011, 07:04 AM)LavCat Wrote: In the olden days I would buy cheap cloth, turn it into bandages, and vendor it for a profit.

I do this with uncut green gems listed for under 9g.
I started a death knight to join my friends on a new server and took up herbalism/mining. 15 hours /played later I have both at 375 and earned over 5000g. Now working on that extra 1000g for epic flying. I'm level 64 now, so leveling takes a severe hit, but the money's good. For some reason Mithril and certain herbs are worth tons of money. Some Burning Crusade herbs even as much as 100g/stack. I'm not complaining though. Smile
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Mithril was good to me (or my levelling Paladin) until about two weeks ago, then prices plummeted to 17g/stack Sad.
Thankfully Thick and Rugged Leather still bring some gold, I made roughly 1700g from levels 47-57. Overall, making money while leveling has never been as easy as now, in my perception.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I've stopped mining completely, and just buy cheap ore stacks and prospect them. in 5 mins of work, I make anywhere from 1k-3k per day depending on how much cheap ore is at the AH. The best I ever did in a single day was about 6k because I found a crapload of cheap elementium ore and camped the AH to buyout undercuts to keep gem prices good and high. It was fun, but labour-intensive.
Watch patch notes and plan ahead. Darkmoon cards/decks was a decent way to make money, but right now i wouldn't recommend it too highly. I invested about 20-30k into it and have made roughly 40k, but that isn't a huge profit and it was a ton of work. THe best thing i can recommend to making gold on wow is to farm up something that is easy to farm, get around 40-50k, and then start investing in something that you know will be worth more later on.

For me, that means amassing pyrite ore since it will be prospectable for epic gems eventually (probably in 4.2). So far i have bought roughly 40k worth of pyrite @ 3-4 gold per ore ( i only buy when prices dip low ). If you remember, Titanium ore (the wrath equivalent) spiked to as high as 15-20 gold per ore. Cata gold is hugely inflated, but if pyrite ore spikes to just as high as titanium did in wrath, I will triple or quadruple my money. If it goes as high as I think it will.. i will probably get 9-10x that back if i sell it, possibly even more if i prospect it on my JC (who is hoarding JC tokens for the epic gem patch, currently at about 40 of em) and cut epic gems, which I could see selling for easily 300-500 gold per in the first 2-3 weeks after epic gem patch is released.

So that's my plan anyway. I'd like to have around 100k invested into pyrite ore by the time the epic gem patch hits, and if i make my money back x10 then.. well you get the picture, WoW millionaire inc =)

FYI if you do this you're going to need to invest in a seperate personal guild back on an alt. My alt has a 5 tab bank + full bank with all bag slots full of pyrite atm, and i ahve a ton left on another character too.
Last night while doing the Stormwind fishing daily, the Mechanical Squirrel Box schematic dropped for my druid. I plan to give it to my DK to level her engineering with. We shall corner the Mechanical Squirrel market.

That and the market for used frogs, since Flik shows no signs of despawning.