Another Movie Thread - Because We Love Them So
I was interested in Priest because the trailers look good. But then I read a review that said, "unfortunately, the majority of the movie is given over to battle sequences that lack much ingenuity or narrative drive." Now you make me wonder if I should see it. I want to go to a movie on Father's day with my son. Priest or Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Hmm.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(06-09-2011, 03:42 AM)Alram Wrote: I was interested in Priest because the trailers look good. But then I read a review that said, "unfortunately, the majority of the movie is given over to battle sequences that lack much ingenuity or narrative drive."

I liked Priest because it was about badass heroes fighting heroically against evil vampires, over and over again. And really, do battle sequences really need a "narrative drive"?

I'm not saying that Priest is an Oscar contender (it's not), but if you are a fan of sci-fi post-apoc then Priest is worth at least a look.
(06-09-2011, 03:20 AM)DeeBye Wrote: New movie recommendation: Priest
I liked Priest a LOT. It's a post-apocalyptic thing with vampires, and badass priests that kill them. It sort of reminded me of The Book of Eli , but with WAY more action and a much better story.

Hi,
I really liked The Book of Eli but it was not about vampires. You might be thinking about Vampires (1998) by Director: John Carpenter.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(06-09-2011, 04:33 AM)Jim Wrote: I really liked The Book of Eli but it was not about vampires. You might be thinking about Vampires (1998) by Director: John Carpenter.
I enjoyed the Book of Eli too. I always like the concept of a reserved, capable, tough protagonist who only turns to violence as a last resort. They get extra cool points if they are blind, or in some other way handicapped. For example, I love the old Shintarô Katsu as Zatôichi movies.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-09-2011, 01:57 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(06-09-2011, 04:33 AM)Jim Wrote: I really liked The Book of Eli
I enjoyed the Book of Eli too. I always like the concept of a reserved, capable, tough protagonist who only turns to violence as a last resort. They get extra cool points if they are blind, or in some other way handicapped. For example, I love the old Shintarô Katsu as Zatôichi movies.

Hi,

Now in terms easy to understand...He was a quite, kick ass, SOB !!! Cool

I don't think he was 100% blind I think he had 1 eye he could see through even if just a blury vision.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(06-09-2011, 04:33 AM)Jim Wrote: I really liked The Book of Eli but it was not about vampires. You might be thinking about Vampires (1998) by Director: John Carpenter.

No, I meant that Priest and Book of Eli were similar in that they were both post-apoc sci-fi with very religious antagonists with special abilities that ignore convention and go the route that they think is right.

Quote:I don't think he was 100% blind I think he had 1 eye he could see through even if just a blury vision.

I'm quite convinced Eli was 100% blind, and had always been blind. He was granted with the ability to sense things around him when he gained his other special abilities, to help him in his quest.
Super 8
I saw it yesterday in an IMAX theater with my son.
1. It is full of cliches drawn from the genre, intentionally so, I believe. That often makes it fun. It also makes the plot predictable.
2. The train wreck scene is great in IMAX.
3. At the end of Super 8 when the credits are showing, after a bit, they show another movie done in Super 8. Make sure you don't leave the theater until it is over.
4. Good sense of humor, good special effects.
5. Not a profound movie, but good entertainment on a hot summer day.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]